Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Blade Test Redux

While I loved the comments about the Forrest WWII, I did not get a lot of
response to my original quesiton.

So, since I am the curious sort, will one of you with a Forrest WWII, and a
talent for evaluation, allow me to send a 50tooth HF blade to you, you run
the comparison test and give a report to the group?

I ask this for two reason, some of us are on a tight budget and for us a
Forrest WWII would be a serious stretch. Also, if this blade compares as I
think it will, it will be a good option for those of us on a tight budget,
since it costs about half what you are speniding on resharpening.

Thanks

Deb
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/15/2012 7:29 PM, Dr. Deb wrote:

While I loved the comments about the Forrest WWII, I did not get a lot of
response to my original quesiton.

So, since I am the curious sort, will one of you with a Forrest WWII, and a
talent for evaluation, allow me to send a 50tooth HF blade to you, you run
the comparison test and give a report to the group?

I ask this for two reason, some of us are on a tight budget and for us a
Forrest WWII would be a serious stretch. Also, if this blade compares as I
think it will, it will be a good option for those of us on a tight budget,
since it costs about half what you are speniding on resharpening.

Thanks

Deb

Absolutely.
I was totally satisfied with a Freud blade I had been using.
A birthday was approaching and on an impulse I added a Forrest WWII to
my wish list at Amazon.
To my delight I received the blade.
I wish I had bought one when I first heard of them.
I have a brand new, unused Freud.
I would be glad to test all three blades.

Max
Posted to rec.woodworking

Max wrote in
b.com:

Absolutely.
I was totally satisfied with a Freud blade I had been using.
A birthday was approaching and on an impulse I added a Forrest WWII to
my wish list at Amazon.
To my delight I received the blade.
I wish I had bought one when I first heard of them.
I have a brand new, unused Freud.
I would be glad to test all three blades.

Max

I've been happy with the Freud Diablo blades (have dulled a few), but I
might have to give a WWII a try sometime soon. You guys are good at
spending my money, it's a good thing I don't take every suggestion!

Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Max wrote:
[...]

Thank you! There are probably lots of us that are curious about the
results (how can one trust magazine reviewers, for instance)!

Bill

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/16/2012 7:13 AM, Leon wrote:

Actually, he could do the same himself buy a Forrest at Woodcraft and
take it back if he does not like the blade.

The chances of that are slim to none ... rarely does a Forrest owner go
back. That said, I'm also very happy with my Freud Glue-Line Rip and
Dial-a-Width dado stack.

--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/16/12 7:13 AM, Leon wrote:
On 5/15/2012 11:56 PM, -MIKE- wrote:
In any case, you may be setting yourself up for disappointment. HF
blades are hit or miss. Someone may test the blade for you and it could
do great, but there's a chance that none of the stock at your store is
any good and you got a poor blade.... or vice versa.

Actually, he could do the same himself buy a Forrest at Woodcraft and
take it back if he does not like the blade.

Great idea. Please buy it at my local store so I can buy it after you
return it, for 20% off. :-)

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/16/12 9:15 AM, Swingman wrote:
I'm also very happy with my Freud Glue-Line Rip

me, too

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/16/12 11:32 AM, tiredofspam wrote:
actually HF is starting to not accept things without a receipt or if 90
days old.

"starting to?" No, that's been their *written* policy since the start.

I bought something that was defective (a 24 compartement box) it was 90
days old, but everytime I went back they didn't have them in stock, and
because I bought it on sale I wanted the sale price. They refused to
exchange it, even though it was unopened.

I also went to replace a hand tool (c clip ) type pliers that the points
had bent on . 12-14 years old... they wanted a receipt, wouldn't replace
them without it.

So much for the 100% guarantee on hand tools, or satisfaction guarantee.

Again, I don't see the issue. Their very customer-friendly return policy
is very clearly stated in or on everything they sell and on big posters
in every store.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/16/2012 1:18 PM, -MIKE- wrote:
On 5/16/12 11:32 AM, tiredofspam wrote:
actually HF is starting to not accept things without a receipt or if 90
days old.

"starting to?" No, that's been their *written* policy since the start.

It may have been their policy, but they have replaced items that failed
in the past without a receipt. They also exchanged items over 90 days
unopened in the past with a receipt. They now won't exchange, I didn't
ask for a refund, just an exchange.

As far as tools that are old, I guess they expect you to keep the
receipts forever. So lifetime means you keep your receipt for the lifetime.

I bought something that was defective (a 24 compartement box) it was 90
days old, but everytime I went back they didn't have them in stock, and
because I bought it on sale I wanted the sale price. They refused to
exchange it, even though it was unopened.

I also went to replace a hand tool (c clip ) type pliers that the points
had bent on . 12-14 years old... they wanted a receipt, wouldn't replace
them without it.

So much for the 100% guarantee on hand tools, or satisfaction guarantee.

Again, I don't see the issue. Their very customer-friendly return policy
is very clearly stated in or on everything they sell and on big posters
in every store.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/16/2012 10:21 AM, -MIKE- wrote:
On 5/16/12 10:07 AM, Bill wrote:

Also... in the specific case of the OP.... everybody posting to this
thread who has used Forrest blades knows that anyone who buys one
*isn't* going to return it. So it's kind of a "wink-wink, nudge-nudge"
dare of sorts.

Forrest like any one else is not perfect and has no control over what
happens to their blades during shipping, it is possible to get one that
is no longer up to Forrest standards if the shipper to the end users
home or to the store has problems.
It is possible to get one that is not up to snuff.

I have always been a bit concerned with receiving one back from
sharpening although have never had a problem.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/16/2012 12:34 PM, tiredofspam wrote:

On 5/16/2012 1:18 PM, -MIKE- wrote:
On 5/16/12 11:32 AM, tiredofspam wrote:
actually HF is starting to not accept things without a receipt or if 90
days old.

"starting to?" No, that's been their *written* policy since the start.

It may have been their policy, but they have replaced items that failed
in the past without a receipt. They also exchanged items over 90 days
unopened in the past with a receipt. They now won't exchange, I didn't
ask for a refund, just an exchange.

As far as tools that are old, I guess they expect you to keep the
receipts forever. So lifetime means you keep your receipt for the lifetime.

Exactly, you can't blame them for want to make sure they were paid in
the first place. Not unusual for stuff like that to walk right out the
door.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/16/12 12:34 PM, tiredofspam wrote:

On 5/16/2012 1:18 PM, -MIKE- wrote:
On 5/16/12 11:32 AM, tiredofspam wrote:
actually HF is starting to not accept things without a receipt or if 90
days old.

"starting to?" No, that's been their *written* policy since the start.

It may have been their policy, but they have replaced items that failed
in the past without a receipt. They also exchanged items over 90 days
unopened in the past with a receipt. They now won't exchange, I didn't
ask for a refund, just an exchange.

So because some store clerk/manager went above and beyond and broke
store policy to help you out, you now expect them to do it every time?
Wow. Entitled much? :-p

As far as tools that are old, I guess they expect you to keep the
receipts forever. So lifetime means you keep your receipt for the lifetime.

I don't know why it's so difficult to have a file folder with tool
receipts.
If you reeeeely feel 12 years isn't enough mileage from an 8 dollar
wrench, then spend another 40 cents on a file folder.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/16/2012 1:38 PM, -MIKE- wrote:

If you reeeeely feel 12 years isn't enough mileage from an 8 dollar
wrench, then spend another 40 cents on a file folder.

+1

--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/16/12 10:07 AM, Bill wrote:

Also... in the specific case of the OP.... everybody posting to this
thread who has used Forrest blades knows that anyone who buys one
*isn't* going to return it. So it's kind of a "wink-wink, nudge-nudge"
dare of sorts.

Forrest like any one else is not perfect and has no control over what
happens to their blades during shipping, it is possible to get one that
is no longer up to Forrest standards if the shipper to the end users
home or to the store has problems.
It is possible to get one that is not up to snuff.

Obviously, there are anomalies. But I am willing to bet there aren't
enough zeros to put after a 1 to write out the ratio of blades returned
to HF as opposed to Forrest. :-)

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

I have made a thin ply blade shipper.
It has 3 piece of luan, a back, a holder with a 10.25 hole to hold the
blade glued to the back
and a cover screwed to the previous..

I have hash marks to realign the cover and I have always gotten it back.
It has multiple return address labels and a warning that a saw blade exists.

I use those really thin foam sheets .. the closed cell type on both
sides of the blade for added protection.

Because when getting it sharpened the same can happen in shipping.

I enclose it in a self made cardboard box.. probably not necessary..

On 5/16/12 10:07 AM, Bill wrote:

Also... in the specific case of the OP.... everybody posting to this
thread who has used Forrest blades knows that anyone who buys one
*isn't* going to return it. So it's kind of a "wink-wink, nudge-nudge"
dare of sorts.

Forrest like any one else is not perfect and has no control over what
happens to their blades during shipping, it is possible to get one that
is no longer up to Forrest standards if the shipper to the end users
home or to the store has problems.
It is possible to get one that is not up to snuff.

I have always been a bit concerned with receiving one back from
sharpening although have never had a problem.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/16/2012 1:18 PM, -MIKE- wrote:
[...]

that stings.... At the time I bought these there was no HF store around.
I had ordered it online. So they always took their merchandise back...
And a lifetime warranty means lifetime.. I don't feel bad that I expect
them to honor it.

Posted to rec.woodworking

tiredofspam wrote:
actually HF is starting to not accept things without a receipt or if
90 days old.

I bought something that was defective (a 24 compartement box) it was
90 days old, but everytime I went back they didn't have them in
stock, and because I bought it on sale I wanted the sale price. They
refused to exchange it, even though it was unopened.

I also went to replace a hand tool (c clip ) type pliers that the
points had bent on . 12-14 years old... they wanted a receipt,
wouldn't replace them without it.

So much for the 100% guarantee on hand tools, or satisfaction
guarantee.

Actually - the 100% guarantee is for Pittsburg brand tools. They do honor
that - receipt or not. Just take in the tool. I think people have
misunderstood their return/warranty policy.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

Swingman wrote in
:

On 5/16/2012 7:13 AM, Leon wrote:

Actually, he could do the same himself buy a Forrest at Woodcraft and
take it back if he does not like the blade.

The chances of that are slim to none ... rarely does a Forrest owner go
back. That said, I'm also very happy with my Freud Glue-Line Rip and
Dial-a-Width dado stack.

I agree with Karl. I have all three of the blades that he does and love
them all. Freud is a very good buy, but I still use me WWII for 90% of
the cutting I do.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/16/2012 1:18 PM, -MIKE- wrote:
[...]

It still has a lifetime warranty. You need receipts to return stuff. How
is this lost on you? The only store I know that need no proof of
purchase for lifetime returns is Sears for their Craftsman tools.... and
they slowly going out of business.

It's frustrating, I know. But honestly, you're angst misguided in this
case.
Dave Ramsey calls this sort of thing "stupid tax." We've *all* paid it
at some point. I've paid more than my fair share of it. :-) Laugh about
it and move on and be glad it was HF and not somewhere expensive.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/16/12 2:38 PM, Mike Marlow wrote:
tiredofspam wrote:
actually HF is starting to not accept things without a receipt or if
90 days old.

I bought something that was defective (a 24 compartement box) it was
90 days old, but everytime I went back they didn't have them in
stock, and because I bought it on sale I wanted the sale price. They
refused to exchange it, even though it was unopened.

I also went to replace a hand tool (c clip ) type pliers that the
points had bent on . 12-14 years old... they wanted a receipt,
wouldn't replace them without it.

So much for the 100% guarantee on hand tools, or satisfaction
guarantee.

Actually - the 100% guarantee is for Pittsburg brand tools. They do honor
that - receipt or not. Just take in the tool. I think people have
misunderstood their return/warranty policy.

http://www.harborfreight.com/warranty-info

"Items are guaranteed to be as described and illustrated. If for any
reason you are not satisfied with any item purchased, you may return the
insured product within 90 days for a full refund or replacement..."

"Limited Lifetime Warranty on Hand Tools
snip (nothing about Pittsburgh brand)
....Proof-of-purchase date and an explanation of the complaint must
accompany the merchandise."

"Warranty/Return Checklist for All Refunds
- Proof of purchase (e.g. receipt, invoice) is required for all returns."

No misunderstanding :-)

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

Well this is a Pittsburgh tool and without the receipt they are not.
I am not really upset about it.
I am about the 24 compartment box. Unopened you can see the latch is
broken. So I just wanted an exchange... its over 90 days and they
refused. At the time it was like 100 days... so that kind of ****ed me off.

But hey I totally agree, but years ago there were no questions asked.
I had a 100' air hose just come apart. 3 or 4 years ago. It was 6 mos
old. The outer casing just blew bubbles all over... it was really a
defective hose. They replaced it no questions..

So their policy while it hasn't changed... in the past they were easy.
You didn't need an extended warranty. Now it's different.

I don't blame them, just wish they would use their heads on the box
being somewhere like 100 days and with a receipt.

On 5/16/2012 3:38 PM, Mike Marlow wrote:
tiredofspam wrote:
actually HF is starting to not accept things without a receipt or if
90 days old.

I bought something that was defective (a 24 compartement box) it was
90 days old, but everytime I went back they didn't have them in
stock, and because I bought it on sale I wanted the sale price. They
refused to exchange it, even though it was unopened.

I also went to replace a hand tool (c clip ) type pliers that the
points had bent on . 12-14 years old... they wanted a receipt,
wouldn't replace them without it.

So much for the 100% guarantee on hand tools, or satisfaction
guarantee.

Actually - the 100% guarantee is for Pittsburg brand tools. They do honor
that - receipt or not. Just take in the tool. I think people have
misunderstood their return/warranty policy.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/16/2012 10:08 AM, -MIKE- wrote:
On 5/16/12 9:15 AM, Swingman wrote:
I'm also very happy with my Freud Glue-Line Rip

me, too

I have the Freud Glue-Line Rip blade as well. Very nice, and way less money
than a Forrest.

--
Free bad advice available here.
To reply, eat the taco.
Posted to rec.woodworking

In article , Steve Turner
wrote:

On 5/16/2012 10:08 AM, -MIKE- wrote:
On 5/16/12 9:15 AM, Swingman wrote:
I'm also very happy with my Freud Glue-Line Rip

me, too

I have the Freud Glue-Line Rip blade as well. Very nice, and way less money
than a Forrest.

I concur. Been cutting 8/4 alder, and it's a great blade.

--
Woodworking and more at http://www.woodenwabbits.com

Blade Test Dr. Deb[_3_] Woodworking 28 May 19th 12 03:13 PM
Sod redux Steve B[_10_] Home Repair 0 July 25th 11 08:20 PM
Forrest Saw Blade for Festool TS 55 circular plungs saw test Rumpty Woodworking 0 February 3rd 06 08:10 PM
Bandsaw blade for 6061 Al alloy? What's a good blade size to buy? Eddie Metalworking 2 July 18th 05 08:27 AM