Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Dust collector

I've been using a shop vac for the table saw and planner. I'm ready to
upgrade to a dust collector. The shop vac does a good job vacuuming the saw
dust on the floor. Will a dust collector with a 2 1/2" hose running off of
4" hose work as well or should I keep the shop vac for this purpose?

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Neal" wrote in message
I've been using a shop vac for the table saw and planner. I'm ready to
upgrade to a dust collector. The shop vac does a good job vacuuming the
saw dust on the floor. Will a dust collector with a 2 1/2" hose running
off of 4" hose work as well or should I keep the shop vac for this
purpose?

I mostly use the dust collector's 4" hose for cleaning up as shop vac bags
are expensive and don't hold very much compared to the two stage dust
collector.... The vacuum is saved for "dusting" with a brush attachment and
for cleaning up dirt dirt from the floor... Thus, to answer your question,
they both have a place in the shop.

John

Posted to rec.woodworking

I assume "this purpose" means vacuuming the floor. Keep the shop-vac -
they're portable and always come in handy. I like mine for attaching
the small hose to sanders and biscuit cutter, or even using in the garage.

On 04/03/2012 09:59 AM, Neal wrote:
I've been using a shop vac for the table saw and planner. I'm ready to
upgrade to a dust collector. The shop vac does a good job vacuuming the
saw dust on the floor. Will a dust collector with a 2 1/2" hose running
off of 4" hose work as well or should I keep the shop vac for this purpose?

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/3/2012 9:59 AM, Neal wrote:
I've been using a shop vac for the table saw and planner. I'm ready to
upgrade to a dust collector. The shop vac does a good job vacuuming the
saw dust on the floor. Will a dust collector with a 2 1/2" hose running
off of 4" hose work as well or should I keep the shop vac for this purpose?

SWEAP the floor with a broom instead of a vac. Then suck up the dust
pile with the 4" DC hose.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Neal" wrote in message
I've been using a shop vac for the table saw and planner. I'm ready to
upgrade to a dust collector. The shop vac does a good job vacuuming
the saw dust on the floor. Will a dust collector with a 2 1/2" hose
running off of 4" hose work as well or should I keep the shop vac for
this purpose?

I mostly use the dust collector's 4" hose for cleaning up as shop vac
bags are expensive and don't hold very much compared to the two stage
dust collector....

Just curious what you mean here. Could one (or should one) use "drywall
dust" bags in your ShopVac, or something like that?

Sorry for the newbe question,
Bill

The vacuum is saved for "dusting" with a brush
attachment and for cleaning up dirt dirt from the floor... Thus, to
answer your question, they both have a place in the shop.

John

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Bill" wrote in message

"Neal" wrote in message
I've been using a shop vac for the table saw and planner. I'm ready to
upgrade to a dust collector. The shop vac does a good job vacuuming
the saw dust on the floor. Will a dust collector with a 2 1/2" hose
running off of 4" hose work as well or should I keep the shop vac for
this purpose?

I mostly use the dust collector's 4" hose for cleaning up as shop vac
bags are expensive and don't hold very much compared to the two stage
dust collector....

Just curious what you mean here. Could one (or should one) use "drywall
dust" bags in your ShopVac, or something like that?

I use bags and a cartridge filter in my shop vac to keep dust out of the
air... Though it could be used without a bag and with just the foam filter
too much dust would make it through the vacuum and into the air. That isn't
a problem if you are vacuuming your car out-doors. However, inside the house
or shop I don't want to breath in that dust and I don't want to distribute
dust throughout the building.

See these links for examples.

http://www.amazon.com/Shop-Vac-90662...3472341&sr=8-3

http://www.amazon.com/Shop-Vac-90304..._ob_hi_title_1

Posted to rec.woodworking
Rex Rex is offline

Neal wrote:
I've been using a shop vac for the table saw and planner. I'm ready to
upgrade to a dust collector. The shop vac does a good job vacuuming the saw
dust on the floor. Will a dust collector with a 2 1/2" hose running off of
4" hose work as well or should I keep the shop vac for this purpose?

I only use my dust collector in the shop. My shop vac is so noisy
that it sits and collects dust. I use a wand and floor attachment on
a 2 1/2" hose for floor cleaning. A brush attachment for dusting, and
a narrow attachment for cleaning in tight places.
It works fine for me.

--
Rex

Computer - A device designed to speed
and automate errors.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Rex" wrote in message
Neal wrote:
I've been using a shop vac for the table saw and planner. I'm ready to
upgrade to a dust collector. The shop vac does a good job vacuuming the
saw
dust on the floor. Will a dust collector with a 2 1/2" hose running off
of
4" hose work as well or should I keep the shop vac for this purpose?

I only use my dust collector in the shop. My shop vac is so noisy that it
sits and collects dust. I use a wand and floor attachment on a 2 1/2"
hose for floor cleaning. A brush attachment for dusting, and a narrow
attachment for cleaning in tight places.
It works fine for me.

--
Rex

Computer - A device designed to speed
and automate errors.

So, the dust collector has enough suction to use for floor cleaning? I know
the collector moves more air but I have read that collectors don't have as
much suction as shop vacs. Have I been mislead?

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Neal" wrote in message

So, the dust collector has enough suction to use for floor cleaning? I
know the collector moves more air but I have read that collectors don't
have as much suction as shop vacs. Have I been mislead?

For saw dust and chips it should be fine... assuming you are talking about a
1+ HP unit. Those small wall-mounted units I see advertised now may be a
different story.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Neal" wrote

So, the dust collector has enough suction to use for floor cleaning? I
know the collector moves more air but I have read that collectors don't
have as much suction as shop vacs. Have I been mislead?

I don't know about that.
I have an Oneida Super Dust Gorilla and it would suck the nails out of the
drywall if all the doors and windows were closed.

Max

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/3/2012 9:26 PM, Max wrote:

"Neal" wrote

So, the dust collector has enough suction to use for floor cleaning? I know
the collector moves more air but I have read that collectors don't have as
much suction as shop vacs. Have I been mislead?

I don't know about that.
I have an Oneida Super Dust Gorilla and it would suck the nails out of the
drywall if all the doors and windows were closed.

Yeah, but can it suck the chrome off a trailer hitch?

To reply, eat the taco.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bbqboyee/
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/3/2012 9:42 PM, Steve Turner wrote:
On 4/3/2012 9:26 PM, Max wrote:

I have an Oneida Super Dust Gorilla and it would suck the nails out of
the
drywall if all the doors and windows were closed.

Yeah, but can it suck the chrome off a trailer hitch?

How about just ALL chrome bull balls hanging off of trailer hitches?

PSA ...

--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
Posted to rec.woodworking
Roy Roy is offline

On Tue, 03 Apr 2012 12:39:00 -0400, Bill wrote:

"Neal" wrote in message
I've been using a shop vac for the table saw and planner. I'm ready to
upgrade to a dust collector. The shop vac does a good job vacuuming
the saw dust on the floor. Will a dust collector with a 2 1/2" hose
running off of 4" hose work as well or should I keep the shop vac for
this purpose?

I mostly use the dust collector's 4" hose for cleaning up as shop vac
bags are expensive and don't hold very much compared to the two stage
dust collector....

Just curious what you mean here. Could one (or should one) use "drywall
dust" bags in your ShopVac, or something like that?

Bill, I have a small, older Shopvac with the 1.5 inch hose. Probably 15+ years
old. It originally came with the Gortex fabric filter, which actually did a
good job keeping the dust from escaping. I eventually bought a Sears HEPA
filter. Seems my Shopvac uses the same size HEPA filter that the Sears machines
use. The HEPA handles drywall dust and doesn't blind as quickly as the Gortex
cloth did. To clean I take the shopvac outside, open the lid and dump the
contents into the trash. I use compressed air to clean the filter.

Mine is loud as hell, but I actually take it in the house on vacuum day to do
all the tile and wood floors. Works much better than the Hoover. I wear a pair
of shooting muffs whenever I use it. Must be over 95db.

I vacuum the floor in the shop most of the time. Stirs up less fine dust than
using a broom. I also bought a long flexible hose for the Shopvac and plug that
into my sander or router which makes a big difference. I have a 1.5 hp dust
collector and an overhead fine dust collector. The shop vac fills several needs
better than the DC does.

HTH. Roy