Posted to alt.home.repair

Default New deck - to stain or not to stain?

Hi there --

My house in the Pacific Northwest is 47 years old, I've owned it for 8
years, and the deck that existed when I bought the house got so rotten in
parts that this year I had it all ripped out and rebuilt. (The guy that
owned the house before me had built the deck with non-pressure treated
lumber, so without knowing it I was actually walking around on sawdust
that looked like a deck.)

The contractor I hired to build the deck is also my neighbor and friend. He
does excellent work and I trust his opinion unchallenged 99.9% of the time
-- but this time I have to seek additional opinions.

He says I should not stain my new cedar deck unless for some reason I want
it to be a different color.

I was under the impression that deck stain was pretty much required to
protect the wood from bacteria, fungus, water damage, and mold.

He says no.

If he's right I will be happy -- pressure washing and restaining the deck
every two years to keep it looking good has been a total pain. (It's a
really big deck, rebuilding was 4K in lumber and 3k in labor.)

So what do you guys think? Is it necessary to stain the deck or not?

Thanks for any feedback you can provide.

FA
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 31, 10:51*am, FenderAxe wrote:
[...]

I would at least oil now it with Cabots oil clear. It will go grey
alot quicker without treatment, or a transparent stain that wont
change its color. I would not do nothing, I have a cedar shake house.
It will still need almost yearly maintenance even if you treat it now.
Posted to alt.home.repair

FenderAxe wrote:
[...]

Typical Western Red Cedar? He's right- the stuff, to a certain point is
rot-resistant, and covering it may even hurt. People pay extra money to
build with that versus PT lumber for the looks, and for easier upkeep.
Some people do seal it to keep the red color versus the silver it will
fade to, but I'm rather fond of how it looks naked.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

"FenderAxe" wrote in message
He says I should not stain my new cedar deck unless for some reason I want
it to be a different color.

I was under the impression that deck stain was pretty much required to
protect the wood from bacteria, fungus, water damage, and mold.

He says no.

He's right. Cedar has built in protection. That's why you use cedar,
redwood, mahogany, ipe or teak. I'd preserve the natural color with
Penofin oil though. Put a coat on every few years.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 31 Aug 2008 15:51:58 GMT, FenderAxe wrote:

[...]

It is not necessary to stain a deck. If you do, it will last much
longer. Water is very damaging to wood, so whatever you do to help
keep it dry will help. Expect a deck to last 10 to 30 years. Decks,
especially large ones, are high maintenance.

Posted to alt.home.repair

FenderAxe wrote:

[...]

We replaced our large desk with a "white" cedar desk a few years ago and put
a clear Penofin treatment on it. It peeled off in about a year and I had
the supplier's rep take a look at it. His findings "just the way it is".

I've NOT restained again but next sprint, after a cleaning/brightener, I
might try another clear or transparent 'cause I miss the fabulous look of
clear cedar.

Good luck.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Bob M" wrote in message
We replaced our large desk with a "white" cedar desk a few years ago and
put
a clear Penofin treatment on it. It peeled off in about a year and I had
the supplier's rep take a look at it. His findings "just the way it is".

I've used Penofin for years. There is nothing to peel off. It is an oil
that soaks into the wood. You must have put many coats to build up to
anything peelable.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in
:

"Bob M" wrote in message
We replaced our large desk with a "white" cedar desk a few years ago
and put
a clear Penofin treatment on it. It peeled off in about a year and I
had the supplier's rep take a look at it. His findings "just the way
it is".

I've used Penofin for years. There is nothing to peel off. It is an
oil that soaks into the wood. You must have put many coats to build
up to anything peelable.

Thanks everyone for your responses, I appreciate it! Still haven't decided
what to do though. :-)

FA