Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
steamer

Default Speaking of guns...

--My pal the contractor was working on the house last weekend and he
brought along a very interesting nail gun: this one used butane for fuel,
worked purdy good too. Sooo has anyone tried to make a butane-powered pellet
gun or anything similar? Demented minds want to know, bwahaha..

--
"Steamboat Ed" Haas : I'll have the roast duck
Hacking the Trailing Edge! : with the mango salsa...
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Dave Hinz

On 26 Apr 2006 21:59:27 GMT, steamer wrote:
--My pal the contractor was working on the house last weekend and he
brought along a very interesting nail gun: this one used butane for fuel,
worked purdy good too. Sooo has anyone tried to make a butane-powered pellet
gun or anything similar? Demented minds want to know, bwahaha..

Most likely a "Paslode" brand, or a copy of it (if there are any). Not
cheap to feed, but effective if you don't have, or don't want to drag, a
compressor. From what I've seen they're well made, professional-grade
tools.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Eric R Snow

On 26 Apr 2006 21:59:27 GMT, steamer wrote:

--My pal the contractor was working on the house last weekend and he
brought along a very interesting nail gun: this one used butane for fuel,
worked purdy good too. Sooo has anyone tried to make a butane-powered pellet
gun or anything similar? Demented minds want to know, bwahaha..

I've looked at these nail guns and all the ones I've seen also use a
battery. I think it's for either a fan to clear the combustion chamber
or it's for spark. Anybody know?
Eric
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Don Bruder

In article ,
Eric R Snow wrote:

On 26 Apr 2006 21:59:27 GMT, steamer wrote:

--My pal the contractor was working on the house last weekend and he
brought along a very interesting nail gun: this one used butane for fuel,
worked purdy good too. Sooo has anyone tried to make a butane-powered pellet
gun or anything similar? Demented minds want to know, bwahaha..

I've looked at these nail guns and all the ones I've seen also use a
battery. I think it's for either a fan to clear the combustion chamber
or it's for spark. Anybody know?
Eric

The one I got a close look at was for both - Spark to fire it, then a
little blower pumped air into the chamber for the next shot.

ever knowing it arrived. Sorry... http://www.sonic.net/~dakidd for more info
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Trevor Jones

steamer wrote:

--My pal the contractor was working on the house last weekend and he
brought along a very interesting nail gun: this one used butane for fuel,
worked purdy good too. Sooo has anyone tried to make a butane-powered pellet
gun or anything similar? Demented minds want to know, bwahaha..

No pellet guns yet, and not too likely either IMO as it impinges on
firearms manufacturing laws.

Tippman has built a paintball gun that works on the principle, though,
using propane.

http://www.specialopspaintball.com/a...tippmannc3.asp

I know that the Daisy VL ran afoul of some of the firearms laws in some
areas, as did a few of the ether injected airguns from Europe.

As a side note, one of the reasons that the English have advanced the
state of the art in precharged pneumatic airguns to the level they have,
has to do with the turn of phrase of their law that defines a firearm as
having a propellant other than air, or some such silly thing, with the
result that one could own any air rifle up to 12 ft lbs energy with no
paperwork at all, but the CO2 powered pellet guns the likes that Crosman
and Daisy, anemic by comparison, had to be licensed as firearms.

Some fun! :-/

Cheers
Trevor Jones

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bruce L. Bergman

On Wed, 26 Apr 2006 17:05:28 -0700, Eric R Snow
wrote:
On 26 Apr 2006 21:59:27 GMT, steamer wrote:

--My pal the contractor was working on the house last weekend and he
brought along a very interesting nail gun: this one used butane for fuel,
worked purdy good too. Sooo has anyone tried to make a butane-powered pellet
gun or anything similar? Demented minds want to know, bwahaha..

Paslode nail guns can be a real life-saver. If you want an
endorsement, ask Danny Glover. ;-)

I've looked at these nail guns and all the ones I've seen also use a
battery. I think it's for either a fan to clear the combustion chamber
or it's for spark. Anybody know?

C) All of the Above.

It's a fan to clear the chamber, and the ignition spark, and
probably also fuel solenoid metering pulse and safety circuit. But
the bang is propane/butane.

-- Bruce --

Electrician for Westend Electric - CA726700
5737 Kanan Rd. #359, Agoura CA 91301 (818) 889-9545

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Trevor Jones

Tony wrote:

A butane powered gun would be considered a firearm in the US

Pretty much what I figured.
The corporate lawyers would have looked this one over fairly closely, I
think.

Tippman has a bit of experience in Firearms manufacture as well, during
the early 80's they were making scaled down belt fed copies of the 1919
Browning and the Browning M2, in 22 long rifle and 22 rimfire magnum,
respectively.

That powerplat from the paintball marker would make a pretty good
airgun, if the pressures will not destroy the unit. 50K shots on $3
worth of propane is pretty tough to beat. I wonder if the unit has been
engineered to preclude just that.

Not like I'm going to drop the coin to rip one apart. :-)

Cheers
Trevor Jones

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
jgandalf

Tony wrote:
A butane powered gun would be considered a firearm in the US

So are potato guns considered firearms, albeit homemade?

Our local Faux News (the sex scandal kings) reported the other day that
a murder suspect was arrested, and inside his house, police found
"weapons of mass destruction" (their term). Gasp! A "turrist", no
doubt. Another source (apparently not drunk on newspower) reported that
police found "explosives" in his house. Still don't know if they were
fertilizer bombs, black powder, M-80s, or plastique (or maybe cans of
butane...).

Joe

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Dave Lyon

"steamer" wrote in message
--My pal the contractor was working on the house last weekend and he
brought along a very interesting nail gun: this one used butane for fuel,
worked purdy good too. Sooo has anyone tried to make a butane-powered

pellet
gun or anything similar? Demented minds want to know, bwahaha..

--
"Steamboat Ed" Haas : I'll have the roast duck
Hacking the Trailing Edge! : with the mango salsa...
www.nmpproducts.com
---Decks a-wash in a sea of words---

Tippmann makes a propane powered paintball gun. They claim it gets 50,000
shots from a 16 oz deposable can of gas.

Google Tipmmann C3

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Dave Hinz

On 27 Apr 2006 06:38:09 -0700, jgandalf wrote:
Tony wrote:
A butane powered gun would be considered a firearm in the US

So are potato guns considered firearms, albeit homemade?

Check with the BATF.

Our local Faux News (the sex scandal kings) reported the other day that
a murder suspect was arrested, and inside his house, police found
"weapons of mass destruction" (their term). Gasp! A "turrist", no
doubt. Another source (apparently not drunk on newspower) reported that
police found "explosives" in his house. Still don't know if they were
fertilizer bombs, black powder, M-80s, or plastique (or maybe cans of
butane...).

Every time I've been close to a story that the press reports, I see how
badly and cluelessly the screw it up. So I assume that they do the same
to stories I don't know the facts on.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Dave Lyon

Tony wrote:

A butane powered gun would be considered a firearm in the US

Pretty much what I figured.
The corporate lawyers would have looked this one over fairly closely, I
think.

Tippman has a bit of experience in Firearms manufacture as well, during
the early 80's they were making scaled down belt fed copies of the 1919
Browning and the Browning M2, in 22 long rifle and 22 rimfire magnum,
respectively.

That powerplat from the paintball marker would make a pretty good
airgun, if the pressures will not destroy the unit. 50K shots on $3
worth of propane is pretty tough to beat. I wonder if the unit has been
engineered to preclude just that.

Not like I'm going to drop the coin to rip one apart. :-)

Cheers
Trevor Jones

I've got one.

The pressures really aren't that bad in a paintball gun. Remember, if you
shock the ball too bad, you end up with a Wagner Power Painter instead of a
paintball gun.
A "normal" paintball gun uses a small burst of air or CO2 in the 800 psi
range, but by the time it hits the ball, it's down to around 200 or so.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Dave Lyon

"jgandalf" wrote in message
ups.com...
Tony wrote:
A butane powered gun would be considered a firearm in the US

So are potato guns considered firearms, albeit homemade?

Our local Faux News (the sex scandal kings) reported the other day that
a murder suspect was arrested, and inside his house, police found
"weapons of mass destruction" (their term). Gasp! A "turrist", no
doubt. Another source (apparently not drunk on newspower) reported that
police found "explosives" in his house. Still don't know if they were
fertilizer bombs, black powder, M-80s, or plastique (or maybe cans of
butane...).

Joe

It turns out he had a bag of flour in the kitchen!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Trevor Jones

Tony wrote:

well to be a firearm it would have to fire fixed (cartridge) ammunition

That would depend on the jurisdiction you are in, and the definition
that is used there. As I mentioned here previously, British law was only
just changed in the past few years to allow CO2 pellet guns to not be
considered firearms. The VL Daisy rifle was also considered a firearm in
many places because it used a burning propellant, though it had no
cartridge.

Cheers
Trevor Jones
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bruce L. Bergman

On Thu, 27 Apr 2006 14:27:30 GMT, "Dave Lyon"
wrote:
"jgandalf" wrote in message
oups.com...
Tony wrote:

A butane powered gun would be considered a firearm in the US

So are potato guns considered firearms, albeit homemade?

Our local Faux News (the sex scandal kings) reported the other day that
a murder suspect was arrested, and inside his house, police found
"weapons of mass destruction" (their term). Gasp! A "turrist", no
doubt. Another source (apparently not drunk on newspower) reported that
police found "explosives" in his house. Still don't know if they were
fertilizer bombs, black powder, M-80s, or plastique (or maybe cans of
butane...).

It turns out he had a bag of flour in the kitchen!

Hey, under the right circumstances (get it dispersed into the air in
a nice dense cloud of Grain Dust) that bag of flour can make a hell of
a BOOM!!!

More than enough power to level the house, and kill or maim a bunch
of people who happen to be inside or close to said house.

-- Bruce --

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Dave Hinz

On Fri, 28 Apr 2006 01:52:06 -0400, Tony wrote:
well to be a firearm it would have to fire fixed (cartridge) ammunition

Are you the same Tony who has shown staggering ignorance on the topic
previously, or a new one?