Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Making shop rags

I recently acquired a box of cotton Tshirts at pennies on the dollar.
Does anyone have any hints on the most efficient way to cut them into
shop rages?

Doing them one by each with a pair of scissors is time consuming and a
PITA.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/22/2011 10:29 AM, Dave Balderstone wrote:
I recently acquired a box of cotton Tshirts at pennies on the dollar.
Does anyone have any hints on the most efficient way to cut them into
shop rages?

Rages are best confined to safer parts of the house.

Doing them one by each with a pair of scissors is time consuming and a
PITA.

Got any kids?
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/22/2011 10:29 AM, Dave Balderstone wrote:
I recently acquired a box of cotton Tshirts at pennies on the dollar.
Does anyone have any hints on the most efficient way to cut them into
shop rages?

Doing them one by each with a pair of scissors is time consuming and a
PITA.

Nick it at the edge with the scissors, then tear.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Dave Balderstone" wrote in message
I recently acquired a box of cotton Tshirts at pennies on the dollar.
Does anyone have any hints on the most efficient way to cut them into
shop rages?

Doing them one by each with a pair of scissors is time consuming and a
PITA.

I just take a utility knife to them as needed. No need to make up a bunch
of them ahead of time. Unless, of course, you have a super need for shop
rags.

It ain't pretty. And the sizes, shapes, etc can vary greatly. But rags are
rags.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/22/2011 9:29 AM, Dave Balderstone wrote:
I recently acquired a box of cotton Tshirts at pennies on the dollar.
Does anyone have any hints on the most efficient way to cut them into
shop rages?

Doing them one by each with a pair of scissors is time consuming and a
PITA.

You never now what the future may bring. Just put 'em in a sack on the
top shelf and cut one up as needed.

--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Dec 22, 10:29*am, Dave Balderstone wrote:
I recently acquired a box of cotton Tshirts at pennies on the dollar.
Does anyone have any hints on the most efficient way to cut them into
shop rages?

Doing them one by each with a pair of scissors is time consuming and a
PITA.

Pinking shears will make the cutting easier.
JoeG
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 22 Dec 2011 09:29:48 -0600, Dave Balderstone
wrote:

I recently acquired a box of cotton Tshirts at pennies on the dollar.
Does anyone have any hints on the most efficient way to cut them into
shop rages?

Doing them one by each with a pair of scissors is time consuming and a
PITA.

Lee Valley has the tool

http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/pag...50,43298,43314
Posted to rec.woodworking
Max Max is offline

"Dave Balderstone" wrote in message
I recently acquired a box of cotton Tshirts at pennies on the dollar.
Does anyone have any hints on the most efficient way to cut them into
shop rages?

Doing them one by each with a pair of scissors is time consuming and a
PITA.

http://tinyurl.com/7tx28us

Max

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

I recently acquired a box of cotton Tshirts at pennies on the dollar.
Does anyone have any hints on the most efficient way to cut them into
shop rages?

Doing them one by each with a pair of scissors is time consuming and a
PITA.

Lee Valley has the tool

http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/pag...50,43298,43314

You can get rotary cutters like this at any sewing shop. They are used
a lot by quilters to cut up all those pieces of fabric for their
patterns.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/22/2011 9:29 AM, Dave Balderstone wrote:
I recently acquired a box of cotton Tshirts at pennies on the dollar.
Does anyone have any hints on the most efficient way to cut them into
shop rages?

Doing them one by each with a pair of scissors is time consuming and a
PITA.

To to a hobby store or a sewing store and buy an inexpensive rotary cutter.

You can cut 8~12 layers at once and it works like but much better than a
pizza cutter. To this over a wood surface and be careful with the razor
sharp cutting wheel.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/22/2011 9:29 AM, Dave Balderstone wrote:
I recently acquired a box of cotton Tshirts at pennies on the dollar.
Does anyone have any hints on the most efficient way to cut them into
shop rages?

Doing them one by each with a pair of scissors is time consuming and a
PITA.

Rotary cutter, common in fabric, quilting, craft stores.

http://www.amazon.com/Fiskars-45mm-C.../dp/B000B7M8WU
Posted to rec.woodworking

Dave Balderstone wrote:
I recently acquired a box of cotton Tshirts at pennies on the dollar.
Does anyone have any hints on the most efficient way to cut them into
shop rages?

Doing them one by each with a pair of scissors is time consuming and a
PITA.

Be a real he-man. Wet a stack of them, put them in the freezer or
leave outdoors depending on where you live. Then cut them on the bandsaur.

--
Gerald Ross

It's kind of fun to do the impossible.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Dave Balderstone wrote the following:
I recently acquired a box of cotton Tshirts at pennies on the dollar.
Does anyone have any hints on the most efficient way to cut them into
shop rages?

Doing them one by each with a pair of scissors is time consuming and a
PITA.

Band saw. :-)

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/22/2011 1:07 PM, willshak wrote:
Dave Balderstone wrote the following:
I recently acquired a box of cotton Tshirts at pennies on the dollar.
Does anyone have any hints on the most efficient way to cut them into
shop rages?

Doing them one by each with a pair of scissors is time consuming and a
PITA.

Band saw. :-)

Didn't Norm have power rag-cutting machine? It was right next to the
Elizabethan Chair machine. (Toss in a stump, out comes a dining set, but
you viewers can do it at home with your flint hand axes)
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/22/2011 8:29 AM, Dave Balderstone wrote:
I recently acquired a box of cotton Tshirts at pennies on the dollar.
Does anyone have any hints on the most efficient way to cut them into
shop rages?

Doing them one by each with a pair of scissors is time consuming and a
PITA.

Multitask. Cut'em up while watching TV. Then it doesn't matter how
time consuming it is.

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article , Gerald Ross
wrote:

Be a real he-man. Wet a stack of them, put them in the freezer or
leave outdoors depending on where you live. Then cut them on the bandsaur.

Finally! A real answer!

--
Woodworking and more at http://www.woodenwabbits.com
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Dec 22, 1:01*pm, Gerald Ross wrote:
Dave Balderstone wrote:
I recently acquired a box of cotton Tshirts at pennies on the dollar.
Does anyone have any hints on the most efficient way to cut them into
shop rages?

Doing them one by each with a pair of scissors is time consuming and a
PITA.

Be a real he-man. *Wet a stack of them, put them in the freezer or
leave outdoors depending on where you live. Then cut them on the bandsaur..

--
Gerald Ross

It's kind of fun to do the impossible.

A real man just breaks them over his knee.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Dec 22, 9:29*am, Dave Balderstone wrote:
I recently acquired a box of cotton Tshirts at pennies on the dollar.
Does anyone have any hints on the most efficient way to cut them into
shop rages?

Doing them one by each with a pair of scissors is time consuming and a
PITA.

We buy them at a local thrift shop for .50 to $1 for a Walmart bag
stuffed full. I just nick the edge with a box knife or my tooth and
tear off what I need. I have to be a little careful that I don't get
a linty edge but they work well for staining, cleaning and anything
else.

Ron
Posted to rec.woodworking
EXT EXT is offline

"Dave Balderstone" wrote in message
I recently acquired a box of cotton Tshirts at pennies on the dollar.
Does anyone have any hints on the most efficient way to cut them into
shop rages?

Doing them one by each with a pair of scissors is time consuming and a
PITA.

Remove all seams, bound edges and stitching, as these can make a mess of any
wood finishing projects, you want clean smooth cloths for this.

If they are just to blot up a spill, don't even bother to cut them.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Dec 22, 10:29*am, Dave Balderstone wrote:
I recently acquired a box of cotton Tshirts at pennies on the dollar.
Does anyone have any hints on the most efficient way to cut them into
shop rages?

Doing them one by each with a pair of scissors is time consuming and a
PITA.

Clamp a knife into your vise with the blade pointing up.
Grab a tee shirt on either side of the blade and pull.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Father Haskell wrote:
On Dec 22, 10:29 am, Dave wrote:
I recently acquired a box of cotton Tshirts at pennies on the dollar.
Does anyone have any hints on the most efficient way to cut them into
shop rages?

Doing them one by each with a pair of scissors is time consuming and a
PITA.

Clamp a knife into your vise with the blade pointing up.

Grab a tee shirt on either side of the blade and pull.

Gosh, just put one hand on each side of the seam and pull--we need to
stay in shape out there! If someone may be watching, you could always
sever a few of the first stitches beforehand. : )
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Dec 25, 11:48*pm, Bill wrote:
Father Haskell wrote:
On Dec 22, 10:29 am, Dave *wrote:
I recently acquired a box of cotton Tshirts at pennies on the dollar.
Does anyone have any hints on the most efficient way to cut them into
shop rages?

Doing them one by each with a pair of scissors is time consuming and a
PITA.

Clamp a knife into your vise with the blade pointing up.
Grab a tee shirt on either side of the blade and pull.

Gosh, just put one hand on each side of the seam and pull--we need to
stay in shape out there! * If someone may be watching, you could always
sever a few of the first stitches beforehand. *: )

I should be embarrassed to say this, but I pile old t-shirts in a box
and take them to my mom to cut up when it gets full. She cuts them
the same way every time - sleeves off and split, neck removed and the
front and back cut roughly square and nicely folded. I end up with
two neat little stacks - one small one of for application, and one
large one for wiping off. I should add that I'm fairly particular by
nature....
JP
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 26 Dec 2011 06:42:06 -0800 (PST), JayPique
wrote:

On Dec 25, 11:48*pm, Bill wrote:
Father Haskell wrote:
On Dec 22, 10:29 am, Dave *wrote:
[...]

I hope you bought her a good set of shears to use while doing this for
you, Jape.

--
[Television is] the triumph of machine over people.
-- Fred Allen
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

On Dec 25, 11:48 pm, wrote:
Father Haskell wrote:
On Dec 22, 10:29 am, Dave wrote:
[...]

...and an iron! : )

--
[Television is] the triumph of machine over people.
-- Fred Allen

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2011-12-22 11:39:39 -0500, Markem said:

Lee Valley has the tool

Damnit! Lee Valley is offering free shipping again!

That's gonna cost me...

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 26 Dec 2011 19:26:28 -0500, Steve

On 2011-12-22 11:39:39 -0500, Markem said:

Lee Valley has the tool

Damnit! Lee Valley is offering free shipping again!

That's gonna cost me...

Oh, goodie! Now I can afford those plastic shims and painter's
pyramids. AW****ITSONLYFORORDERSOF$40ORMORE.

(Why limit it for Christmas, Rob?)

Speaking of Robs, where'd Toy disappear to?

--
[Television is] the triumph of machine over people.
-- Fred Allen
Posted to rec.woodworking
Han Han is offline

Larry Jaques wrote in
:

Speaking of Robs, where'd Toy disappear to?

You'd have to email him, or me.

--
Best regards
Han
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 27 Dec 2011 03:04:40 GMT, Han wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote in
:

Speaking of Robs, where'd Toy disappear to?

You'd have to email him, or me.

Han
email address is invalid

Is this a test? g