Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Sanding block felt?

I'm looking for some ~3/32" thick durable felt to use for sanding
blocks. Any ideas?
Posted to rec.woodworking

Ya mean like this:

http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/f...bingblock.aspx

MJ
Posted to rec.woodworking

Another:

http://www.sandmanproducts.com/accessories.htm

Google "block felt sanding". Might be more.

MJ
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 31, 9:06*pm, JayPique wrote:

I'm looking for some ~3/32" thick durable felt to use for sanding
blocks. Any ideas?

It's easy enough to make felt - boil some old wool clothing. I use
cork instead of felt. A little bit stiffer, but that thin it doesn't
really matter as it's more about what you mount it to.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 01/02/2012 03:17, RicodJour wrote:
On Jan 31, 9:06 pm, wrote:

I'm looking for some ~3/32" thick durable felt to use for sanding
blocks. Any ideas?

It's easy enough to make felt - boil some old wool clothing. I use
cork instead of felt. A little bit stiffer, but that thin it doesn't
really matter as it's more about what you mount it to.

In the UK you can buy self-adhesive dense felt in sheets about 6" x 5"
to use on the bottom of chair/table legs etc to stop scratching on
polished wood floors. Would probably be OK for sanding blocks? I
assume must be available in the US too.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 01 Feb 2012 11:14:03 +0000, Norman Billingham
In the UK you can buy self-adhesive dense felt in sheets about 6" x 5"
to use on the bottom of chair/table legs etc to stop scratching on
polished wood floors. Would probably be OK for sanding blocks? I
assume must be available in the US too.

They do stop scratching, but I think generally they're bought for the
fact that they let heavier furniture be slid around more easily.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/1/2012 5:23 AM, Dave wrote:
On Wed, 01 Feb 2012 11:14:03 +0000, Norman Billingham
In the UK you can buy self-adhesive dense felt in sheets about 6" x 5"
to use on the bottom of chair/table legs etc to stop scratching on
polished wood floors. Would probably be OK for sanding blocks? I
assume must be available in the US too.

They do stop scratching, but I think generally they're bought for the
fact that they let heavier furniture be slid around more easily.

And to stop chairs from going SCREEEEEEECH when you pull them from the
dining room table.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/31/2012 7:06 PM, JayPique wrote:
I'm looking for some ~3/32" thick durable felt to use for sanding
blocks. Any ideas?

michaels has 1' squares of felt for very little money
Posted to rec.woodworking

Walmart has 3.5" X 6" felt blanks, for cutting your own size furniture
casters, cheap!

Otherwise, go to your local upholsterer and get whatever size piece of
1/4" felt you need. Upholsterers have 24" X 50' rolls, for padding
against (usually seat/decking) springs in furniture.

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Feb 1, 3:26*pm, Sonny wrote:
Walmart has 3.5" X 6" felt blanks, for cutting your own size furniture
casters, cheap!

Otherwise, go to your local upholsterer and get whatever size piece of
1/4" felt you need. *Upholsterers have 24" X 50' rolls, for padding
against (usually seat/decking) springs in furniture.

Sonny

That I like - I needed to sand the bottom of a 1.25" wide groove and
wanted to make a custom block with felt, as just wood blocks pill up
much too quickly. It's done now, but I want to have a supply on hand.
JP

Newbie Sanding block question Cardinal Woodworking 9 November 28th 08 08:30 PM
Help please sanding staircase - sanding disc grades? [email protected] Woodturning 4 July 24th 07 07:07 PM
Where to get a sanding block in Sheff? Doki UK diy 11 June 1st 07 02:11 PM
Re-Sanding block paving JD UK diy 4 June 3rd 05 02:11 AM
How well do the powerless sanding tools work on sanding the inside of bowls? George Saridakis Woodturning 5 February 8th 05 11:48 PM