Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Speaking of nail guns ...

I have a Stanley bostich bt200 18 gauge brad mail gun.

I had a bad nail jab a few years ago and ever since it leaks air out the
exhaust in the handle.

I could deal with it as I use the gun very little but now so much air leaks
out, my compressor can't keep up and just runs when I have it connected.

I've opened up the main cylinder housing and taken out the trigger valve and
all the o rings are intact. For the amount of air that comes out one of the
o rings would have to missing or not fitting in it slot right. Its not a
little hiss but more like what you would get out of an air gun. Only one
part looks out of place and its called the diaphram head valve.

I found the rebuild kit for it but its from 50 to 60 dollars. I think I only
spent $80 on it 12 years ago and a new one is only $89. If I can't point to
a simple part to replace I may just go to Harbor Freight and get their el
cheapo one for $18. It would work better than the one I have now.

Not sure what to do. This is a tool a use rarely.

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 1/21/2012 6:41 PM, Cliff Hartle wrote:
I have a Stanley bostich bt200 18 gauge brad mail gun.

I found the rebuild kit for it but its from 50 to 60 dollars....

I found the trigger kit for a Bostitch framing nailer for only like $25
or so....can't think the brad nailer could be any more at most unless
the kit also includes the hammer, etc., not just the air valve.

Posted to rec.woodworking

You've probably already spent 2 hours messing with you "gun" (LOL).
That time may be worth $50. Get the HB one.

Put the Bostitch on Ebay, with a note of air leakage in the trigger
and you don't want to mess with it... see what happens

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

Cliff Hartle wrote:
I have a Stanley bostich bt200 18 gauge brad mail gun.

I found the rebuild kit for it but its from 50 to 60 dollars. I think
I only spent $80 on it 12 years ago and a new one is only $89. If I
can't point to a simple part to replace I may just go to Harbor
Freight and get their el cheapo one for $18. It would work better
than the one I have now.
Not sure what to do. This is a tool a use rarely.

Lots of folks here use the HF guns - with no problems.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Mike Marlow" wrote in news:bf4f8$4f1b62e1
:

Lots of folks here use the HF guns - with no problems.

I've had some problems with the HF gun, mostly it wouldn't fire every time.
That was using the included nails and oil.

Like many have said, however, you're Harbor Freight's QC. If it doesn't
work, take it back.

Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Speaking of nail guns ... Update

OK after I posted this I found another parts site that had a Q&A for this
gun. One question was my problem and they came back with an answer to
replace the one part, the diaphragm head valve, that I said looked a little
weird.

If it doesn't work I'll just get the HF one.

They had a cheaper shipping charge so I bought the part for a total of
around $10. So we shall see.

Posted to rec.woodworking

I found the rebuild kit for it but its from 50 to 60 dollars....

I found the trigger kit for a Bostitch framing nailer for only like $25 or
so....can't think the brad nailer could be any more at most unless the kit
also includes the hammer, etc., not just the air valve.

The kit includes all the O rings, seals, the cylinder, the piston and some
other parts, that's why it's $50..

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 1/22/2012 7:46 AM, Cliff Hartle wrote:
I found the rebuild kit for it but its from 50 to 60 dollars....

I found the trigger kit for a Bostitch framing nailer for only like $25 or
so....can't think the brad nailer could be any more at most unless the kit
also includes the hammer, etc., not just the air valve.

The kit includes all the O rings, seals, the cylinder, the piston and some
other parts, that's why it's $50..

If it's just the air leak, I'd look for the seals kit some more;
otherwise probably just bite the bullet and put the unneeded parts away
until do need 'em.

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 1/22/2012 7:42 AM, Cliff Hartle wrote:
OK after I posted this I found another parts ...

They had a cheaper shipping charge so I bought the part for a total of
around $10. So we shall see.

Ah, didn't see this earlier (obviously).

Good, sounds more better...

I was trying to find the outfit I bought the trigger kit from; some
little mom 'n pop place that shipped it in a hand-addressed 1st-class
envelope for next to nothing. Seemed like a real place to keep on hand;
I'm doing invoices for the year for taxes at the moment; when I come to
it I'll post the url for future reference for others even though didn't
come up w/ it in time for this specific thread.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"dpb" wrote in message ...
On 1/22/2012 7:42 AM, Cliff Hartle wrote:
OK after I posted this I found another parts ...

They had a cheaper shipping charge so I bought the part for a total of
around $10. So we shall see.

Ah, didn't see this earlier (obviously).

Good, sounds more better...

I was trying to find the outfit I bought the trigger kit from; some little
mom 'n pop place that shipped it in a hand-addressed 1st-class envelope
for next to nothing. Seemed like a real place to keep on hand; I'm doing
invoices for the year for taxes at the moment; when I come to it I'll post
the url for future reference for others even though didn't come up w/ it
in time for this specific thread.

--

I only bought the one part. Like I posted, the rebuild kit included a ton of
other parts I probably don't need and is 2.5 times the price of the HF tool.

Since I'm not installing kitchens anymore I only use the tool a few times a
year. I may not even use up all the nails I have but its just one of those
tools that you just have to have for certain situations.

I brought the cheap HF hammer SDS drill because I may only have to drill a
couple of dozen holes in concrete but no other tool will do the job.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Take the piston and the head valve parts apart and grease them. I swear,
the problem will be solved.

-- Jim in NC

OK I got the part because the other one was damaged installed, it and did
not help.

So I got some white lithium grease and greased up the head valve parts and
thought it helped but I realized the compressor wasn't on and as the
pressure in the tank went down so did the leak.

I fired it up and using enough pressure to drive a 2" brad into a 2x4 it
still leaked. So the only thing I know is as the pressure goes up the
hissing is louder. At around 50 psi its pretty much gone.

Off to Harbor Freight except I'm going to get a 16 gauge nailer which is
better for trim. The 18 gauge was for kitchens that have a lot of thin small
pieces.

Q: Tell Me About Nail Guns Arthur Shapiro Home Repair 22 October 6th 11 11:49 PM
Nail guns Matty F UK diy 20 June 12th 10 08:14 AM
Nail Guns Don The Duck UK diy 5 May 26th 07 07:44 PM
Nail Guns Weatherlawyer UK diy 4 August 25th 06 08:29 PM
Speaking of guns... steamer Metalworking 18 April 28th 06 03:41 PM