Posted to rec.woodworking

Default How much natural oil does wood have

Can anyone give me some idea if cured alder, maple, or walnut contain any natural oils that could be damaging to high carbon steel? I want to make some boxes that will be in contact with items, or contain items that will eventually be in contact with, high carbon steel sword blades. I'm worried that these natural oils could damage the metal.

Any suggestions for wood that had no natural oils that might be better for this type of application?

Thanks.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Feb 5, 2:36*pm, Dave Rathnow wrote:
Can anyone give me some idea if cured alder, maple, or walnut contain any natural oils that could be damaging to high carbon steel? *I want to make some boxes that will be in contact with items, or contain items that will eventually be in contact with, high carbon steel sword blades. *I'm worried that these natural oils could damage the metal.

Any suggestions for wood that had no natural oils that might be better for this type of application?

Thanks.

Some woods are oily but mostly exotic tropicals. These woods have low
to no oil content that I am aware of. I would think the moisture would
be much more of a concern. Wouldn't you want to build small pedestals
covered in velvet or something. Maybe one at the hilt another mid
blade and one at the tip? Maybe opposing items on the lid, cushioned
to lock the blade into the box?

You could also do some heavy coats of poly or lacquer and that would
shield it from direct wood content.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Dave Rathnow" wrote:

Can anyone give me some idea if cured alder, maple, or walnut
contain any natural oils that could be damaging to high carbon
steel? I want to make some boxes that will be in contact with
items, or contain items that will eventually be in contact with,
high carbon steel sword blades. I'm worried that these natural oils
could damage the metal.

Any suggestions for wood that had no natural oils that might be better
for this type of application?
--------------------------------
Sooner or later natural wood and carbon steel will react.

Line the inside of the boxes with "mole skin" and the problem won't
exist.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 02/07/2012 01:31 AM, Lew Hodgett wrote:
"Dave Rathnow" wrote:

Can anyone give me some idea if cured alder, maple, or walnut
contain any natural oils that could be damaging to high carbon
steel? I want to make some boxes that will be in contact with
items, or contain items that will eventually be in contact with,
high carbon steel sword blades. I'm worried that these natural oils
could damage the metal.

Any suggestions for wood that had no natural oils that might be better
for this type of application?
--------------------------------
Sooner or later natural wood and carbon steel will react.

Yeah, it causes the dreaded "oak rust" we've all heard so much about.

--
Free bad advice available here.
To reply, eat the taco.
Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

"Dave Rathnow" wrote:

Can anyone give me some idea if cured alder, maple, or walnut
contain any natural oils that could be damaging to high carbon
steel? I want to make some boxes that will be in contact with
items, or contain items that will eventually be in contact with,
high carbon steel sword blades. I'm worried that these natural oils
could damage the metal.

Any suggestions for wood that had no natural oils that might be better
for this type of application?
--------------------------------
Sooner or later natural wood and carbon steel will react.

Yeah, it causes the dreaded "oak rust" we've all heard so much about.

As a note, it's the tannin in oak that creates tannic acid in
conjunction w/ moisture that's the actual culprit w/ oak and to a lesser
extent, walnut, not "oils".

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/7/2012 11:29 AM, Steve Turner wrote:
On 02/07/2012 01:31 AM, Lew Hodgett wrote:

Sooner or later natural wood and carbon steel will react.

Yeah, it causes the dreaded "oak rust" we've all heard so much about.

ROTFL ...

--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
Posted to rec.woodworking

Dave Rathnow wrote in

Can anyone give me some idea if cured alder, maple, or walnut contain
any natural oils that could be damaging to high carbon steel?

In the first place, very few woods contain any oils at all. So: no, they don't.

In the second place, why are you concerned about oil damaging steel? Applying a coat of oil is one of
the standard ways of *protecting* steel.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/7/12 12:17 PM, Swingman wrote:
On 2/7/2012 11:29 AM, Steve Turner wrote:
On 02/07/2012 01:31 AM, Lew Hodgett wrote:

Sooner or later natural wood and carbon steel will react.

Yeah, it causes the dreaded "oak rust" we've all heard so much about.

ROTFL ...

Keep laughing guys. It's Oak rust brought down the Eiffel Tower, now
didn't it. Or *did* it?

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/7/2012 12:37 PM, Doug Miller wrote:
Dave wrote in

Can anyone give me some idea if cured alder, maple, or walnut contain
any natural oils that could be damaging to high carbon steel?

In the first place, very few woods contain any oils at all. So: no, they don't.

In the second place, why are you concerned about oil damaging steel? Applying a coat of oil is one of
the standard ways of *protecting* steel.

I am thinking he meant to say acids in the wood. I thought the oil
would be ok too. I wish Bocote did not have oil.... or what ever it is
in that wood that gums up sand paper very very quickly....as does Cocobolo.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/7/2012 12:52 PM, -MIKE- wrote:
On 2/7/12 12:17 PM, Swingman wrote:
On 2/7/2012 11:29 AM, Steve Turner wrote:
On 02/07/2012 01:31 AM, Lew Hodgett wrote:

Sooner or later natural wood and carbon steel will react.

Yeah, it causes the dreaded "oak rust" we've all heard so much about.

ROTFL ...

Keep laughing guys. It's Oak rust brought down the Eiffel Tower, now
didn't it. Or *did* it?

And don't forget Oak'n'ah'wa.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote in
:

On 2/7/2012 12:37 PM, Doug Miller wrote:
Dave wrote in

Can anyone give me some idea if cured alder, maple, or walnut
contain any natural oils that could be damaging to high carbon
steel?

In the first place, very few woods contain any oils at all. So: no,
they don't.

In the second place, why are you concerned about oil damaging steel?
Applying a coat of oil is one of the standard ways of *protecting*
steel.

I am thinking he meant to say acids in the wood. I thought the oil
would be ok too. I wish Bocote did not have oil.... or what ever it
is in that wood that gums up sand paper very very quickly....as does
Cocobolo.

Indeed, there are acids present in some woods that could corrode steel -- red oak, walnut, and
maybe cherry come to mind immediately. His biggest concern, though, is moisture, I think. But
regardless, a good lacquer or varnish finish should eliminate either concern.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Feb 7, 1:37*pm, Doug Miller
wrote:
Dave Rathnow wrote innews:12697834.524.1328481413281..JavaMail.geo-discussion-forums@yquu38:

Can anyone give me some idea if cured alder, maple, or walnut contain
any natural oils that could be damaging to high carbon steel?

In the first place, very few woods contain any oils at all. So: no, they don't.

In the second place, why are you concerned about oil damaging steel? Applying a coat of oil is one of
the standard ways of *protecting* steel.

Camellia oil is standard for protecting Japanese swords,
which have a higher carbon percentage and rust even easier
than western 1095 or O-1.
Posted to rec.woodworking
Han Han is offline

-MIKE- wrote in news:jgrrtg$m2i$1
@speranza.aioe.org:

On 2/7/12 12:17 PM, Swingman wrote:
On 2/7/2012 11:29 AM, Steve Turner wrote:
On 02/07/2012 01:31 AM, Lew Hodgett wrote:

Sooner or later natural wood and carbon steel will react.

Yeah, it causes the dreaded "oak rust" we've all heard so much about.

ROTFL ...

Keep laughing guys. It's Oak rust brought down the Eiffel Tower, now
didn't it. Or *did* it?

I was on that thing in 2010. They were repainting parts then, as they
are almost continuously, I believe. It is spectacular there on top ...

--
Best regards
Han
Posted to rec.woodworking

Father Haskell wrote:
On Feb 7, 1:37 pm, Doug
wrote:
Dave wrote innews:12697834.524.1328481413281.JavaMail.geo-discussion-forums@yquu38:

Can anyone give me some idea if cured alder, maple, or walnut contain
any natural oils that could be damaging to high carbon steel?

In the first place, very few woods contain any oils at all. So: no, they don't.

In the second place, why are you concerned about oil damaging steel? Applying a coat of oil is one of
the standard ways of *protecting* steel.

Camellia oil is standard for protecting Japanese swords,
which have a higher carbon percentage and rust even easier
than western 1095 or O-1.

My sword is stainless steel, but I use camellia oil on my rust-prone
tools. It works well. The University of Ga is experimenting in
growing the types of camellias that are used to produce oil in the
state, mainly for export. They cook with it in China, and can't
produce as much as they need.

--
Gerald Ross

It IS as bad as you think, and they