Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Wilton 79A vise on Sale at Amazon

Its been on my "Wish List" for a long time. Marked down 20% (more) today:

http://www.amazon.com/Wilton-63218-1...3598169&sr=8-3

It stings a little, but I think I got "a lot more vise" for just a bit
more than I would have to spend for a good front vise anyway. When I
compare it (36#) to a good miter gauge, it seems like a great value!

One feature I like, and will use, is:
The front jaw moves up to 9/16 inch to act as a full-length dog
(especially not the "plastic dog" I have seen at the ww-stores)!

I would probably have chosen a Record vise for sentimental reasons if
one was available. I ought to be able to live with this one!

According to Amazon, they have 7 left, if anyone else here is interested.

Bill

Posted to rec.woodworking

I would have never thought the original price was $360.... for any woodworker's vise. You can check prices in your area, too, just type in your zip code. http://www.wiltontools.com/us/manufa...215&pim.page=3

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

I think this is over priced. Each of my vises was gotten at either a
garage sale or school sale.

I paid $3 for 2 of them, one I paid $5 for. And my best buy was a
Jorgensen like quick release vise 12" size for $10 (its an old Morgan) .

I don't like that wilton. I have replaced one of my metal dogs with
white oak. Safer on tools than the steel one.

Plastic is fine for a dog. The full length do is less of an asset than
you think. But that is your call.

The record is hard to find right now used. But there are new knockoffs.

On 4/5/2012 12:12 AM, Bill wrote:

Its been on my "Wish List" for a long time. Marked down 20% (more) today:

http://www.amazon.com/Wilton-63218-1...3598169&sr=8-3

It stings a little, but I think I got "a lot more vise" for just a bit
more than I would have to spend for a good front vise anyway. When I
compare it (36#) to a good miter gauge, it seems like a great value!

One feature I like, and will use, is:
The front jaw moves up to 9/16 inch to act as a full-length dog
(especially not the "plastic dog" I have seen at the ww-stores)!

I would probably have chosen a Record vise for sentimental reasons if
one was available. I ought to be able to live with this one!

According to Amazon, they have 7 left, if anyone else here is interested.

Bill

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/5/2012 1:27 PM, wrote:
I would have never thought the original price was $360.... for any woodworker's vise. You can check prices in your area, too, just type in your zip code.
http://www.wiltontools.com/us/manufa...215&pim.page=3

Sonny

No, I never saw it at Amazon for $360. There seems to be a lot of
nonsense in manufacturers' "suggested retail prices". But this vise has
been $230 or so, for at least a year--which put it out of my comfort
zone. So when the price dropped to $178 last night, including "
shipping, I ordered it. Reading the reviews at Amazon, folks who bought
the Wilton 79A seemed like a happier group than those who bought the
comparable Jorgensen vise.

Cheers,
Bill
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/4/2012 11:12 PM, Bill wrote:

Its been on my "Wish List" for a long time. Marked down 20% (more) today:

http://www.amazon.com/Wilton-63218-1...3598169&sr=8-3

It stings a little, but I think I got "a lot more vise" for just a bit
more than I would have to spend for a good front vise anyway.

You got an excellent vise for a good price, don't let anyone rain on
your parade.

--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010

Posted to rec.woodworking

Not raining, I just think if Bill want's to get started, all he need do
is look for the bargains. For that $178 he could have 3 vises, 5
different hand planes, a set of drill bits, a set of router bits.
Or you could buy 150 board feet of wood. I paid $100 for 150 board feet
of white oak a while back. To me that's where I want to spend the
money. At that price I have used it for utility grade stuff, as well as
furniture.

Owning a new vise is IMHO a money not well spent.

Especially if he wanted it for a long time. Look around. Craigs list,
garage sales, estate sales, school , or town asset sales, ebay.

Spend your money wisely. And get started building. As Nike ads say, just
do it.

On 4/5/2012 2:49 PM, Swingman wrote:
On 4/4/2012 11:12 PM, Bill wrote:

Its been on my "Wish List" for a long time. Marked down 20% (more) today:

http://www.amazon.com/Wilton-63218-1...3598169&sr=8-3

It stings a little, but I think I got "a lot more vise" for just a bit
more than I would have to spend for a good front vise anyway.

You got an excellent vise for a good price, don't let anyone rain on
your parade.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 05 Apr 2012 13:49:21 -0500, Swingman wrote:
You got an excellent vise for a good price, don't let anyone rain on
your parade.

It *is* a good price and a vise that might well last a lifetime. I'm
currently using a Record #53 vise with 10.5 inch wide jaws, but I'll
sell it the same day that I can get a Tucker vise from Lee Valley.

Apparently, the Tucker vise manufacturing needs to be retooled before
they begin production again, but I'm hoping it's done sooner than
later.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/5/2012 2:37 PM, tiredofspam wrote:

Owning a new vise is IMHO a money not well spent.

Yeah ... but.

Considering the time spent looking for something that does not pop up
everyday and that goes on an item that needs to be one of the first
things you need in a shop, a work bench, in twenty years it will have
cost him less than $1/month.

Besides, you need to treat yourself every once in a while, and he
deserves it ... and it probably cost less than a new dress for the main
expense in the family.

--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 05 Apr 2012 15:37:08 -0400, tiredofspam nospam.nospam.com
Not raining, I just think if Bill want's to get started, all he need do
is look for the bargains.

Then I probably don't what to hear what you have to say about my
waiting/willingness to buy a Tucker vise for $700-$800.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/5/2012 2:47 PM, Dave wrote:
On Thu, 05 Apr 2012 13:49:21 -0500, wrote:
You got an excellent vise for a good price, don't let anyone rain on
your parade.

It *is* a good price and a vise that might well last a lifetime. I'm
currently using a Record #53 vise with 10.5 inch wide jaws, but I'll
sell it the same day that I can get a Tucker vise from Lee Valley.

Apparently, the Tucker vise manufacturing needs to be retooled before
they begin production again, but I'm hoping it's done sooner than
later.

I've got an old, Made in Sheffield, 7" Record 52, which is all the
woodworking vise I've ever needed.

--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 05 Apr 2012 14:51:18 -0500, Swingman wrote:
I've got an old, Made in Sheffield, 7" Record 52, which is all the
woodworking vise I've ever needed.

My father had an Emmert vise which is the heavy duty version of what
the Tucker vise was modeled after. After he passed, it came to me, but
the casting for the screw fell apart from what I guessed to be metal
fatigue. I searched for more than ten years for someone to rebuild it
for me, but eventually gave up. I disposed of all the parts after
that. Damn near broke my heart. It was that vise that I associated
with my father more than any other tool in his workshop.
Posted to rec.woodworking
Roy Roy is offline

On 4/4/2012 11:12 PM, Bill wrote:

Its been on my "Wish List" for a long time. Marked down 20% (more) today:

http://www.amazon.com/Wilton-63218-1...3598169&sr=8-3

It stings a little, but I think I got "a lot more vise" for just a bit
more than I would have to spend for a good front vise anyway.

You got an excellent vise for a good price, don't let anyone rain on
your parade.

FWW's "Workbenches" special ($9.99US) hit the news stand this week. Pages 30-31
list the results of their bench tests for seven front vises. The Wilton 79A
came in the middle of the pack in the overall performance evaluation. It tied
for first in jaw size and jaw opening but got a downcheck because the "quick
release doesn't re-engage immediately".

FWW listed street price as $215. They did not list weights, but it sure looks
like it would be the heaviest when you look at the composite photograph. At
your price plus free shipping and probably no sales tax, you got a good deal.
Drop it off at my house if you decide you don't like it.

Same issue also includes separate evaluation of 6 single and twin screw vise
"kits", which do not include jaws. LN and LV had the twin screw entries.

Regards,
Roy
Posted to rec.woodworking

The Amazon link has the list price (lined out) at $360, so that what I was referring to.

Also, I didn't think you had bought yet, so I offered an option to compare pricing. I think you have a good vise and you'll be happy with it.

BTW, there's a Northtech saw in New Albany - http://irsauctions.com/index_lots.as...tails&id=15880

Looks to have a 12" blade on it. It's a big saw.

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Swingman" wrote in message

On 4/5/2012 2:37 PM, tiredofspam wrote:

Owning a new vise is IMHO a money not well spent.

Yeah ... but.

Considering the time spent looking for something that does not pop up
everyday and that goes on an item that needs to be one of the first
things you need in a shop, a work bench, in twenty years it will have
cost him less than $1/month.

Besides, you need to treat yourself every once in a while, and he
deserves it ... and it probably cost less than a new dress for the main
expense in the family.
I agree completely.
I see advice like this all the time. A beginner wants to get into
woodworking and someone always comes up and says to look around for used
equipment. The problems with that are that he then has to wait for who knows
how long to get into the hobby, he has to know where to look, he has to be
able to evaluate if what he is looking at is any good, he has to know if it
is a good price ect. And, he has to do this with no experience to go on. All
this with a limited amount of time as, if it really is a good deal, someone
else will buy it as he is thinking about it. It is just as likely that he
will end up with something that comes up short forcing him to go buy another
one or learn how to repair it negating any savings he may have made in the
first place. If he were to buy new, he could come here or many other places
to get opinions on the equipment and the price. In addition, if there is
something wrong with it, he has the manufactures warranty to back it up.
Used equipment can be a good deal but often only for the experienced.

Posted to rec.woodworking

I agree with both of you. But he had been looking for a long while. He
had probably been looking only for new. I see these all the time.
Especially at estate sales. Most old timers (not even woodworking guys)
were self sufficient. They came out of the depression era. So all that
time he wasted looking at the new, and probably not looking at used.

On 4/5/2012 5:59 PM, CW wrote:

"Swingman" wrote in message

[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

tiredofspam wrote:
I agree with both of you. But he had been looking for a long while. He
had probably been looking only for new. I see these all the time.
Especially at estate sales. Most old timers (not even woodworking guys)
were self sufficient. They came out of the depression era. So all that
time he wasted looking at the new, and probably not looking at used.

Naw, I looked at everything dumped by the Indianapolis School System
last summer.
Could I have salvaged a well-used 7" vise, with uncertain
performance--yes. Did they sell for $2, $3 or $10--no..lol.
If, for any reason, the Wilton fails to be satisfactory, I can simply
return it. Of course, it has a lifetime guarantee. I have looked at
enough vices to see that this one was better than what I was going to
end up with if I passed it up! The accumulated time spent looking for
and comparing stuff starts adding up after a while too. One can put in
a lot of time pursuing auctions and looking at craigslist everyday...
If you assess your time at $5/hr. it doesn't take that long to invest
$100 trying to track down something someone else is discarding. And
after that, most likely, based on my experience, you'll still be
empty-handed.

Bill

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/5/2012 2:47 PM, Dave wrote:
On Thu, 05 Apr 2012 13:49:21 -0500, wrote:
You got an excellent vise for a good price, don't let anyone rain on
your parade.

It *is* a good price and a vise that might well last a lifetime. I'm
currently using a Record #53 vise with 10.5 inch wide jaws, but I'll
sell it the same day that I can get a Tucker vise from Lee Valley.

Apparently, the Tucker vise manufacturing needs to be retooled before
they begin production again, but I'm hoping it's done sooner than
later.

I've got an old, Made in Sheffield, 7" Record 52, which is all the
woodworking vise I've ever needed.

Ditto the $24 10-incher from HF I bought a decade ago. They're $40
now. http://www.harborfreight.com/10-inch...ise-42494.html
Hecho en Chine.

--
Life is an escalator:
You can move forward or backward;
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/5/2012 2:47 PM, Dave wrote:
On Thu, 05 Apr 2012 13:49:21 -0500, wrote:
You got an excellent vise for a good price, don't let anyone rain
on your parade.

It *is* a good price and a vise that might well last a lifetime. I'm
currently using a Record #53 vise with 10.5 inch wide jaws, but I'll
sell it the same day that I can get a Tucker vise from Lee Valley.

Apparently, the Tucker vise manufacturing needs to be retooled
before they begin production again, but I'm hoping it's done sooner
than later.

I've got an old, Made in Sheffield, 7" Record 52, which is all the
woodworking vise I've ever needed.

Ditto the $24 10-incher from HF I bought a decade ago. They're $40
now. http://www.harborfreight.com/10-inch...ise-42494.html
Hecho en Chine.

I'm with ya on the HF vise - that's what I would have purchased too - but
that's because a vise is not one of my dream machines. It's a utilitarian
thing for me. Even if it only lasts 1/2 a lifetime, I could afford to buy
two for a lot less than Bill paid.

That said - I understand Bill's decision. There have been things I've paid
the long buck for, just because I really wanted that thing. I own two
guitars (one electric and one acoustic) that both list for over $3K each.
Of course, you don't pay list, and I got them for less, but still a lot... a
whole lot more than what a pretty good guitar would have cost. I did that
because I really wanted those two guitars. One is custom built - hand built
by a luthier to my specs. The other is just an expensive guitar (Taylor).
I'm no virtuoso - I'm a mediocre guitar player at best in my own opinion.
But - I wanted a high end electric and a high end acoustic. So - I spent
way more money than I probably should have - but they are what I wanted. I
see Bill's decision as being very much the same.

Sometimes - if you can afford to do it, ya just gotta do what you want to
do. Life is, after all - short.

I'll tell ya - every time I strap on one of those guitars - every single
time... I do not regret for one moment, making those purchases. I hope Bill
can derive that same enjoyment out of his vise purchase. I suspect he will.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article
tiredofspam nospam.nospam.com writes:
I agree with both of you. But he had been looking for a long while. He
had probably been looking only for new. I see these all the time.

You see used Wilton 79A all the time?

Especially at estate sales.

That isn't without a cost, you know. If your hobby is already going
to estate sales, then sure you can snap up the bargains. If not,
telling someone to start tracking down estate sales, drive around
to them, wait for the item (the estate sales I've been to are
auctions), etc., ends up being an investment of (at least) dozens
of hours to maybe save tens of dollars.

For someone with a full-time job, that may not be much of a bargain.

Sure, when I was out of work I scoured CraigsList because I had
little else to do with my time. Now? The weekend is too short
unless there is something really special. (For example, if I wanted
a vintage Unisaw, I might invest that time.)

--
Drew Lawson Some men's dreams
for others turn to nightmares.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Not 79a,s but Wiltons. Like I said you can really outfit a shop.

I spend Saturday morning doing the garage sale routine if I see tools
listed in the paper. If not. I don't go out. I read into the message and
figure is this automotive or woodworking.

I have picked up a ton of really good stuff. I have probably picked up
about $5000 worth of tools for under $200.

I picked up the 6x48 sander for $2. See binaries (SANDER). I had to
restore it. But I look at this deal and think, man this was a great buy.

On 4/6/2012 9:00 AM, Drew Lawson wrote:
In
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/6/2012 9:42 AM, tiredofspam wrote:
Not 79a,s but Wiltons. Like I said you can really outfit a shop.

I spend Saturday morning doing the garage sale routine if I see tools
listed in the paper. If not. I don't go out. I read into the message and
figure is this automotive or woodworking.

I have picked up a ton of really good stuff. I have probably picked up
about $5000 worth of tools for under $200.

Yep, as a general rule of business, you make your money when you _buy_ .

--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/5/2012 1:57 PM, Bill wrote:
On 4/5/2012 1:27 PM, wrote:
I would have never thought the original price was $360.... for any
woodworker's vise. You can check prices in your area, too, just type
in your zip code.
http://www.wiltontools.com/us/manufa...215&pim.page=3

Sonny

No, I never saw it at Amazon for $360. There seems to be a lot of
nonsense in manufacturers' "suggested retail prices". But this vise has
been $230 or so, for at least a year--which put it out of my comfort
zone. So when the price dropped to $178 last night, including "
shipping, I ordered it. Reading the reviews at Amazon, folks who bought
the Wilton 79A seemed like a happier group than those who bought the
comparable Jorgensen vise.

Grainger shows it for $276, so 178 sounds good. I never bought a new
vice my self, I've got 2 nice woodworkers vices, and 3 metal working
vices. Most of them I got either free, or for a few bucks at
auctions/garage sales.

--
Jack
http://jbstein.com
Posted to rec.woodworking

Obviously I am not talking about someone doing this for a living. But a
hobbyist certainly isn't buying to make a living on.

And money saved is money that he can use to learn, or equip, or supply.

On 4/6/2012 11:27 AM, Swingman wrote:
On 4/6/2012 9:42 AM, tiredofspam wrote:
Not 79a,s but Wiltons. Like I said you can really outfit a shop.

I spend Saturday morning doing the garage sale routine if I see tools
listed in the paper. If not. I don't go out. I read into the message and
figure is this automotive or woodworking.

I have picked up a ton of really good stuff. I have probably picked up
about $5000 worth of tools for under $200.

Yep, as a general rule of business, you make your money when you _buy_ .

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/6/2012 11:07 AM, tiredofspam wrote:
Obviously I am not talking about someone doing this for a living. But a
hobbyist certainly isn't buying to make a living on.

But more and more common these days, maybe for his widow to live on ...

seems like everywhere I turn these days someone's "shop of dreams" is
being sold by the widow, before the poor departed soul got to take full
advantage.

Kinda depressing ... and makes you seriously consider just doing with
what you got.

--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010

Posted to rec.woodworking

Jack wrote:
On 4/5/2012 1:57 PM, Bill wrote:
On 4/5/2012 1:27 PM, wrote:
I would have never thought the original price was $360.... for any
woodworker's vise. You can check prices in your area, too, just type
in your zip code.
http://www.wiltontools.com/us/manufa...215&pim.page=3

Sonny

No, I never saw it at Amazon for $360. There seems to be a lot of
nonsense in manufacturers' "suggested retail prices". But this vise has
been $230 or so, for at least a year--which put it out of my comfort
zone. So when the price dropped to $178 last night, including "
shipping, I ordered it. Reading the reviews at Amazon, folks who bought
the Wilton 79A seemed like a happier group than those who bought the
comparable Jorgensen vise.

Grainger shows it for $276, so 178 sounds good. I never bought a new
vice my self,

If I wasn't buiding the workbench I'm going to put it on I would likely
feel differently. Putting on one of the ones I saw at auction would be
like using "used hinges". The bench may as well look pretty for a day!
: )

I've got 2 nice woodworkers vices, and 3 metal working
vices. Most of them I got either free, or for a few bucks at
auctions/garage sales.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Bill a workbench is for working.
I built a workbench last year. I put 2 old vises on it.
I'm a lefty so they are opposite what you would use.

An old Wilton, and an old Morgan. The Jorg like came after the bench
build. I made the bench so I can replace the vise.

See pics in binaries. I think mine looks good with that old hardware.
Gives it some character.

On 4/6/2012 3:11 PM, Bill wrote:
Jack wrote:
On 4/5/2012 1:57 PM, Bill wrote:
On 4/5/2012 1:27 PM, wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/6/2012 3:11 PM, Bill wrote:
Jack wrote:

Grainger shows it for $276, so 178 sounds good. I never bought a new
vice my self,

If I wasn't buiding the workbench I'm going to put it on I would likely
feel differently. Putting on one of the ones I saw at auction would be
like using "used hinges". The bench may as well look pretty for a day! : )

My used vices probably looked better after I cleaned them up and painted
them than they did new, or close. Besides, a good vice is not something
to just look at. On the other hand, you need a vice, you got money, go
for it.

I've got 2 nice woodworkers vices, and 3 metal working
vices. Most of them I got either free, or for a few bucks at
auctions/garage sales.

--
Jack
http://jbstein.com
Posted to rec.woodworking

Jack wrote:

My used vices probably looked better after I cleaned them up and painted
them than they did new, or close. Besides, a good vice is not something
to just look at. On the other hand, you need a vice, you got money, go
for it.

The UPS delivery told me twice that it looked like I got a good vise. I
thanked him and told him I thought he had good taste.

BTW, the vise has become my 50th birthday present. I regard myself
fortunate that I can afford it...I never have had and probably never
will have a new car.

My original post was just to share the "price markdown" and my purchase
with my friends here. I had already done my homework, read the reviews,
visited the auctions, visited the retail stores, and completed my
purchase before I posted.

I still have my eyes open for that used Unisaw!

Cheers,
Bill

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/4/2012 11:12 PM, Bill wrote:

Its been on my "Wish List" for a long time. Marked down 20% (more) today:

http://www.amazon.com/Wilton-63218-1...3598169&sr=8-3

It stings a little, but I think I got "a lot more vise" for just a bit

more than I would have to spend for a good front vise anyway.

You got an excellent vise for a good price, don't let anyone rain on

your parade.

I rarely respond to comments but the "tool gloating", "wood gloating", "bargain gloating" is too much! How can you say "just do it" but "look around to find the bargains" in the same response? I looked for a looooooong time (over a year while planning and building my shop) and found a bargain for one vise, so I applaud someone who spent good money after catching a terrific sale. Considering your time, location, vehicle costs, and the fact that there are bargain hunters everywhere, "YOU DONE GOOD"! PET PEEVE - A common thread in the woodworking blogs and forums is the guys who "collect" old hand tools. It's their right, sure, but those of us trying to find "users" have to face increased competition (prices) just trying to start out. It begs the question "Are you really interested in creating from wood?" Many such collector's seem to lament that they have not built anything in over a year because they are too busy buying and collecting old tools! He who dies with the most toys syndrome???
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/4/2012 11:12 PM, Bill wrote:

[...]

Well, you waited two years to respond to that. It's probably no
longer on sale, anyway.

--
 GW Ross

 It is the journey that matters, in
 the end.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Not to comment on the two year old thread, but on the comments...

I must live in a land of retail sophisticates. I never see fine grade tools, or even restoration grade tools at the prices so many here find. To take claims made at face value, it would be lovely if I did; I would like to buy quality tools at an average of 4% of their value.

The folks that sell around here don't seem to be that generous. If you want to haggle, the folks around here back up their pricing by quoting Ebay, Craigslist, the newspaper, and the pawn shops. They don't back down.

A few years ago there was a rash of garage sales in my neighborhood, and a few of the folks there had them on a regular basis. They told me that all they had to do was to put "tools" in their ads, and the people would flock to the sale since their husbands were interested. The big sellers in home equipment here now are the estate liquidators, and you can be damn sure they sell at near retail. And rather than put good tools out at ridiculous prices, all the estate liquidators here have a bulk buyer lined up that will buy everything of value at the end if it doesn't sell at the asking price.

Pawn shops around here sell at full retail, let you negotiate down about 30% on most items if you finance with them at 18%. The good stuff always goes to Ebay, and they are proud to tell you that you can bid on the item online, or pay their asking price.

I know there are probably good deals to be had with peristance, time, effort, and a ton of gasoline. But for me, I am glad to wait for something to go on sale, something to come up as a recon on CPO, something I can apply my credit card points to, etc. I only buy what I need and am not going to drive around for a year or two (or more) looking for a real bargain. When I need it, I need it.

And even if I didn't need it but just wanted it, I would still put a time limit on these things. If I said "Wow... I just found a XXX for half of what they cost brand new, and that saved me $150! Been looking for that for a year!". How good did I do? 10 to 15 trips a year, a half day gone each trip you could be using your fully warranted tool for fun, no telling how much gas, and the lack of enjoyment of getting out in the shop with coffee in hand first thing in the morning to get a good start...

I am tighter than a top on a banjo, but still, there has to be a limit. Unless you can consistently buy as mentioned above at 4% of retail (hell, who wouldn't want to buy a $2500 SawStop for $100 ?!?!) I would rather buy the tool and get going on my project. My fun time in the shop has been nonexistent for about 4 years now, hoping to change that this Fall. No way I will be driving around hoping to find a bargain tool.

Robert

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
[...]

Robert,

As the one who started the original thread 2 years ago, I just want to
say I agree with you. When one considers the time that can go into a
tool search, sometimes overpaying a bit is the cheapest solution! Most
of the time I've spent searching for and attending auctions has been
"non-productive"--and it adds up. Even the time I've spent visiting
Grizzly's site to look at their G0490 jointer is starting to add up! ; )

Bill

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thursday, July 31, 2014 2:28:53 PM UTC-5, Bill wrote:

As the one who started the original thread 2 years ago, I just want to

say I agree with you. When one considers the time that can go into a

tool search, sometimes overpaying a bit is the cheapest solution! Most

of the time I've spent searching for and attending auctions has been

"non-productive"--and it adds up. Even the time I've spent visiting

Grizzly's site to look at their G0490 jointer is starting to add up! ; )

Bill

I can imagine! Looking for the tools you really want like that one is a serious subject since a shop tool like that is a one time purchase for most of us.

Back on the topic of trying to find bargains on tools, I have come to appreciate more and more my time since I have so little of it free these days. It's going to the same places everyone else's is at my point in life; taking care of parents, trying to do a little better taking care of one's self, taking care of two houses, then the relatives of a significant other, and trying to find time to spend with the folks you love and like (that time too.... almost nonexistant right now). Just the grind of post middle age in working class America, I guess.

It won't always be this way as things continue to change, and some issues will resolve as time passes. But one thing that I have always known but have now had it hammered into my head, is to use your time wisely. There just isn't that much of it.

Robert