Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Franklin Hide Glue

Franklin Hide Glue

Anybody got a handle on shelf life of Franklin Hide Glue in the old dark
brown 8 fl. oz bottle. I got some that's at least 6 years old, and I'm
afraid to use it. :-)

TIA,
Will
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 16 Feb 2012 16:55:12 -0600, Wilfred Xavier Pickles wrote:

Anybody got a handle on shelf life of Franklin Hide Glue in the old dark
brown 8 fl. oz bottle. I got some that's at least 6 years old, and I'm
afraid to use it. :-)

It should have a date of manufacture or a use by date on it. But after 6
years, my advice is to toss it. IIRC, 9 months after manufacture is just
about the limit.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/16/2012 6:56 PM, Larry Blanchard wrote:
On Thu, 16 Feb 2012 16:55:12 -0600, Wilfred Xavier Pickles wrote:

Anybody got a handle on shelf life of Franklin Hide Glue in the old dark
brown 8 fl. oz bottle. I got some that's at least 6 years old, and I'm
afraid to use it. :-)

It should have a date of manufacture or a use by date on it. But after 6
years, my advice is to toss it. IIRC, 9 months after manufacture is just
about the limit.

Shoot, mine's older than six years and it's never shown any signs of
deterioration. Granted, I don't ever build anything where hide glue is the
preferred choice over "yellow" glue (like guitars or violins) so I only really
use it for oddball things like mixing with wood dust to make filler and never
for anything structural, but it still seems to cure up just fine.

--
Free bad advice available here.
To reply, eat the taco.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 16 Feb 2012 21:47:11 -0600, Steve Turner wrote:

It should have a date of manufacture or a use by date on it. But after
6 years, my advice is to toss it. IIRC, 9 months after manufacture is
just about the limit.

Shoot, mine's older than six years and it's never shown any signs of
deterioration.

OK, I was a little pessimistic - here's what the manufacturer says:

"Storage life : 12 months in tightly closed containers at 75°F."

Even allowing for their caution, anything over 18 months old is iffy, no
matter what luck you've had with "nothing structural".

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Feb 17, 8:42*am, Larry Blanchard wrote:
On Thu, 16 Feb 2012 21:47:11 -0600, Steve Turner wrote:
It should have a date of manufacture or a use by date on it. *But after
6 years, my advice is to toss it. *IIRC, 9 months after manufacture is
just about the limit.

Shoot, mine's older than six years and it's never shown any signs of
deterioration.

OK, I was a little pessimistic - here's what the manufacturer says:

"Storage life : 12 months in tightly closed containers at 75°F."

Even allowing for their caution, anything over 18 months old is iffy, no
matter what luck you've had with "nothing structural".

I though hide glue was releaseable with heat or something. So I
fugured is was good forever before and after use. I think the shelf
life indication might be a manufactures way of staying in business.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 17 Feb 2012 10:25:01 -0800, SonomaProducts.com wrote:

I though hide glue was releaseable with heat or something. So I fugured
is was good forever before and after use. I think the shelf life
indication might be a manufactures way of staying in business.

It is often reversible with heat *and* moisture. Steam works really
well. But it can also cause damage to the wood.
Dry hide glue will last almost forever. Once you heat it, the proteins
in it start to deteriorate. You can let it cool and solidify and then
keep it in the refrigerator for some time, but not forever.

Liquid hide glue is made by adding urea, and sometimes other stuff, to ho
hide glue so it stays liquid as it cools. So the proteins continue to
deteriorate.

BTW, here's a different manufacturer's (Old Brown GLue) statement:

"Storage life : 12 months in tightly closed containers at 75°F."

I don't think Patrick is the type to lie.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Feb 16, 5:55*pm, Wilfred Xavier Pickles
wrote:
Franklin Hide Glue

Anybody got a handle on shelf life of Franklin Hide Glue in the old dark
brown 8 fl. oz bottle. I got some that's at least 6 years old, and I'm
afraid to use it. :-)

TIA,
Will

Past 6 months is pushing it. At least if it fails, you can
strip it off easily with hot water. Dry hide glue lasts forever;
I'm using stock I purchased back in '79 with no problems.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 16 Feb 2012 21:47:11 -0600, Steve Turner wrote:

It should have a date of manufacture or a use by date on it. But after 6
years, my advice is to toss it. IIRC, 9 months after manufacture is just
about the limit.

I didn't notice when first I looked: they stamped the exp. date in
the middle of the "instructions", it sez "May94".

Shoot, mine's older than six years and it's never shown any signs of
deterioration. Granted, I don't ever build anything where hide glue is the
preferred choice over "yellow" glue (like guitars or violins) so I only really
use it for oddball things like mixing with wood dust to make filler and never
for anything structural, but it still seems to cure up just fine.

I glued a couple pieces of wood with fresh yellow glue, another pair with
the old Hide glue. After 1 day I broke both bonds: the adhesion was
entirely comparable.

So I went ahead and used the Hidey glue. No apparent problems.

I suspect 98% of applicable vendors dream up super-short shelf
lives without testing, etc, assuming it will increase revenue.

Will
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

It should have a date of manufacture or a use by date on it. But after 6
years, my advice is to toss it. IIRC, 9 months after manufacture is just
about the limit.

I didn't notice when first I looked: they stamped the exp. date in
the middle of the "instructions", it sez "May94".

That's extremely unlikely.
http://www.woodmagazine.com/material...the-glue-code/

Art

Shoot, mine's older than six years and it's never shown any signs of
deterioration. Granted, I don't ever build anything where hide glue is the
preferred choice over "yellow" glue (like guitars or violins) so I only really
use it for oddball things like mixing with wood dust to make filler and never
for anything structural, but it still seems to cure up just fine.

I glued a couple pieces of wood with fresh yellow glue, another pair with
the old Hide glue. After 1 day I broke both bonds: the adhesion was
entirely comparable.

So I went ahead and used the Hidey glue. No apparent problems.

I suspect 98% of applicable vendors dream up super-short shelf
lives without testing, etc, assuming it will increase revenue.

Will

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

It should have a date of manufacture or a use by date on it. But after 6
years, my advice is to toss it. IIRC, 9 months after manufacture is just
about the limit.

I didn't notice when first I looked: they stamped the exp. date in
the middle of the "instructions", it sez "May94".

That's extremely unlikely.
http://www.woodmagazine.com/material...the-glue-code/

Art

Never mind. I was thinking of a paper instruction booklet. Brain fart.
Art

Shoot, mine's older than six years and it's never shown any signs of
deterioration. Granted, I don't ever build anything where hide glue is the
preferred choice over "yellow" glue (like guitars or violins) so I only really
use it for oddball things like mixing with wood dust to make filler and never
for anything structural, but it still seems to cure up just fine.

I glued a couple pieces of wood with fresh yellow glue, another pair with
the old Hide glue. After 1 day I broke both bonds: the adhesion was
entirely comparable.

So I went ahead and used the Hidey glue. No apparent problems.

I suspect 98% of applicable vendors dream up super-short shelf
lives without testing, etc, assuming it will increase revenue.

Will

Natural, water-resistant glue such as casein or hide glue? JakeD UK diy 22 December 11th 07 02:15 PM
Hide glue Tim Taylor Woodworking 18 November 8th 06 08:43 PM
hide glue help Frank Boettcher Woodworking 2 January 11th 06 11:42 PM
To use hide glue? [email protected] Woodworking 24 November 14th 05 12:55 AM
About Hot Hide Glue Lawrence L'Hote Woodworking 1 May 9th 04 03:43 AM