Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Woodshop Injury

The recent threads about tape measures reminded me of a serious injury
I received from one not long ago. I was measuring a board about 6
feet long. When done, I pushed the release and the tape retracted
with such force that my index finger became pinched between the
housing and the little tab at the end of the tape.

I decided to take action. First step was to lock up all my tape
measures in a strong safe, far away from the grandchildren and
untrained users.

Next, I wrote letters to all the consumer agencies and my faithful
public servants, the congress people and asked that they pass laws
governing the use of the tape measure.

Then, I got to work on a new invention. I have a working model of a
protection device. When the tape retracts, it has a sensor on the end
that will stop the tape just short of your finger. It comes to a dead
stop and it even ejects the hook on the end to eliminate any
possibility of contact. In order to work, you do have to plug the
tape measure into a 120V outlet, but hey, a minor inconvenience to
stop a pinch. I've thinking of a 220 model for heavy industry use
too.

So far, I've only tested it on hot dogs. I'm looking for volunteers
to put their finger in place, but frankly, no one has had the courage
to do so.

I'm going to market it as Tape Stop. Kind of a catchy name huh? I
just invented the name too. Once perfected, I'm going to demo it to
lawmakers and safety experts. I think it should be mandated to be on
every tape measure sold. Its for the children, you know.
Posted to rec.woodworking

I'll take two. Next, please work on a nonslip #2 square drive bit,
unlike the one that slipped yesterday and buried itself two skin layers
deep in the palm of my hand.

Larry (the guy with the bandaid on his left paw.

On 2/14/2012 9:39 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

Kind of funny. TS, it has more than one meaning.

Marc
Posted to rec.woodworking

marc rosen wrote:

Kind of funny. TS, it has more than one meaning.

Bull! TS means Titty Show - just ask anyone...

Swingman - get on this one with me...

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

[...]

WERE you using the guard or operating with out the guard.....????

Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote in
:

[...]

It doesn't matter. Even using all the safety equipment on the tape,
since it was not equipped with Tape Stop technology the company is
liable.

Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Ed Pawlowski wrote in
:

[...]

Something akin to a drawer slide soft close would be a welcome addition to
most tape measures. Some of them hit so hard when retracting that they'll
roll down the driveway, hit a bump, and dent a car.

My Craftsman tape does seem to have some sort of limiter, but not all do.

Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/15/2012 9:59 AM, Zz Yzx wrote:
You laugh (me too, good post). But one of the worst cuts I've ever
gotten in the shop came from a small precision Inca ruler.

Some of the worst cut I ever received by the edge of the paper instructions.
Posted to rec.woodworking

How about a "Typing Stop" or "Keyboard Stop?" You know, something that
would stop people from typing ridiculous usenet posts? Maybe it would
only need to work on the ENTER key.

Posted to rec.woodworking

In ,
Ed Pawlowski typed:
[...]

Simpler to just learn how to use it, dummy with lots of money.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/14/2012 10:39 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
The recent threads about tape measures reminded me of a serious injury
I received from one not long ago. I was measuring a board about 6
feet long. When done, I pushed the release and the tape retracted
with such force that my index finger became pinched between the
housing and the little tab at the end of the tape.

I bet it was a Fastcap tape!

[...]

Yes, you are using a Fastcap tape, you need to test with a Stanley tape,
less courage needed...

I'm going to market it as Tape Stop. Kind of a catchy name huh? I
just invented the name too. Once perfected, I'm going to demo it to
lawmakers and safety experts. I think it should be mandated to be on
every tape measure sold. Its for the children, you know.

What are you, a commie lawyer... I'll *NEVER* buy one, no matter how
safe. I know how to cut off a finger to save a thumb...
--
Jack
http://jbstein.com
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/15/2012 9:59 AM, Zz Yzx wrote:
You laugh (me too, good post). But one of the worst cuts I've ever
gotten in the shop came from a small precision Inca ruler.

All my nicks and cuts came from hand tools. Don't recall ever getting
an injury from a power tool. Maybe that's why I love power tools and
find hand tools... Neanderthalic, or maybe the hand tools know how I
feel and are out to get me:-)

--
Jack
http://jbstein.com

On Tue, 14 Feb 2012 22:39:26 -0500, Ed wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article ,
Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On Wed, 15 Feb 2012 23:49:21 +0000 (UTC),
(Larry W) wrote:

How about a "Typing Stop" or "Keyboard Stop?" You know, something that
would stop people from typing ridiculous usenet posts? Maybe it would
only need to work on the ENTER key.

I was able to bypass it.

Dare I say it? ME TOO!

OT On the job injury Metspitzer Home Repair 17 July 16th 09 01:42 AM
Another DIY injury Steve UK diy 5 August 9th 07 06:54 PM
Serious Ringtone Injury [email protected] Home Repair 2 August 26th 06 04:32 PM