Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Fire - An important lesson

I was cutting a couple of grooves in a piece of pressure treated with a
router. I was using a 1/4" bit set to about 1/2" and probably trying to
take too big of cut. The bit felt like it was a little dull too, but
that's not important.

What is important is the result. I smelled burning (like cutting tools do)
and just thought it was the normal dull tool/too big of bite type of
burning. However, the wood started to smoke! It kept on smoking after the
cut finished!

That's right, I had started a fire with my router!

After filling a bucket with water, I shoveled the dust from the groove into
the bucket. Some of the dust was red and obviously burning.

Everything's extinguished now, but this is one more reminder to be careful
out there.

Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Puckdropper" wrote:

[...]

--------------------
That dull bit was a primary source of the heat required to have
ignition.

Dull bits will bite you in the rear every time they can.

Glad to see there was no serious damage.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Puckdropper" puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com wrote in message
eb.com...
[...]

If you run out of matches, you now have a backup plan to light the
fireplace!

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 13 May 2012 01:27:15 -0400, "Lee Michaels"
leemichaels*nadaspam* at comcast dot net wrote:

"Puckdropper" puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com wrote in message
web.com...
[...]

Most PT is too blamed WET to burn.
Posted to rec.woodworking

I've experienced smelly burning but not to the point of smoking! I
changed to using an up-cut spiral bit if I need to route a dado or
groove and that, along the the dust collection on the router keeps the
cut fairly clean and burn free.

John S.

On 05/12/2012 05:18 PM, Puckdropper wrote:
I was cutting a couple of grooves in a piece of pressure treated with a
router. I was using a 1/4" bit set to about 1/2" and probably trying to
take too big of cut. The bit felt like it was a little dull too, but
that's not important.

What is important is the result. I smelled burning (like cutting tools do)
and just thought it was the normal dull tool/too big of bite type of
burning. However, the wood started to smoke! It kept on smoking after the
cut finished!

That's right, I had started a fire with my router!

After filling a bucket with water, I shoveled the dust from the groove into
the bucket. Some of the dust was red and obviously burning.

Everything's extinguished now, but this is one more reminder to be careful
out there.

Puckdropper

Posted to rec.woodworking

Scott Lurndal wrote:

Farmers used to say that about freshly baled hay, too. A few barn
fires later....

A totally different scenario. Farmers knew that green hay created heat as
it dried. They were just stupid in putting it in that green. It isn't
about freshly bailed hay - that can be perfectly safe... it's about freshly
cut hay.

--

-Mike-