Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Porch Storage Bench

Another task I would like to partake in is building this bench (link below)
which allows the seat to lift for storage and is easy to make, except my
intention is to allow for the postal/carrier people to insert packages when
they make their delivery. The postal dept and carrier services often leave
packages on my front porch exposed for all to view. I thought of something
decorative to put on the porch for those packages and thought of this bench.

The plans calls for cedar. Some of you may remember my question about cedar
and finish but now I'm wondering if anyone would use another type of wood.
I'm in Michigan, therefore, the weather changes daily.

http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/how-...508104,00.html

Thank you

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/18/2012 6:41 PM, Justin Time wrote:
Another task I would like to partake in is building this bench (link below)
which allows the seat to lift for storage and is easy to make, except my
intention is to allow for the postal/carrier people to insert packages when
they make their delivery. The postal dept and carrier services often leave
packages on my front porch exposed for all to view. I thought of something
decorative to put on the porch for those packages and thought of this bench.

The plans calls for cedar. Some of you may remember my question about cedar
and finish but now I'm wondering if anyone would use another type of wood.
I'm in Michigan, therefore, the weather changes daily.

http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/how-...508104,00.html

Western Red Cedar would be a good choice.

That said, ya gotta be kidding? You're going to get "postal/carrier
people to insert packages when they make their delivery."??

How, by putting a sign up?

Good luck with that idea, into the second decade of the 21st century ...

--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
Posted to rec.woodworking

May not have to worry about the postman putting packages into the
bench. Worry about someone stealing the bench. Someone stole pot
plants off my neighbor's screened in porch.

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/18/2012 8:04 PM, Sonny wrote:
May not have to worry about the postman putting packages into the
bench. Worry about someone stealing the bench. Someone stole pot
plants off my neighbor's screened in porch.

Sonny

Gee, I can't imagine why anybody would steal pot plants.

To reply, eat the taco.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bbqboyee/
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/18/12 9:01 PM, Steve Turner wrote:
On 1/18/2012 8:04 PM, Sonny wrote:
May not have to worry about the postman putting packages into the
bench. Worry about someone stealing the bench. Someone stole pot
plants off my neighbor's screened in porch.

Sonny

Gee, I can't imagine why anybody would steal pot plants.

Like

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

Steve Turner wrote:
On 1/18/2012 8:04 PM, Sonny wrote:
May not have to worry about the postman putting packages into the
bench. Worry about someone stealing the bench. Someone stole pot
plants off my neighbor's screened in porch.

Sonny

Gee, I can't imagine why anybody would steal pot plants.

I can, if they were pot pot plants.

Posted to rec.woodworking

The plans calls for cedar. Some of you may remember my question about cedar
and finish but now I'm wondering if anyone would use another type of wood.
I'm in Michigan, therefore, the weather changes daily.

http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/how-...508104,00.html

Thank you

Nice looking bench. Looks like they used Ipe a pretty common porch
wood that withstands weather well and looks great with some Penofin
penetrating oil stain. Could also lean tpward Arts & Crafts and go
with some quartersawn white oak. Does very well in weather. White Oak
was what all the British ships were made of back in the day when they
still had a few trees sprouting out of the big island.

Of course Mahogany or Teak are good outside woods or Redwood or
Cyprus. Or you could build it out of that plastic crap that they sell
for decking now but we will have to ask you to leave the group.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Justin Time wrote:

Another task I would like to partake in is building this bench (link
below) which allows the seat to lift for storage and is easy to make,
except my intention is to allow for the postal/carrier people to insert
packages when they make their delivery. The postal dept and carrier
services often leave packages on my front porch exposed for all to view. I
thought of something decorative to put on the porch for those packages and
thought of this bench.

The plans calls for cedar. Some of you may remember my question about
cedar and finish but now I'm wondering if anyone would use another type of
wood. I'm in Michigan, therefore, the weather changes daily.

http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/how-...508104,00.html

Thank you

Justin, if you were living down here in Southern Alabama, I would suggest
cypress. Red cedar is a good choice, but living as you do in Mitch-a-gan,
why don't you make it out of white oak? I I assume your porch is covered and
anyway, its good in the weather and with a good exterior oil on it it will
probably last longer than you do. Then there is the advantage that it will
be (in my father's words) "heavier than a dead preist." Somehow, that has a
tendency to curtail folks being willing to steal it. :-)

BTW, if you can find a local (depending on where you live - rural or urban)
sawmill that cuts white oak and get it green and rough cut, you can save a
bundle. It will take the wood six months or so, maybe a year, to fully dry,
but if you are not in a hurry, its the way to go.

Deb

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 19, 10:19*am, "Dr. Deb" wrote:
Justin Time wrote:
[...]

Deb- Hide quoted text -

I agree, as you did use the word "wood" in place of the word "good",
that the words are interchangable. wood=good
Posted to rec.woodworking

Earlier, I did mean potted plants, were stolen, and I took Steve's
reply as a ribbing.

The plans calls for cedar.

Do you mean Eastern Red cedar (aromatic cedar) (juniper). If so, a
few good coats of shellac is recommended, then topcoat. The shellac
will block the cedar resin from leaching out, especially from knotted
areas or other dense wood areas. The resin in ER cedar moves like
mercury in a thermometer, at the slightest temp change. I've built
quite a few projects with ER cedar and found this to be the case with
the resin issue. With ER cedar, the interior can be left unfinished,
to further help with the resin issue.

If you ever put a piece of ER cedar in direct sunlight, within 90
seconds, or so, you can hear it start popping loudly, i.e., the wood
and the resin expands, really fast!

Sonny

Posted to rec.woodworking

"SonomaProducts.com" wrote in message

[...]

Perhaps I shouldn't tell you that idea crossed my mind.....but only for a
few seconds. Please let me stay...LOL.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Justin Time" wrote:

The plans calls for cedar. Some of you may remember my question
about cedar
and finish but now I'm wondering if anyone would use another type of
wood.

-------------------------------------
Trying to get wood to survive in this application is like ****ing up a
rope.

These people are in the neighborhood.

Good looking product.

http://tinyurl.com/y976voo

Have fun.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/18/2012 6:41 PM, Justin Time wrote:
Another task I would like to partake in is building this bench (link below)
which allows the seat to lift for storage and is easy to make, except my
intention is to allow for the postal/carrier people to insert packages when
they make their delivery. The postal dept and carrier services often leave
packages on my front porch exposed for all to view. I thought of something
decorative to put on the porch for those packages and thought of this bench.

The plans calls for cedar. Some of you may remember my question about cedar
and finish but now I'm wondering if anyone would use another type of wood.
I'm in Michigan, therefore, the weather changes daily.

Some one asked me about something similar the other day, so I made a
scale Sketchup model, using the dimensions in the link, and put it on
3dWarehouse if anyone is interested:

http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehou...c2cd006d206129

--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/19/2012 5:31 PM, Swingman wrote:

Some one asked me about something similar the other day, so I made a
scale Sketchup model, using the dimensions in the link, and put it on
3dWarehouse if anyone is interested:

http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehou...c2cd006d206129

FWIW:

Anyone making this thing is going to want to do something about
reinforcing the back. If you take a look at the model, you will see that
the 46 1/2" span is not going to very solid to lean back against for
very long.

--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 18 Jan 2012 18:04:40 -0800 (PST), Sonny
wrote:

May not have to worry about the postman putting packages into the
bench. Worry about someone stealing the bench. Someone stole pot
plants off my neighbor's screened in porch.

Sonny

HEY, the guy owed me money and wouldn't return my calls. What else
was I supposed to do?

-Zz

PATIO STORAGE BENCH J T Woodworking 0 January 7th 08 12:30 PM
ENTRYWAY STORAGE BENCH J T Woodworking 0 November 12th 07 04:16 PM
Wood prepped for second half of bench top - Bitsa Bench Mike Richardson Woodworking Plans and Photos 0 June 24th 07 05:22 AM
BENCH-TOP STORAGE CHEST J T Woodworking 0 February 18th 07 03:46 AM
Bench Vice Handle for new work bench Nick Bozovich Woodworking 7 August 27th 04 07:22 AM