Tana

Default How do I remove poly from natural wood items?

Help required please...
I made some candlesticks from natural tree branches a while back.
To finish them I used polyurethane but now I want to take them back to
natural wood or even give them a danish oil finish.

Should I try something like "paint stripper"?
Any thoughts would be appreciated.

For the cheeky ones, yes I know the best way is not to put it on in the
first place.

Thanks T.
Dave W

Last week I, by accident, had some AFTER BITE fall on my cherry table with a
poly finish. The poly wrinkled up just like I had put remover on it. I
dabbed at the soft finish and it came off down to the wood. The active
ingredient is ammonia. Otherwise, paint stripper would work.
Dave

Andy Dingley

On Thu, 28 Jul 2005 19:25:35 +1000, Tana wrote:

To finish them I used polyurethane but now I want to take them back to
natural wood or even give them a danish oil finish.

Leave the poly in situ, but use fine wire wool to matt the surface.
It'll look fine and it's a lot easier than trying to get every vestige
of soaked-in poly out so that you can use an oil finish.

Or else make some more. It'll be easier than trying to shift the old
finish and you end up with twice as many candleholders.