Default Looking to buy a good quality low cost block plane any suggestions

Looking to buy a good quality low cost block plane any suggestions
Thomas Kendrick

Stanley low-angle block plane, $30 most places. It's not a L-N, but
does an adequate job.

On Wed, 21 Jul 2004 09:31:44 -0400, wrote:

Looking to buy a good quality low cost block plane any suggestions

patrick conroy

wrote in message

Looking to buy a good quality low cost block plane any suggestions

I have the Stanely. Completely unfetteled (sp?). I'd call it unacceptable as
it comes out of the box. Perhaps if fetteled and the iron replaced...

But I'm thinking the money would have been best spent on a Lee Valley or
L/N...

Bob Davis

wrote in message
Looking to buy a good quality low cost block plane any suggestions

Block planes are not very pricey, no matter what brand you buy.

Knight Tools http://tinyurl.com/3llro $115
Lee Valley http://tinyurl.com/6gbjc $99
Lee Nielsen http://tinyurl.com/62tp2 $95

Bob

Jamie

In the Grizzly catelog, they sell a low price block plane (under the "Shop
Fox" brand name) for $14.95.

I have no experience with "Shop Fox" products, but hope others in this
newsgroup can comment on their value.

Thanks

wrote in message
Looking to buy a good quality low cost block plane any suggestions

Lawrence Wasserman

Without getting into a comparison with LV or LN, I have a new style
Stanley low angle block plane, model 12-960, and I find it works just
as well as my old Stanley 60 1/2.
--

Larry Wasserman Baltimore, Maryland

Andy Dingley

On Wed, 21 Jul 2004 09:31:44 -0400, wrote:

Looking to buy a good quality low cost block plane any suggestions

Lee Valley, the low angle block with the adjustable mouth.

Sell children as necessary.

RonB

Shop Fox and Grizzly are close cousins. For example, the Shop Fox machinery
is very similar to Grizzly except for color and the fact they are retailed
outside of the Grizzly direct order system (at a higher retail price).
Grizzly also offers other Shop Fox tools and accessories through their
catalogue and their outlets.

In addition to a 1023S cabinet saw, I own a few smaller SF tools and
accessories. The saw is great and no complaints on other items. The saw
also uses a Shop Fox Classic fence that is a Beismeier look-alike and solid
as a rock. At the price you have seen, it is probably worth a try.

Ron

nk.net...

wrote in message
Looking to buy a good quality low cost block plane any suggestions

Newbie Woodworker

On Wed, 21 Jul 2004 09:31:44 -0400, marksrob wrote:

Looking to buy a good quality low cost block plane any suggestions

I have the Lee Valley low-angle adjustable (which, if you look around,
isn't very expensive at all). I would highly recommend you spend the
$100 for it. It's worked great for me although out of the box, the iron
was not ground square to the sides.
Conan the Librarian

Lawrence Wasserman wrote:

Without getting into a comparison with LV or LN, I have a new style
Stanley low angle block plane, model 12-960, and I find it works just
as well as my old Stanley 60 1/2.

Does the iron hold an edge as well as the old plane? That's my
biggest gripe with the newer Stanleys (well, there are more problems
than that, but those relate to the bench planes).

Anyhow, if it works for you, that's great. Personally, I wouldn't
buy *any* new Stanley bench or block plane on a dare. BTDT, got a
paperweight out of the deal.

Chuck Vance

On Thu, 22 Jul 2004 06:54:33 -0500, Conan the Librarian
wrote:

Lawrence Wasserman wrote:

Without getting into a comparison with LV or LN, I have a new style
Stanley low angle block plane, model 12-960, and I find it works just
as well as my old Stanley 60 1/2.

Does the iron hold an edge as well as the old plane? That's my
biggest gripe with the newer Stanleys (well, there are more problems
than that, but those relate to the bench planes).

Anyhow, if it works for you, that's great. Personally, I wouldn't
buy *any* new Stanley bench or block plane on a dare. BTDT, got a
paperweight out of the deal.

Chuck Vance

last time I bought a new stanley plane was about 12 or 15 years ago. I
was working out of town and discovered that I had left my block plane
behind. went to the toyc^c^ool store and bought the best one they had.
low angle stanley made in england. it's fine.
patriarch

wrote in
:

wrote:

Lawrence Wasserman wrote:

Without getting into a comparison with LV or LN, I have a new style
Stanley low angle block plane, model 12-960, and I find it works just
as well as my old Stanley 60 1/2.

Does the iron hold an edge as well as the old plane? That's my
biggest gripe with the newer Stanleys (well, there are more problems
than that, but those relate to the bench planes).

Anyhow, if it works for you, that's great. Personally, I wouldn't
buy *any* new Stanley bench or block plane on a dare. BTDT, got a
paperweight out of the deal.

Chuck Vance

last time I bought a new stanley plane was about 12 or 15 years ago. I
was working out of town and discovered that I had left my block plane
behind. went to the toyc^c^ool store and bought the best one they had.
low angle stanley made in england. it's fine.

I bought the same one about 3 years ago.

$55 + two hours of fussing with it, and it still isn't nearly as good as
the Veritas, right out of the wrapper. The blade doesn't stay sharp as
long. It won't stay as tightly (finely) adjusted. And it doesn't have the
same feel in your hand as the Veritas.

That said, it hasn't been banished to the nether regions of tool hell, as
the Record #4 has been. THAT is a $75 boat anchor/mistake that won't be
repeated. Funny, the Records at the Adult Ed shop worked just fine.

Did you ever have a tool you were too embarrassed to even give away? As
in, 'I wouldn't wish that on anyone?'

Patriarch
Frank

Lei-Neilsen. You will never be unhappy with it and you will need only
one in this lifetime. Why get adequate unless you don't mind your work
being merely adequate. Devils advocate "any well tuned plane will work
well" , reality: the L-N will need about 7 minutes of tuning out of
the box. As for Lee valley, if you use a tool 3 times a day 5 days a
week for the next 10-30 years really whats an extra $75, for a tool
thats'a pleasure to use. but dont worry the L-N really is a good tool,
it's not jewelry.
-Frank
Looking to buy a good quality low cost block plane any suggestions

On Thu, 22 Jul 2004 17:40:02 GMT, patriarch
wrote:

wrote in
:

wrote:

Lawrence Wasserman wrote:

[...]

never having had a veritas in my hand (I don't think there were any
veritas planes at the time I bought that one) I can't make a
comparison. I did spend some time fettling, but it wasn't too bad...
it was a while ago, I don't remember exactly how long it took. it
sounds like there was some decline in stanley's quality during the
interval between our purchases.

That said, it hasn't been banished to the nether regions of tool hell, as
the Record #4 has been. THAT is a $75 boat anchor/mistake that won't be
repeated. Funny, the Records at the Adult Ed shop worked just fine.

Did you ever have a tool you were too embarrassed to even give away? As
in, 'I wouldn't wish that on anyone?'

"... Here, man, this is for you. no,, no.. don't look at it too
closely. you can have it, I got a better one that actually works. just
get that thing out of my shop...."

Patriarch

J. Clarke

wrote:

On Thu, 22 Jul 2004 17:40:02 GMT, patriarch
wrote:

wrote in
m:

wrote:

Lawrence Wasserman wrote:

[...]

FWIW, I got a Stanley G12-060 about ten years back. Never gonna do that
again. Friggin thing was trying to be a skew plane. It's OK now but far
too much work for the reward.

That said, it hasn't been banished to the nether regions of tool hell, as
the Record #4 has been. THAT is a $75 boat anchor/mistake that won't be
repeated. Funny, the Records at the Adult Ed shop worked just fine.

Did you ever have a tool you were too embarrassed to even give away? As
in, 'I wouldn't wish that on anyone?'

"... Here, man, this is for you. no,, no.. don't look at it too
closely. you can have it, I got a better one that actually works. just
get that thing out of my shop...."

Patriarch

--
--John