Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Newbie, so be nice .........

Leon wrote:

IIRC Swingman is squeezed into about a 1.75 car garage. I recently
went from a 2 car to 3 car garage, approximately 600 sq ft. My shop
is not relatively easy to work in. Take in mind the size of your
shop is dependent on the amount of equipment you have and most
importantly how much and how big your projects are. I can just now
comfortably build a large piece of furniture and or large sections of
furniture and still have room to move around. I hope I never have to
go smaller.

How in the hell do you guys paint cars in such small garages? Geeze - I
thought everything was supposed to be big in Texas...

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

-MIKE- wrote:

I'm in that ship. You definitely have to tie down the pegs to the
board so they don't fall off every time you take a tool off the wall.
And it seems like every time you go to lift a peg off the board,
there's something in the way above it, keeping it from lifting up
enough to come off.

You guys are using cheap pegs. 1/3 of my garage is peg board and it hangs
everything you can imagine. I never have pegs pull out when I remove a
tool, and I love that I can reconfigure at will. Sometimes a peg will tilt
when I pull a certain type of tool off, but that's because I catch the peg
with the tool. That same tool would hang up on a screw or a nail if I
pulled it off the same way. That said - the peg does not pull out. You
have to get good pegs - just like everything else. For me - I use nothing
but FESTOOL pegs...

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

Larry Jaques wrote:

Ditto. The pegs always come out when you remove a tool, spiders get
behind them, they look ugly, they break easily, etc.

The pegs only come out if you use the cheap pegs. Get the good stuff - it
works. Spiders... target practice.

And they're soooooo '40s!

Yeah... ain't it cool?

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 19 Mar 2012 17:44:17 -0600, Swingman wrote:

On 3/19/2012 5:35 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:

And they're soooooo '40s!

Hell, so am I.

g Having pegboard in a decent shop is like selling HF tools right
next to Festools in a store. It just isn't _done_!

--
When you are kind to someone in trouble, you hope they'll remember
and be kind to someone else. And it'll become like a wildfire.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/19/2012 9:59 PM, Mike Marlow wrote:
Leon wrote:

IIRC Swingman is squeezed into about a 1.75 car garage. I recently
went from a 2 car to 3 car garage, approximately 600 sq ft. My shop
is not relatively easy to work in. Take in mind the size of your
shop is dependent on the amount of equipment you have and most
importantly how much and how big your projects are. I can just now
comfortably build a large piece of furniture and or large sections of
furniture and still have room to move around. I hope I never have to
go smaller.

How in the hell do you guys paint cars in such small garages? Geeze - I
thought everything was supposed to be big in Texas...

A paint brush does not need much room to function.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/19/2012 4:20 PM, Swingman wrote:
On 3/19/2012 3:06 PM, Leon wrote:

I am going to these, put them anywhere and put most anything on them.

http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/pag...15&cat=1,43326

Yeah, buddy! You like mine, eh?

I have four of them. Just don't put a table saw blade on one ... it'll
take two hands, and a crowbar, to get it off.

I like yours and mine. I got one for Christmas and I probably need a
couple more.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Larry Jaques wrote:
On Mon, 19 Mar 2012 17:44:17 -0600, Swingman wrote:

On 3/19/2012 5:35 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:

And they're soooooo '40s!

Hell, so am I.

g Having pegboard in a decent shop is like selling HF tools right
next to Festools in a store. It just isn't _done_!

Stop it Larry! That just ain't right.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:

IIRC Swingman is squeezed into about a 1.75 car garage. I recently
went from a 2 car to 3 car garage, approximately 600 sq ft. My shop
is not relatively easy to work in. Take in mind the size of your
shop is dependent on the amount of equipment you have and most
importantly how much and how big your projects are. I can just now
comfortably build a large piece of furniture and or large sections
of furniture and still have room to move around. I hope I never
have to go smaller.

How in the hell do you guys paint cars in such small garages? Geeze
- I thought everything was supposed to be big in Texas...

A paint brush does not need much room to function.

No... but doesn't the wife need room to "move around" while she's painting
with that brush?

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:

IIRC Swingman is squeezed into about a 1.75 car garage. I recently
went from a 2 car to 3 car garage, approximately 600 sq ft. My shop
is not relatively easy to work in. Take in mind the size of your
shop is dependent on the amount of equipment you have and most
importantly how much and how big your projects are. I can just now
comfortably build a large piece of furniture and or large sections of
furniture and still have room to move around. I hope I never have to
go smaller.

How in the hell do you guys paint cars in such small garages? Geeze - I
thought everything was supposed to be big in Texas...

Four inch brush for the body, two inch brush for the derails.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:

IIRC Swingman is squeezed into about a 1.75 car garage. I recently
went from a 2 car to 3 car garage, approximately 600 sq ft. My shop
is not relatively easy to work in. Take in mind the size of your
shop is dependent on the amount of equipment you have and most
importantly how much and how big your projects are. I can just now
comfortably build a large piece of furniture and or large sections
of furniture and still have room to move around. I hope I never
have to go smaller.

How in the hell do you guys paint cars in such small garages? Geeze
- I thought everything was supposed to be big in Texas...

A paint brush does not need much room to function.

No... but doesn't the wife need room to "move around" while she's painting
with that brush?

Where you from, Mike???

Women don't paint with brushes.
They pain with spray cans...

Posted to rec.woodworking

Richard wrote:

Where you from, Mike???

Women don't paint with brushes.
They pain with spray cans...

Central NY - where we keep our wimin bound to paint rollers, not spray cans.
You progressives...

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/19/2012 9:50 PM, Mike Marlow wrote:
Bill Gill wrote:

Ok, just my preference. I don't like pegboard. I actually prefer
to just use nails. They can be driven in and removed as needed.
They might not look all that fancy, but I will take functionality
and convenience any day.

You are absolutyl right - just preference. And that's all I am expressing
as well. For me - I certainly prefer pegboard. For all the reasons you
just listed. I can move things around as needed, with ease. I really do
agree - it's a preference thing, but I do like peg board. So much more area
to hang stuff on than just relying on where studs are.

Well, I don't just rely on studs. I put a piece of 1X4 up on the wall
and can hang them any where along the length. If I need more space
I put up a piece of plywood.

Bill

Posted to rec.woodworking

Bill Gill wrote:

Ok, just my preference. I don't like pegboard. I actually prefer
to just use nails. They can be driven in and removed as needed.
They might not look all that fancy, but I will take functionality
and convenience any day.

You are absolutyl right - just preference. And that's all I am
expressing
as well. For me - I certainly prefer pegboard. For all the reasons you
just listed. I can move things around as needed, with ease. I really do
agree - it's a preference thing, but I do like peg board. So much more
area
to hang stuff on than just relying on where studs are.

Well, I don't just rely on studs. I put a piece of 1X4 up on the wall
and can hang them any where along the length. If I need more space
I put up a piece of plywood.

Yep, I do similar things. In the garage, NOT in the house, I just take some
pine boards and screw it to the studs with deck screws. That gives me lots
of area and something strong enough to put in big screw hooks and support
some weight.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Lee Michaels wrote:
"Bill Gill" wrote in message

Well, I don't just rely on studs. I put a piece of 1X4 up on the
wall and can hang them any where along the length. If I need more
space I put up a piece of plywood.

Yep, I do similar things. In the garage, NOT in the house, I just
take some pine boards and screw it to the studs with deck screws. That
gives me lots of area and something strong enough to put in big
screw hooks and support some weight.

I do that for heavy stuff, or for large stuff, but I sure do love my peg
board for everything else.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

You would be surprised how nice peg board can be. See binaries. You can
make your own racks, and straighten out L hooks to hang them. I also use
ply on my walls. But the peg board serves me great. The black clips hold
everything firm, so no dropped clips.

On 3/18/2012 11:40 PM, Steve B wrote:
I am making a work bench backboard. I want to make some 1 x 4 (or whatever)
racks for screwdrivers, etc, for fast easy grabbing and keeping things
organized. (Something I've been wanting to do once I get my procrastination
under control ............) But, some things, like pliers and chisels and
****'s don't have a round shaft. I need to have some slots, like would be
made by three or more holes in a row. Or a routed slot.

Is there a wood bit made for side cutting specifically? Drill three holes,
then use the side cutting edges to round out? Or should I set up my router
with a fence and stops to cut the slots, then use a rounding bit with guide
shaft to make a nice rounded shouldered hole? More work, but fun stuff that
I like to do, and the results are worth it, IMHO.

I don't need it to look like Grandma's black cherry hutch, but I'd sure like
it to look nice like it wasn't made with a rusty chisel and warped sawzall.

I do welding, so can easily make some ornamental metal brackets to go with
the wood pieces.

Other ideas for tool organizers for the wall or pegboard? I got a ton of
crap I need to mount so I can find it when needed.

Thanks in advance.

Steve

Posted to rec.woodworking

Bill Gill wrote:

Ok, just my preference. I don't like pegboard. I actually prefer
to just use nails. They can be driven in and removed as needed.
They might not look all that fancy, but I will take functionality
and convenience any day.

You are absolutyl right - just preference. And that's all I am expressing
as well. For me - I certainly prefer pegboard. For all the reasons you
just listed. I can move things around as needed, with ease. I really do
agree - it's a preference thing, but I do like peg board. So much more
area
to hang stuff on than just relying on where studs are.

Well, I don't just rely on studs. I put a piece of 1X4 up on the wall
and can hang them any where along the length. If I need more space
I put up a piece of plywood.

Bill, peg board is a good way to go to hang stuff on walls. Buy good
pegs that don't pull out and you are in like Flynn. The functionality
and convenience far surpasses nails in the wall. Everyone here that
thinks pegboard sucks because the pegs pull out use the wrong pegs.

Apparently only me, Mike and every hardware store on earth use the right
style pegs... go figure. If it's too ugly for you, paint it, yellow or
pink or something you like, or buy it prefinished. Also, as referenced
in my prior post, you can make your own brackets for clamps, chisels,
screwdrivers and so on with l screws and scrap wood, and they don't pull
out either.

This picture shows both a homemade chisel holder and a store bought
screwdriver holder, neither will pull out.

http://jbstein.com/Flick/BenchBack1.jpg

This one shows some of the flexibility, holding everything from small
tools like pliers and ratchets to bar clamps, drywall square and saws.

http://jbstein.com/Flick/BenchBack2.jpg

One of the nice things about peg board is it is easy to move stuff
around, add new things and so on and it's cheap.
--
Jack
http://jbstein.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/20/2012 11:26 AM, tiredofspam wrote:
Jack, does the mortiser need the earmuffs? 8)

Well, if it does, it could probably use a dust mask too! ; )

This one shows some of the flexibility, holding everything from small
tools like pliers and ratchets to bar clamps, drywall square and saws.

http://jbstein.com/Flick/BenchBack2.jpg

One of the nice things about peg board is it is easy to move stuff
around, add new things and so on and it's cheap.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote

How in the hell do you guys paint cars in such small garages? Geeze - I
thought everything was supposed to be big in Texas...

A paint brush does not need much room to function.

A broom does well if you have time constraints .............. Get the one
with the fine bristles..............

Steve

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 19 Mar 2012 23:32:32 -0400, "Mike Marlow"
wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote:
On Mon, 19 Mar 2012 17:44:17 -0600, Swingman wrote:

On 3/19/2012 5:35 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:

And they're soooooo '40s!

Hell, so am I.

g Having pegboard in a decent shop is like selling HF tools right
next to Festools in a store. It just isn't _done_!

Stop it Larry! That just ain't right.

Read it and weep, sucka. g

--
When you are kind to someone in trouble, you hope they'll remember
and be kind to someone else. And it'll become like a wildfire.
-- Whoopi Goldberg

Posted to rec.woodworking

Bill Gill wrote:

Ok, just my preference. I don't like pegboard. I actually prefer
to just use nails. They can be driven in and removed as needed.
They might not look all that fancy, but I will take functionality
and convenience any day.

You are absolutyl right - just preference. And that's all I am expressing
as well. For me - I certainly prefer pegboard. For all the reasons you
just listed. I can move things around as needed, with ease. I really do
agree - it's a preference thing, but I do like peg board. So much more area
to hang stuff on than just relying on where studs are.

Well, I don't just rely on studs. I put a piece of 1X4 up on the wall
and can hang them any where along the length. If I need more space
I put up a piece of plywood.

Instead of drywall, one should use 3/4 OSB for wall interiors in
shops. Then anything can be hung anywhere. Put insulation behind it
and you're doubly blessed.

--
When you are kind to someone in trouble, you hope they'll remember
and be kind to someone else. And it'll become like a wildfire.
-- Whoopi Goldberg
Posted to rec.woodworking

I'm in that ship. You definitely have to tie down the pegs to the
board so they don't fall off every time you take a tool off the wall.
And it seems like every time you go to lift a peg off the board,
there's something in the way above it, keeping it from lifting up
enough to come off.

Nothing works perfectly. And if I need to put up with a hook falling off
here and there, I can cope. Get out the hot glue gun. Smaller solutions
have solved much bigger problems.

Steve

Posted to rec.woodworking

And they're soooooo '40s!

If it works, what's the issue?

Steve

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/20/2012 11:55 AM, Bill wrote:
On 3/20/2012 11:26 AM, tiredofspam wrote:
Jack, does the mortiser need the earmuffs? 8)

Well, if it does, it could probably use a dust mask too! ; )

Nope. Only need the ear muffs when sanding with my cheap ass ROS and
have my cheap ass shop vac sucking up the dust. I get no noticeable
dust and need no dust mask when the shop vac is running.

I don't like sanding with my central dust collection system as too much
dust powder makes to my filters, so I generally use the noisy Shop Vac,
which is quieter than a Festering vac when used with the ear muffs.

This one shows some of the flexibility, holding everything from small
tools like pliers and ratchets to bar clamps, drywall square and saws.

http://jbstein.com/Flick/BenchBack2.jpg

One of the nice things about peg board is it is easy to move stuff
around, add new things and so on and it's cheap.

--
Jack
http://jbstein.com
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/20/2012 12:19 PM, Steve B wrote:
"Leon"lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote

How in the hell do you guys paint cars in such small garages? Geeze - I
thought everything was supposed to be big in Texas...

A paint brush does not need much room to function.

My first car was a 49 Dodge pick up my uncle gave me when I was 14. He
had painted it with dark green house paint and a paint brush. It looked
better than you would expect.

My oldest brother once painted my dads 49 Ford with an electrolux vacuum
cleaner and a spray painting attachment. Looked ok except the color was
some sort of really ugly powder blue.

A broom does well if you have time constraints .............. Get the one
with the fine bristles..............

Steve

--
Jack
http://jbstein.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/20/2012 11:26 AM, tiredofspam wrote:
Jack, does the mortiser need the earmuffs? 8)

Only when I use my 40 year old shop vac:-)

--
Jack
http://jbstein.com

Bill Gill wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/21/2012 10:54 AM, Jack wrote:

My first car was a 49 Dodge pick up my uncle gave me when I was 14. He

Mine was a 49 Willy's Jeepster, with a rag top, and a wolf with long
fangs painted on the continental kit.

It got up to a lot of no good ...

--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/21/2012 1:12 PM, Swingman wrote:
On 3/21/2012 10:54 AM, Jack wrote:

My first car was a 49 Dodge pick up my uncle gave me when I was 14. He

Mine was a 49 Willy's Jeepster, with a rag top, and a wolf with long
fangs painted on the continental kit.

Like this:

http://local.aaca.org/florida/49%20Jeepster%206x10.jpg

It got up to a lot of no good ...

Cars are like that, trucks not so much, but workable:-)

--
Jack
http://jbstein.com
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Jack" wrote in message
On 3/21/2012 1:12 PM, Swingman wrote:
On 3/21/2012 10:54 AM, Jack wrote:

My first car was a 49 Dodge pick up my uncle gave me when I was 14. He

Mine was a 49 Willy's Jeepster, with a rag top, and a wolf with long
fangs painted on the continental kit.

Like this:

http://local.aaca.org/florida/49%20Jeepster%206x10.jpg

It got up to a lot of no good ...

Cars are like that, trucks not so much, but workable:-)

--
Jack
http://jbstein.com

Jeepsters were cool. A friend of mine put a 350 in one, and had trouble
keeping front ends under it because of wheelying. It was one hairy ride.
And one that I would not like to do regularly.

Steve

nice [email protected] Electronics Repair 0 January 20th 08 02:07 AM
nice [email protected] Metalworking 0 January 20th 08 02:05 AM
nice [email protected] Metalworking 0 January 17th 08 01:44 AM
nice day [email protected] Home Repair 0 September 11th 07 03:00 PM