Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Leigh -- part II

Well, I finally got the jig set up with the usual amount of head
scratching. I thought that the 8 mm collet reducer was missing, so that
made for a 25 mile trip to the not-so-local Rockler shop. Discovered it
later in the same bag as the included router bits. Duh! Decided to use
two routers, so needed to run to HF for the 7/16 bushing and then back
to Rockler for another collet reducer, at which time I discovered a 50%
off sale, so managed to kill 45 minutes browsing.

Finally ran a test for through dovetails. A little more tearout than I
anticipated and the joint was way too tight. Brought out the mallet and
still couldn't get it to fit. Then I recalled the directions offered
some adjustments for just that circumstance. Could not pry the joint
apart (it really was tight), so I decided it was time for a break and
I'll attack this again tomorrow.

Bottom line: I am encouraged. I hope to avoid Rockler tomorrow. By the
way, I picked up two Kreg hold downs and a bag of glue brushes for half
price.

Larry
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/12/2012 10:55 PM, Gramp's shop wrote:
[...]

Cool!

Tear out is mostly technique. IIRC they want a backer board on the back
side and you do a reverse climb cut on the front side before cutting out
between the fingers. IIRC you enter in the right side and exit on the
left side of the cut if the tails and pins are wide enough.

Leigh it on me Gramp's shop Woodworking 6 January 8th 12 01:16 PM
Leigh D4R VRS Bonehenge (B A R R Y) Woodworking 1 November 25th 07 08:17 PM
Anyone know how to use a Leigh FMT? Jane & David Woodworking 0 July 19th 07 07:43 PM
FS: Leigh FMT JPE Woodworking 0 August 20th 05 01:14 AM
Leigh FMT [email protected] Woodworking 5 February 9th 05 06:56 PM