DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   sizing home jointers and planers? (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/338437-sizing-home-jointers-planers.html)

Han April 14th 12 07:52 PM

sizing home jointers and planers?

Swingman wrote in
:

On 4/14/2012 1:32 AM, Dave wrote:
On Fri, 13 Apr 2012 21:17:07 -0700, Larry Jaques
I firmly believe it's the "selling of fear" advertising
Gass has done. Care to prove me wrong?

I firmly believe it's the safety aspect of the SawStop that has
vaulted the SawStop to it's sales position.

I agree ..

The safety aspect, coupled with the differences in the way the younger
generation, who is currently buying woodworking equipment, was raised.

Those of us who are just a decade older were not raised in that
protective, cultural cocoon that even those currently in their 40's
and 50's experienced since the sixties; and consequently, they are the
ones who appear to be more concerned with, and aware of, _personal_
safety.

The attitude of the generation that raised me was basically that, and
with regard to getting through life physically unscathed, some of us
are lucky and some are not. This was arguably the direct result of
those doing the raising being themselves raised in a severe economic
depression, followed shortly thereafter by participation in a world
war to the death.

To me it is particularly noticeable on G+, where most of the
woodworking participants are younger than those here, that _personal
safety_ takes on an aura of almost religious proportions from the get
go, something that almost had to be forced on many of us older farts.

YMMV ...

I'm an old fart alright. I agree that safety has become a near cult with
some. But I'm not sure that is all that bad. As a kid and young adult
going into chemistry, I'd clean paint brushes, bicycle chains etc with
carbon tetrachloride and benzene, now universally considered heavy duty
carcinogens. I used to smoke next to (but not too close) ether and other
bad stuff. Most fun was to push some sodium metal down the drain ...

Now, the plastic surgeon has earned too much off of me and I'm more
careful ... (I think).

--
Best regards
Han

John Grossbohlin[_2_] April 14th 12 08:01 PM

sizing home jointers and planers?

"Dave" wrote in message
On Sat, 14 Apr 2012 12:46:10 -0400, Jack wrote:
Why don't you get a contractors saw, and build a bench to whatever
height you want? I think even SS sells a contractors saw, don't they?

That is what I use know. I cut about three inches off each leg. I
added an Excalibur saw guide to it and bought a decent miter guide to
it. But in the end, it just isn't a cabinet saw.

I'm after a most elusive concept ~ a cabinet saw that will pass the
nickel test.

You aroused my curiosity.... I just went and looked at the cabinet
construction on my 3 HP Jet XActa saw. It appears to me that it would not be
very difficult to remove the "curb" part of the base with a thin cut-off
wheel and then slide the base up on the sides and weld it in a new
position--Jet has, or did have, white paint available. The dust collection
outlet and interior dust pan appear to be high enough to remove 3 or more
inches from the bottom of the cabinet without modifying those components.
I'd imagine that a skilled auto body repairman could do it as well as others
with sheet metal fabrication skills.

Their Deluxe XActa saw would present additional problems due to the lower
drawer and other do-dads they added. However, loosing the lower drawer would
be an option!

Modifying either would not change the mechanicals....

This may be worth exploring so you can get yourself a cabinet saw...??

John

Bill[_37_] April 14th 12 09:13 PM

sizing home jointers and planers?

Mike Marlow wrote:
Bill wrote:
Mike Marlow wrote:
Larry Jaques wrote:

That's because they've got all the braindead safety nazis onboard.
Is Gass gonna put out a new book titled _SELL WITH FEAR_, maybe?
/teensy bit of angst

Oh come on Larry. I understand your angst with Gass' approach, but
to deny that the saw is selling because it is a very well built saw,
and that it does offer a degree of safety not available elsewhere,
is nothing short of foolish.

My local Rockler advertised a SawStop demonstration on a Saturday
afternoon 3 weeks ago. The focus seemed to be on "The Hotdog
Demonstration" along with adequate description of the current cost of
medical procedures. I would very definitely say they were trying to
sell with fear of one sort or another.

If that's how you chose to see it. I guess they should not try to market
the very design purpose of the saw, huh Bill?

What do you mean, "If that's how I chose to see it"? I was just
commenting that they were trying to sell saws using fear. There was even
what I call a "friendly stranger" mozeying around showing people scars
where some finger tips had been stitched. I don't know whether he
arrived in the same truck as the SawStop presenters or not. I have found
"friendly strangers" in other venues too (notably a high-end music
instrument store which sends them out after they watch you on video for
a few minutes, I think). Being "provided with information" is one thing,
being "sold-to" feels is another. One can do the former without using
fear. SawStop obviously knows how to induce sales better than I do.

Lee Michaels[_3_] April 14th 12 10:15 PM

sizing home jointers and planers?

"Leon" wrote

First off, you are the first person that I have heard mention that the new
Unisaw is equally well built. I know of no one that has been impress with
the new Unisaw. Over all the SawStop is a better thought out and saw.

Particularly at that price point. For the money you have to pay, there is a
lot of competition from companies that have not changed ownership five times
and still service their customers. At half the price, maybe. Delta is
trying to sell on the basis of an old reputation. As people become more
aware and folks talk to each other on the web, etc, it gets harder to do
that.

Again, Gass was smart in offering a quality product. Remember back in the
day when most American products were quality? You never have to apologize
for quality.

As for safety, I have always been a safety freak. I never apologized for it
and still have all fingers, etc. I have no problem with the safety features
of the SS. It is a little pricey for me at this time. Plus I don't have
the room. But is is still a good saw.

Leon[_7_] April 14th 12 10:36 PM

On 4/14/2012 4:15 PM, Lee Michaels wrote:

"Leon" wrote

First off, you are the first person that I have heard mention that the
new Unisaw is equally well built. I know of no one that has been
impress with the new Unisaw. Over all the SawStop is a better thought
out and saw.

Particularly at that price point. For the money you have to pay, there
is a lot of competition from companies that have not changed ownership
five times and still service their customers. At half the price, maybe.
Delta is trying to sell on the basis of an old reputation. As people
become more aware and folks talk to each other on the web, etc, it gets
harder to do that.

Again, Gass was smart in offering a quality product. Remember back in
the day when most American products were quality? You never have to
apologize for quality.

Well you used to never have to apologize for quality but these days I am
not so sure. If quality makes money for those that turn it out there
are those that oppose it because they are making money turning out
quality and or because they can't afford it. The world is not fair and
never has been.

Leon[_7_] April 14th 12 10:40 PM

sizing home jointers and planers?

On 4/14/2012 1:42 PM, tiredofspam wrote:
Who cares about the nickel test. Just some stupid things the magazines
care about.

If your saw cannot pass the nickel test it can vibrate the blade. If
the blade vibrates it's cut will not be as smooth as it would be with
less vibration.

That said, you may be perfectly fine with the results of your cuts
passing the nickel test or not.

Where the nickel test really does not matter is during start up and shut
down, basically when you are not cutting wood.

Leon[_7_] April 14th 12 10:49 PM

On 4/14/2012 3:13 PM, Bill wrote:
Mike Marlow wrote:
Bill wrote:
Mike Marlow wrote:
Larry Jaques wrote:

[...]

Same marketing strategy as insurance companies, auto companies 5 star
crash ratings ads, environmental protection advocates, and the list goes
on. The SawStop demo's I have seen involved the hot dog trick but also
included the other features of the saw so in my case I did not see
selling fear as the only or key selling point.

Mike Marlow[_2_] April 14th 12 10:52 PM

Bill wrote:

What do you mean, "If that's how I chose to see it"? I was just
commenting that they were trying to sell saws using fear. There was
even what I call a "friendly stranger" mozeying around showing people
scars where some finger tips had been stitched. I don't know whether
he arrived in the same truck as the SawStop presenters or not. I have
found "friendly strangers" in other venues too (notably a high-end
music instrument store which sends them out after they watch you on
video for a few minutes, I think). Being "provided with information"
is one thing, being "sold-to" feels is another. One can do the
former without using fear. SawStop obviously knows how to induce
sales better than I do.

Whatever. For some, table saw injuries are a reality. It seems that for
you, they are fear tactics. Oh well...
--

-Mike-

Leon[_7_] April 14th 12 11:11 PM

sizing home jointers and planers?

On 4/14/2012 1:38 PM, tiredofspam wrote:
Ok, as an older guy, let me just say, that if I had to buy a TS again,
and right now I don't, but if I did, it would be a Saw Stop. Yes because
of safety. I find myself realizing that I am getting slower in certain
areas. Memory for one. I need my fingers to type for a living when I am
making it. If I get stupid I want to be safe.

Totally agree, we are humans, we are not perfect, we make mistakes.
Work with a TS long enough each day and long enough in years and it is
probably prudent to say that there is a better than 50% chance you are
going to need medical attention because of an accident while using the TS.

The first time you get a trigger and ruin a blade and have to replace a
cartridge there is probably better than a 90% chance you just saved
thousands of dollars and a lot of pain. Been there, Done that.

If you are afraid of the possible expense of a false trigger because you
used wet wood or did something else that causes a false trigger you
absolutely are not being careful enough or paying close enough attention
in the first place. You can take that lesson as a warning that you are
not being careful enough.

On the other hand, hands down our other American saws are not built as
nice as the Saw Stop. Gass pulled out the stops. We Americans are behind
the Europeans when it comes to innovation in Saws. Too bad.

IIRC there were a bunch of complaints about a particular safety feature
on the European saws being sold in Europe and or the UK. The arbors
were intentionally made too short to mount stacked dado sets. I will
bed you that there were the same complaints about that safety feature by
those that can look out for themselves....;~)

But Saw Stop does take a leap, with an American design that is better
than the rest. The European Riving knife... The quality of the casting
and trunnion. The hand wheels just show off the final details.

Why would I buy Delta when they have repeatedly let me down?

And if I were in the market, I would look at all the brands. I would
indeed look at Powermatic, Delta, Jet, Grizzly, Laguna, etc and I would
judge each on how the saw would serve me and not so much on how some one
that started each company started his or her business. The fact that
Laguna was formed and named by a European surfer dude that loves Laguna
beech and is based in California will not affect my judgement. ;~) Boy
that one was silly... and so is the reason to not consider a SawStop
because of Gass.

And for the quality of the saw, the price of the safety trigger almost
seems negligible.

If the saw saves a trip to the ER it is likely that it has actually paid
for your whole shop.

Leon[_7_] April 14th 12 11:13 PM

On 4/14/2012 1:52 PM, Han wrote:

YMMV ...

I'm an old fart alright. I agree that safety has become a near cult with
some.

No kidding, Look at all those "global warming" people. ;~) Sorry Han I
could not let that one slip by. You owe me one. ;~)

Lee Michaels[_3_] April 14th 12 11:22 PM

sizing home jointers and planers?

"Leon" wrote
The fact that
Laguna was formed and named by a European surfer dude that loves Laguna
beech and is based in California will not affect my judgement. ;~)

Surfer dude, eh?? I KNEW there was a reason you bought a Laguna! ')

Leon[_7_] April 14th 12 11:40 PM

sizing home jointers and planers?

On 4/14/2012 5:22 PM, Lee Michaels wrote:

"Leon" wrote
The fact that Laguna was formed and named by a European surfer dude
that loves Laguna beech and is based in California will not affect my
judgement. ;~)

Surfer dude, eh?? I KNEW there was a reason you bought a Laguna! ')

Actually I am far from a Surfer Dude. ;~)

Dave[_52_] April 15th 12 12:13 AM

sizing home jointers and planers?

On Sat, 14 Apr 2012 13:06:53 -0500, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
First off, you are the first person that I have heard mention that the
new Unisaw is equally well built. I know of no one that has been
impress with the new Unisaw. Over all the SawStop is a better thought
out and saw.

Hatred and emotions can warp even the most logical viewpoint.

Dave[_52_] April 15th 12 12:26 AM

sizing home jointers and planers?

On Sat, 14 Apr 2012 15:01:13 -0400, "John Grossbohlin"
Modifying either would not change the mechanicals....
This may be worth exploring so you can get yourself a cabinet saw...??

I appreciate you considering this, but that's not my main current
problem. I live in an apartment and don't have a suitable location to
set up a table saw. The contractor's saw I had and still use on
occasion, I sold very cheaply to a friend and I can get to go over and
use it on occasion in summer time since it lives in his garage. Most
of my woodworking is done as dustless as possible in my living room.

In the Toronto area, I've been looking for an accessible location (or
one that I can make accessible) to rent or share with someone for well
over fifteen years. ~ Nada.

There are a few co-ops, but not locations I'd want to leave personal
tools at or where I could use my own tools and table saw. So, I keep
looking.

Dave[_52_] April 15th 12 12:35 AM

sizing home jointers and planers?

On Sat, 14 Apr 2012 16:40:34 -0500, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
Who cares about the nickel test. Just some stupid things the magazines
care about.

If your saw cannot pass the nickel test it can vibrate the blade. If
the blade vibrates it's cut will not be as smooth as it would be with
less vibration.

I've been around woodworking long enough to know that the nickel test
isn't the be all and end all of a tablesaw. My mentioning it was just
part of a if I could have everything wish list.

The contractor's saw I purchased some forty years ago, vibrates all
over the place until it gets up to speed, then it's ok. That's
something I would look to be gone with the power up of any cabinet
saw. Naturally, the weight of a cabinet saw goes a long way to
eliminating that vibration.

Dave[_52_] April 15th 12 12:44 AM

sizing home jointers and planers?

On Sat, 14 Apr 2012 16:49:27 -0500, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
The SawStop demo's I have seen involved the hot dog trick but also
included the other features of the saw so in my case I did not see
selling fear as the only or key selling point.

The fear of table saws, or the perception of that fear is what keeps
many people from buying a table saw. That's one reason why the SawStop
will sell and sell well, despite any of this mandate debate.

The friend who I sold my contractors saw to, hates using it. He's
afraid of it. He is fine with something like a circular saw, but the
table saw scares him. I'm pretty sure he bought it from me because he
liked the idea of owning a table saw, but as to using it? That's
something else.

The SawStop will bring out a whole new generation of woodworkers,
people who would normally be sitting by the sidelines, wishing things
were different. I'd bet on it.

Dave[_52_] April 15th 12 12:50 AM

sizing home jointers and planers?

On Sat, 14 Apr 2012 17:11:06 -0500, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
If the saw saves a trip to the ER it is likely that it has actually paid
for your whole shop.

Considering the angst and stress associated with such a visit, there's
also a very good chance that avoiding that visit increases your
health and lengthens your life a little too.

Dave[_52_] April 15th 12 12:53 AM

sizing home jointers and planers?

On Sat, 14 Apr 2012 17:40:43 -0500, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
Actually I am far from a Surfer Dude. ;~)

What? You mean you don't make regular trips down to gulf coast for a
little surfing action?

Mike Marlow[_2_] April 15th 12 01:02 AM

Dave wrote:
On Sat, 14 Apr 2012 16:49:27 -0500, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
The SawStop demo's I have seen involved the hot dog trick but also
included the other features of the saw so in my case I did not see
selling fear as the only or key selling point.

The fear of table saws, or the perception of that fear is what keeps
many people from buying a table saw. That's one reason why the SawStop
will sell and sell well, despite any of this mandate debate.

Perhaps so, though my experiences with other people has been different.
I've never encountered anyone who was afraid of a table saw - or at least,
it never came out in any conversations. To the contrary, I have met a good
number of people who I feared for, when using a table saw. Mostly those who
just don't pay attention to anything, and you just know that at some point,
something bad is going to happen. Maybe not real bad - or maybe real bad...
but something that they wish had not happened.

The SawStop will bring out a whole new generation of woodworkers,
people who would normally be sitting by the sidelines, wishing things
were different. I'd bet on it.

Time will tell. I don't think there are a lot of people sitting on the
sidelines because they fear a table saw - but that's just my experiences
talking.

--

-Mike-

Bill[_37_] April 15th 12 01:13 AM

Dave wrote:
[...]

Someone who is curious about ww, but afraid of TSs, could use hand
tools. The idea that the SS/technology will create "a whole new
generation of woodworkers" seems absurd unless you want 10 year olds
using table saws.

Find a new source of cheaper material to build with and you might create
a new level of interest.

Dave[_52_] April 15th 12 01:45 AM

On Sat, 14 Apr 2012 20:13:23 -0400, Bill wrote:
Find a new source of cheaper material to build with and you might create
a new level of interest.

I can't agree with that. There's always been cheaper material (and
tools) around to build with. That's been part of the problem. People
have been getting too used to junk.

That in part is why brands like Festool have been taking off. First
you have to get past the sticker shock of the brand. Once that happens
and you start to experience some of the benefits, then you start to
realize that quality built products can offer up a better experience.
And, a much better experience in some cases.

Bill[_37_] April 15th 12 02:29 AM

sizing home jointers and planers?

I'm sort of scared to make an off-topic post to this thread, but here goes:

When I first started coming to the Wreck, a little before I "got
interested" in shop renovation, Lew helped me formulate the idea of
making a 6-7 foot workbench top by glueing together, face-to-face, a
bunch of 2-by dimensional lumber (SYP, 2by10s, ripped in half).

Being naive, I almost believed my glue-ups would be almost as nice as my
pictures. Now, being more familiar with jointers, I fear
"near-disaster", if I don't joint at one edge (which will end up on the
top) and the faces too. I have been encouraged to run glue-ups of 4
boards, say, through my planer, and I can see how that could help, but I
can see how things could work out a whole lot better if all of the
boards went through a jointer first, before and after glueing--not that
I have one.

What do you think? Plan for a jointer? I have collected hand planes,
but haven't learned to use them yet. Especially, I'm skeptical about my
ability to plane the edge of a 7' board *flat*.

Bill

Larry Jaques[_4_] April 15th 12 03:01 AM

sizing home jointers and planers?

On Sat, 14 Apr 2012 13:06:53 -0500, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
wrote:

On 4/13/2012 11:17 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:
On Fri, 13 Apr 2012 23:10:52 -0400, "Mike Marlow"
wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote:

That's because they've got all the braindead safety nazis onboard.
Is Gass gonna put out a new book titled _SELL WITH FEAR_, maybe?
/teensy bit of angst

Oh come on Larry. I understand your angst with Gass' approach, but to deny
that the saw is selling because it is a very well built saw, and that it
does offer a degree of safety not available elsewhere, is nothing short of
foolish. That saw began selling well before he tried his tactics with the
Consumer Product Safety Commission. That alone is proof that the saw is
selling on its own merits. Your personal feelings toward Gass are clouding
your judgement.

If the equally well built Unisaw is not selling well, at the same
price, with its longstanding good reputation, what makes the
difference? I firmly believe it's the "selling of fear" advertising
Gass has done. Care to prove me wrong?

First off, you are the first person that I have heard mention that the
new Unisaw is equally well built. I know of no one that has been
impress with the new Unisaw. Over all the SawStop is a better thought
out and saw.

I thought that since everyone and their brother here had always
drooled over Unisaurs that they were just peachy. They're equally
overpriced, so they should be well built. If they're not, so be it. I
really don't care. Enjoy your SS in good health, Leon.

--
A mind, like a home, is furnished by its owner, so if
one's life is cold and bare he can blame none but himself.

Mike Marlow[_2_] April 15th 12 03:05 AM

Bill wrote:
I'm sort of scared to make an off-topic post to this thread, but here
goes:

Well - then don't! You raise a perfectly legitimate question below - why
not just start a new thread and not have anything to worry about?

When I first started coming to the Wreck, a little before I "got
interested" in shop renovation, Lew helped me formulate the idea of
making a 6-7 foot workbench top by glueing together, face-to-face, a
bunch of 2-by dimensional lumber (SYP, 2by10s, ripped in half).

Being naive, I almost believed my glue-ups would be almost as nice as
my pictures. Now, being more familiar with jointers,

How so?

I fear
"near-disaster", if I don't joint at one edge (which will end up on
the top) and the faces too.

Don't Bill. For sure, each tool can add to the precision of your work, but
you have to remember that lots of people do all of this work - and have done
so for eons, without all of those cool tools. There are other ways to
achieve your goal. Maybe a hand plane, maybe a sanding device, maybe a
great deal of attention to how you glue up, etc. You research too much and
like I have told you before - you suffer analysis paralysis. Get out there
and do it. Sure - you'll make some mistakes, but you would with all of the
coolest of tools in your shop too. We only learn from those mistakes.

I have been encouraged to run glue-ups
of 4 boards, say, through my planer,

Oops - I think that I must have missed that you purchased a planer. What
did you buy? Still - use it Bill!

and I can see how that could
help, but I can see how things could work out a whole lot better if
all of the boards went through a jointer first, before and after
glueing--not
that I have one.

And... all things could be perfect if you had perfect wood. Bill -
woodworking is about adjusting to things and making a rather imprecise
medium come out the way you want it. Don't think so much about this stuff!
Get into your shop and get working on it.

What do you think? Plan for a jointer? I have collected hand
planes, but haven't learned to use them yet. Especially, I'm
skeptical about my ability to plane the edge of a 7' board *flat*.

Personally, I don't think there is any reason for you to plan on purchasing
a jointer. You already have tools that could do the job and you've not
moved forward with them. Why wait to buy another tool that will only result
in more questions that keep you from just going out into your shop and
learning.

Bill - I am not harping on you, though it may sound like that. I'm really
trying to encourage you. You cannot get the answers you are looking for in
a usenet forum. You are looking for knowledge and confidence and they will
only come from doing it. Some success, some failure. Learn from both.
Nobody here can make you a woodworker.

--

-Mike-

Bill[_37_] April 15th 12 03:43 AM

Mike Marlow wrote:
Bill wrote:
I'm sort of scared to make an off-topic post to this thread, but here
goes:

Well - then don't! You raise a perfectly legitimate question below - why
not just start a new thread and not have anything to worry about?

When I first started coming to the Wreck, a little before I "got
interested" in shop renovation, Lew helped me formulate the idea of
making a 6-7 foot workbench top by glueing together, face-to-face, a
bunch of 2-by dimensional lumber (SYP, 2by10s, ripped in half).

Being naive, I almost believed my glue-ups would be almost as nice as
my pictures. Now, being more familiar with jointers,

How so?

I have a much better idea of what jointers have to offer now, and I've
seen I lot of imperfect lumber since I started. I'm concerned glueing
together 16 pieces of imperfect lumber is likely to create
unconscionable problems! : ) Glueing together 16 pieces of
freshly-jointed lumber seems more likely to produce an near-level
surface and well-glued joints that won't come apart. Dig?

Mike Marlow[_2_] April 15th 12 03:54 AM

Bill wrote:
Mike Marlow wrote:
Bill wrote:
[...]

Have you ever run a piece of lumber across a jointer? Dig?

--

-Mike-

Bill[_37_] April 15th 12 04:27 AM

Mike Marlow wrote:
Bill wrote:
Mike Marlow wrote:
Bill wrote:
[...]

I think the teach did my board for me. But that was about 30 years ago
and I don't know where he is now. Other things being the same, I'd
prefer nice surfaces on the furniture I'm going to make. My wife and I
are getting-by with two folding chairs until I produce! I suggested
mounting my new vise on the back of hers, but she objected. ; )

Bill[_37_] April 15th 12 04:34 AM

Mike Marlow wrote:

Have you ever run a piece of lumber across a jointer?

I've never used a hammer drill, but I can tell you I will the next time
I drill in mortar/masonry!

Leon[_7_] April 15th 12 05:21 AM

On 4/14/2012 6:53 PM, Dave wrote:
On Sat, 14 Apr 2012 17:40:43 -0500, Leonlcb11211@swbelldotnet
Actually I am far from a Surfer Dude. ;~)

What? You mean you don't make regular trips down to gulf coast for a
little surfing action?

LOL... No I am about 200 miles away from CC, and Galveston is too
crowded with most of Houston going for the beach.

Leon[_7_] April 15th 12 05:23 AM

On 4/14/2012 6:50 PM, Dave wrote:
On Sat, 14 Apr 2012 17:11:06 -0500, Leonlcb11211@swbelldotnet
If the saw saves a trip to the ER it is likely that it has actually paid
for your whole shop.

Considering the angst and stress associated with such a visit, there's
also a very good chance that avoiding that visit increases your
health and lengthens your life a little too.

Dannnnng. I might give some people super powers too.. LOL

Yeah the trip to the ER is a stressful time.

Mike Marlow[_2_] April 15th 12 06:00 AM

Bill wrote:
Mike Marlow wrote:
Bill wrote:
Mike Marlow wrote:
Bill wrote:
[...]

Maybe I should back off Bill. My intent is really not to put you on the
spot. My intent is genuinely to encourage you to do it. I do that because
I honestly believe you will learn and gain confidence, and develop skills,
and be thrilled at the results - even if they are not quite to your initial
expectiations - at first. But, doing it will refine those skills and your
products will increasingly get closer to those noble ambitions you hold. I
think that once you just do ti (I guess I use that phrase too much...),
you'll hit the point where you start to enjoy those noble ambitions - and
then we start to really feel good!

Sorry if I have been coming on too hard.

--

-Mike-

Mike Marlow[_2_] April 15th 12 06:01 AM

Bill wrote:
Mike Marlow wrote:

Have you ever run a piece of lumber across a jointer?

I've never used a hammer drill, but I can tell you I will the next
time I drill in mortar/masonry!

So will I! And... I have used them before.

--

-Mike-

Ed Pawlowski April 15th 12 06:13 AM

On Sat, 14 Apr 2012 23:34:16 -0400, Bill wrote:

Mike Marlow wrote:

Have you ever run a piece of lumber across a jointer?

I've never used a hammer drill, but I can tell you I will the next time
I drill in mortar/masonry!

I used a hammer drill one day. After pounding in a couple of dozen
nails, it was pretty useless for drilling. Maybe I was holding it
wrong.

Bill[_37_] April 15th 12 06:35 AM

Mike Marlow wrote:

Maybe I should back off Bill. My intent is really not to put you on the
spot. My intent is genuinely to encourage you to do it. I do that because
I honestly believe you will learn and gain confidence, and develop skills,
and be thrilled at the results - even if they are not quite to your initial
expectiations - at first. But, doing it will refine those skills and your
products will increasingly get closer to those noble ambitions you hold.

Who's building any products?
I'll be making "Custom-made, one-of-a-kind, works of art....".
At least that's what the business cards say (j/k). : )

think that once you just do ti (I guess I use that phrase too much...),
you'll hit the point where you start to enjoy those noble ambitions - and
then we start to really feel good!

Who's not enjoying noble ambitions?
I had my sights set on a 1830's Boucher-style banjo and/or fiddle!
My interest seems to have shifted from the latter back to the former.
An interest in fiddle-making, in particular the scroll, forked-off into
an "extensive investigation" of relief-carving.

If I felt much better it might not be safe for me to operate vehicles
and/or machinery.

In the meantime I've been learning to sharpen--the queen subdiscipline
of using hand tools.

Sorry if I have been coming on too hard.

Naw, I got a few laughs writing the above. I know Murphy's Law.

Dave[_52_] April 15th 12 08:50 AM

sizing home jointers and planers?

On Sun, 15 Apr 2012 01:00:19 -0400, "Mike Marlow"
Sorry if I have been coming on too hard.

Yeah, you're such a hard ass. Much more of your "try it, you'll like
it" harping on Bill and we'll have to send you over to Jack's place
for punishment.

Mike Marlow[_2_] April 15th 12 12:45 PM

Bill wrote:

Who's not enjoying noble ambitions?
I had my sights set on a 1830's Boucher-style banjo and/or fiddle!

Go for it! You know my beliefs on that stuff!

--

-Mike-

J. Clarke[_2_] April 15th 12 02:15 PM

sizing home jointers and planers?

In article , tiredofspam
says...

[...]

What Sawstop model is "American"? The ones I've looked at are all
Chinese.

tiredofspam April 15th 12 03:32 PM

sizing home jointers and planers?

Have you put a link belt on it.

I didn't need a link belt. My saw vibrated all over the place too.
Then I burnt the belt while sawing some damn hard maple.
Problem solved. The belt was so soft and supple after stinking up the
place, that it no longer vibrated. The problem was the freakin belt.

I have been using link belts on tools since. I have not replaced the
tablesaw belt, but I am sure that I would not pass the nickel test
(close but no cigar).
My forrest WWII creates glass smoot cuts on endgrain. I don't think the
little vibration is that detrimental.

Something freewheeling is different that something under load. Take my
hand grinder for instance, free wheeling lots of vibration with a wire
wheel. Under load very little. Less speed... Although the saw probably
less of an issue.

tiredofspam April 15th 12 03:38 PM

sizing home jointers and planers?

It won't. Unless you use clamping cauls to create a level surface, you
will be off by enough to look like a wash board.

Handplane across the top to initially level, then diagonally.
Use winding sticks.

Finish with a jack or jointer, and use a scraper for any difficult wood
grain... I had a maple top that had all sorts of nasty areas. I put a
very high angle on my jack and was still unable to tame the nasty maple.

Leon[_7_] April 15th 12 03:41 PM

On 4/15/2012 9:32 AM, tiredofspam wrote:
Have you put a link belt on it.

I didn't need a link belt. My saw vibrated all over the place too.
Then I burnt the belt while sawing some damn hard maple.
Problem solved. The belt was so soft and supple after stinking up the
place, that it no longer vibrated. The problem was the freakin belt.

I have been using link belts on tools since. I have not replaced the
tablesaw belt, but I am sure that I would not pass the nickel test
(close but no cigar).
My forrest WWII creates glass smoot cuts on endgrain. I don't think the
little vibration is that detrimental.

And whether you are happy or not is all that matters.