Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Digital Bevel Gauge negated!?

http://www.woodpeck.com/anglereferen...17&rid=3341059

For those extremely rare occasions when I apply a protractor to my bevel
gauge here is the deluxe version of the dust collector (for me...) ;~)

Posted to rec.woodworking

John Grossbohlin wrote:
http://www.woodpeck.com/anglereferen...17&rid=3341059

For those extremely rare occasions when I apply a protractor to my bevel
gauge here is the deluxe version of the dust collector (for me...) ;~)

And no batteries! But will it give you the reciprocal at the push of
a button?

--
Gerald Ross

Confusion not only reigns, it pours

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/24/2012 9:43 AM, Gerald Ross wrote:
John Grossbohlin wrote:
http://www.woodpeck.com/anglereferen...17&rid=3341059

For those extremely rare occasions when I apply a protractor to my bevel
gauge here is the deluxe version of the dust collector (for me...) ;~)

And no batteries! But will it give you the reciprocal at the push of a
button?

You must mean the "complement" (or supplement) of the angle?
Posted to rec.woodworking

John Grossbohlin wrote:
http://www.woodpeck.com/anglereferen...17&rid=3341059

For those extremely rare occasions when I apply a protractor to my bevel
gauge here is the deluxe version of the dust collector (for me...) ;~)

And no batteries! But will it give you the reciprocal at the push of a
button?

You must mean the "complement" (or supplement) of the angle?

Thanks for reminding me that it's been 53 years since I had geometry,
and I didn't do too well at it then, either. Actually the
instructions call it the reverse angle. Even more confusing.

--
Gerald Ross

Confusion not only reigns, it pours

Posted to rec.woodworking

John Grossbohlin wrote:
http://www.woodpeck.com/anglereferen...17&rid=3341059

For those extremely rare occasions when I apply a protractor to my
bevel
gauge here is the deluxe version of the dust collector (for me...) ;~)

And no batteries! But will it give you the reciprocal at the push of a
button?

You must mean the "complement" (or supplement) of the angle?

Thanks for reminding me that it's been 53 years since I had geometry,
and I didn't do too well at it then, either. Actually the instructions
call it the reverse angle. Even more confusing.

The device calls it REV/INV angle, which, when pressed, indeed gives the
"supplemental angle" (180 degrees minus the angle read on the device).

--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010

Posted to rec.woodworking

http://www.woodpeck.com/anglereferen...17&rid=3341059

For those extremely rare occasions when I apply a protractor to my bevel
gauge here is the deluxe version of the dust collector (for me...) ;~)

"Negated" how? By requiring two part parts to perform the same function,
and keep track of; by being without an instantly available readout at
the push of a button, and requiring two parts to get one; by being too
bulky to go in your apron pocket, or tool pouch, if you want the same
functionality; by being almost twice the price, factoring in shipping;
and not being available immediately, and from just one source?

That said, their write-up nicely made the case for the very
_functionality_ you have been going out of your way to cast doubt on, as
above, ever since the issue came up.

Negated?, Hardly.

--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Swingman" wrote in message
http://www.woodpeck.com/anglereferen...17&rid=3341059

For those extremely rare occasions when I apply a protractor to my bevel
gauge here is the deluxe version of the dust collector (for me...) ;~)

"Negated" how? By requiring two part parts to perform the same function,
and keep track of; by being without an instantly available readout at the
push of a button, and requiring two parts to get one; by being too bulky
to go in your apron pocket, or tool pouch, if you want the same
functionality; by being almost twice the price, factoring in shipping; and
not being available immediately, and from just one source?

That said, their write-up nicely made the case for the very
_functionality_ you have been going out of your way to cast doubt on, as
above, ever since the issue came up.

Negated?, Hardly.

LOL... It's a methods of work issue for sure.

Here's another tool that garnered a lot of strange reactions when I showed
it at my woodworker's club meeting. It's my most recent favorite tool...

http://www.grizzly.com/products/Hamm...g-Knife/T20433

An amazingly handy tool. Falls well into the notion that you start out with
the coarsest tool you can. I use it to split boards along the grain to start
grain matching for glue ups, split out stock for dowels, etc. Old school...
not well understood or appreciated by guys who use feeler gauges,
micrometers, and digital readouts in their woodworking. I float between meat
powered and electric powered... Neander/Normite... depends on my mood and
the job.

John

Posted to rec.woodworking

Here's another tool

http://www.grizzly.com/products/Hamm...g-Knife/T20433

An amazingly handy tool.

I use one of several (sm, med, lg) Old Hickory butcher knives I picked
up at a garage sale, for $1. They're good for cleaning under your
finger nails, occassionally, too.

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

LOL... It's a methods of work issue for sure.

Here's another tool that garnered a lot of strange reactions when I
showed it at my woodworker's club meeting. It's my most recent favorite
tool...

http://www.grizzly.com/products/Hamm...g-Knife/T20433

An amazingly handy tool. Falls well into the notion that you start out
with the coarsest tool you can. I use it to split boards along the grain
to start grain matching for glue ups, split out stock for dowels, etc.
Old school... not well understood or appreciated by guys who use feeler
gauges, micrometers, and digital readouts in their woodworking. I float
between meat powered and electric powered... Neander/Normite... depends
on my mood and the job.

Here's another "old school" tool, but this one well understood by guys
who use "feeler gauges, micrometers, and digital readouts in their
woodworking":

http://hydestore.com/hyde-tools-4560...r-scraper.html

And, with a little duct tape, your "dust collection" is indeed possible.

Well under ten bucks online ...

--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Swingman" wrote in message

Here's another "old school" tool, but this one well understood by guys who
use "feeler gauges, micrometers, and digital readouts in their
woodworking":

http://hydestore.com/hyde-tools-4560...r-scraper.html

And, with a little duct tape, your "dust collection" is indeed possible.

Well under ten bucks online ...

I've got a similar tool and there are times it is the right tool for
sure....