Junior Member

Default mitre joints on cornices

I bought an additonal kitchen unit to add to the original installation last year.
I have had to cut two external mitre joints on cornices that sit top and bottom of a kitchen unit. I mistakenly used a mitre box from one of the diy sheds and have been left with less than gaps.

Now I not only have to work out what to fill it with,when sanded i also need to work out the best way of painting the join to match with the rest of the unit.

Is there any magic filler/paint that the pro's use. The external corner is very visable so the filler etc needs to deliver an almost perfect finish.

The guy who fitted the original units had a pack of coloured filler sticks and used these to finish off joins etc,however I am not sure if these would be right for this problem.As the units are painted i am also not sure what paint would produce the best end result.

Hopefully you experts can guide me.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/20/2012 7:49 AM, GeoffB wrote:
[...]

paintable caulk, then paint it with the same color.

Posted to rec.woodworking

--
GeoffB

Yes you can use standard paintable caulk from the big box and smooth it in with your finger. I prefer to use dry wall patching compound becuase it is sandable and I can touch it up a bit before painting.

Paint just needs to match. I assume typical interior paint of same sheen.

You can see on the second picture of this page you can make the joint disappear. I do horrible miters on this type stuff but a little dry wall patch, sanding and paint and they look perfect.

http://www.sonomaproducts.com/index....=3&Ite mid=13

Looking for a jig: 45deg mitre joints on a router Gerry[_3_] Woodworking 1 October 30th 07 04:49 AM
Preparing mitre joints in oak bilbo*baggins UK diy 3 April 6th 07 09:30 AM
biscuit mitre joints / set up of CMS scott Woodworking 0 January 16th 07 03:56 AM
Cornices in Kitchen alexbartman UK diy 0 December 30th 05 11:22 AM
Fitted wardrobe mitre joints jg UK diy 10 June 27th 05 12:02 AM