Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Best source of free (old) ww e-books I've seen

http://www.craftsmanspace.com/free-b...and-tools.html

If you don't mind books that are over 100 years old, you are bound to
find something you like at the site above.

I've grown fond of the style of expression used by many of the authors
of yesteryear...

If I could just choose *one tool* I'm pretty sure I would choose the
book. Being able to share a thought with someone from far away, from a
different time and place, impresses the hell of out me when I think
about it. And none of the books don't have trolls in them unless you
want them there! ; )

Bill
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2011-12-08, Bill wrote:
http://www.craftsmanspace.com/free-b...and-tools.html

If you don't mind books that are over 100 years old, you are bound to
find something you like at the site above.

I've grown fond of the style of expression used by many of the authors
of yesteryear...

If I could just choose *one tool* I'm pretty sure I would choose the
book. Being able to share a thought with someone from far away, from a
different time and place, impresses the hell of out me when I think
about it. And none of the books don't have trolls in them unless you
want them there! ; )

Bill

Many thanks,

seismo malm
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 08 Dec 2011 00:04:38 -0500, Bill wrote:

http://www.craftsmanspace.com/free-b...and-tools.html

If you don't mind books that are over 100 years old, you are bound to
find something you like at the site above.

I've grown fond of the style of expression used by many of the authors
of yesteryear...

Yes, it was considerably more considered and considerate, wasn't it?

If I could just choose *one tool* I'm pretty sure I would choose the
book. Being able to share a thought with someone from far away, from a
different time and place, impresses the hell of out me when I think
about it. And none of the books don't have trolls in them unless you
want them there! ; )

"none of the books don't", Bill?

I gave up teevee for books, so my vote goes to them, too.

--
Shake off all the fears of servile prejudices, under which weak minds
are servilely crouched. Fix reason firmly in her seat, and call on her
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/8/2011 9:17 AM, Larry Jaques wrote:
On Thu, 08 Dec 2011 00:04:38 -0500, wrote:

http://www.craftsmanspace.com/free-b...and-tools.html

If you don't mind books that are over 100 years old, you are bound to
find something you like at the site above.

I've grown fond of the style of expression used by many of the authors
of yesteryear...

Yes, it was considerably more considered and considerate, wasn't it?

If I could just choose *one tool* I'm pretty sure I would choose the
book. Being able to share a thought with someone from far away, from a
different time and place, impresses the hell of out me when I think
about it. And none of the books don't have trolls in them unless you
want them there! ; )

"none of the books don't", Bill?

Yeah, you say them words right out! Don't hold back! Folks will thing
you ate a frog fer breakfast or something-er-nother.

[That writing style is actually my cheap imitation of that of a
particularly lifely-chick from another forum. Maybe I'll post a sample
of her actual "work"--at least I hope it's her work! ; )] She can saw a
fiddle like all-get-out too!

Cheers,
Bill

I gave up teevee for books, so my vote goes to them, too.

--
Shake off all the fears of servile prejudices, under which weak minds
are servilely crouched. Fix reason firmly in her seat, and call on her
tribunal for every fact, every opinion. Question with boldness even the
existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of
the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear.
-- Thomas Jefferson

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 08 Dec 2011 12:28:37 -0500, Bill
wrote:

On 12/8/2011 9:51 AM, Bill wrote:
[...]

LJ, Here a sample of the lady's "work". I like her unique way with words:

Recently I changed the settings at sites where I post my music from

I didn't see any double negatives there, Bill. What's the URL, anyway?
She sounds like fun.

--
Shake off all the fears of servile prejudices, under which weak minds
are servilely crouched. Fix reason firmly in her seat, and call on her
tribunal for every fact, every opinion. Question with boldness even the
existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of
the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear.
-- Thomas Jefferson

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

On 12/8/2011 9:51 AM, Bill wrote:
[...]

She doesn't write as much as she used to. But here is where I copied
that text. I understand Jane is even more interesting in person.

http://www.fiddlehangout.com/myhangout/home.asp?id=2154

By the way, you should know I know a double-negative when I use one.
Ain't you never heard of hyperbole? Some folks turn 'em on a lathe
super fast...

--
Shake off all the fears of servile prejudices, under which weak minds
are servilely crouched. Fix reason firmly in her seat, and call on her
tribunal for every fact, every opinion. Question with boldness even the
existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of
the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear.
-- Thomas Jefferson

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 08 Dec 2011 23:28:31 -0500, Bill wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote:
I didn't see any double negatives there, Bill. What's the URL, anyway?
She sounds like fun.

She doesn't write as much as she used to. But here is where I copied
that text. I understand Jane is even more interesting in person.

Hah! I like her Click Dark comment: "Do it like minstrels always did
it until Dick Clark came along and started selling his Show Biz Toxic
Souvenir Snake Oil Hair Tonic and [r]uined everything that was good
and simple in God's Creation. "

http://www.fiddlehangout.com/myhangout/home.asp?id=2154

By the way, you should know I know a double-negative when I use one.

Ado.

Ain't you never heard of hyperbole? Some folks turn 'em on a lathe
super fast...

ouch,ouch,ouch

--
Shake off all the fears of servile prejudices, under which weak minds
are servilely crouched. Fix reason firmly in her seat, and call on her
tribunal for every fact, every opinion. Question with boldness even the
existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of
the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear.
-- Thomas Jefferson
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/9/2011 9:51 AM, Larry Jaques wrote:

Ain't you never heard of hyperbole? Some folks turn 'em on a lathe
super fast...

ouch,ouch,ouch

Awe, I'm just trying to keep you amused. To lots of high-schoolers,a
hyperbole is known as a hyperbowl, not to be confused with a superbowl,
superball, a hyperball, a hyperbole or hyperbowling, as I'm doing
here---oops, that's a metaphor.... (reminds me of a Abbott and Costello
sketch).

--
Shake off all the fears of servile prejudices, under which weak minds
are servilely crouched. Fix reason firmly in her seat, and call on her
tribunal for every fact, every opinion. Question with boldness even the
existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of
the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear.
-- Thomas Jefferson

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 09 Dec 2011 11:00:23 -0500, Bill
wrote:

On 12/9/2011 9:51 AM, Larry Jaques wrote:

Ain't you never heard of hyperbole? Some folks turn 'em on a lathe
super fast...

ouch,ouch,ouch

Awe, I'm just trying to keep you amused. To lots of high-schoolers,a
hyperbole is known as a hyperbowl, not to be confused with a superbowl,
superball, a hyperball, a hyperbole or hyperbowling, as I'm doing
here---oops, that's a metaphor.... (reminds me of a Abbott and Costello
sketch).

And why else would I be OUCHing?

--
A sound mind in a sound body is a short but full description
of a happy state in this world.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

On 12/9/2011 9:51 AM, Larry Jaques wrote:

Ain't you never heard of hyperbole? Some folks turn 'em on a lathe
super fast...

ouch,ouch,ouch

Awe, I'm just trying to keep you amused. To lots of high-schoolers,a
hyperbole is known as a hyperbowl, not to be confused with a superbowl,
superball, a hyperball, a hyperbole or hyperbowling, as I'm doing
here---oops, that's a metaphor.... (reminds me of a Abbott and Costello
sketch).

And why else would I be OUCHing?

My sense of humor is that bad, huh???

--
A sound mind in a sound body is a short but full description
of a happy state in this world.
-- John Locke

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

On 12/9/2011 9:51 AM, Larry Jaques wrote:

Ain't you never heard of hyperbole? Some folks turn 'em on a lathe
super fast...

ouch,ouch,ouch

Awe, I'm just trying to keep you amused. To lots of high-schoolers,a
hyperbole is known as a hyperbowl, not to be confused with a superbowl,
superball, a hyperball, a hyperbole or hyperbowling, as I'm doing
here---oops, that's a metaphor.... (reminds me of a Abbott and Costello
sketch).

And why else would I be OUCHing?

My sense of humor is that bad, huh???

Would you like to buy a Sus-que-hanna hat???

--
A sound mind in a sound body is a short but full description
of a happy state in this world.
-- John Locke

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

On 12/9/2011 9:51 AM, Larry Jaques wrote:

Ain't you never heard of hyperbole? Some folks turn 'em on a lathe
super fast...

ouch,ouch,ouch

Awe, I'm just trying to keep you amused. To lots of high-schoolers,a
hyperbole is known as a hyperbowl, not to be confused with a superbowl,
superball, a hyperball, a hyperbole or hyperbowling, as I'm doing
here---oops, that's a metaphor.... (reminds me of a Abbott and Costello
sketch).

And why else would I be OUCHing?

My sense of humor is that bad, huh???

Only when you lower yourself to A&C's level, or use triple question
marks or exclamation points. kaff, kaff

--
A sound mind in a sound body is a short but full description
of a happy state in this world.
-- John Locke
Posted to rec.woodworking

Larry Jaques wrote:

wrote:

On 12/9/2011 9:51 AM, Larry Jaques wrote:

Ain't you never heard of hyperbole? Some folks turn 'em on a lathe
super fast...

ouch,ouch,ouch

Awe, I'm just trying to keep you amused. To lots of high-schoolers,a
hyperbole is known as a hyperbowl, not to be confused with a superbowl,
superball, a hyperball, a hyperbole or hyperbowling, as I'm doing
here---oops, that's a metaphor.... (reminds me of a Abbott and Costello
sketch).

And why else would I be OUCHing?

My sense of humor is that bad, huh???

Only when you lower yourself to A&C's level, or use triple question
marks or exclamation points.kaff, kaff

Only when I lower myself to the A&C level? Is THAT what you said?
Ni-ag-ra Falls...

--
A sound mind in a sound body is a short but full description
of a happy state in this world.
-- John Locke

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

On 12/9/2011 9:51 AM, Larry Jaques wrote:

Ain't you never heard of hyperbole? Some folks turn 'em on a lathe
super fast...

ouch,ouch,ouch

Awe, I'm just trying to keep you amused. To lots of high-schoolers,a
hyperbole is known as a hyperbowl, not to be confused with a superbowl,
superball, a hyperball, a hyperbole or hyperbowling, as I'm doing
here---oops, that's a metaphor.... (reminds me of a Abbott and Costello
sketch).

And why else would I be OUCHing?

My sense of humor is that bad, huh???

Only when you lower yourself to A&C's level, or use triple question
marks or exclamation points.kaff, kaff

Only when I lower myself to the A&C level? Is THAT what you said?
Ni-ag-ra Falls...

That one went PSA, mon. 'Splain, please?

--
A sound mind in a sound body is a short but full description
of a happy state in this world.
-- John Locke
Posted to rec.woodworking

Larry Jaques wrote:

wrote:

On 12/9/2011 9:51 AM, Larry Jaques wrote:

Ain't you never heard of hyperbole? Some folks turn 'em on a lathe
super fast...

ouch,ouch,ouch

Awe, I'm just trying to keep you amused. To lots of high-schoolers,a
hyperbole is known as a hyperbowl, not to be confused with a superbowl,
superball, a hyperball, a hyperbole or hyperbowling, as I'm doing
here---oops, that's a metaphor.... (reminds me of a Abbott and Costello
sketch).

And why else would I be OUCHing?

My sense of humor is that bad, huh???

Only when you lower yourself to A&C's level, or use triple question
marks or exclamation points.kaff, kaff

Only when I lower myself to the A&C level? Is THAT what you said?
Ni-ag-ra Falls...

That one went PSA, mon. 'Splain, please?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9pQii...eature=related

And similar:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BReOX...eature=related

--
A sound mind in a sound body is a short but full description
of a happy state in this world.
-- John Locke

Posted to rec.woodworking

1:17 in this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n57lsxe5Cqo

--
A sound mind in a sound body is a short but full description
of a happy state in this world.
-- John Locke
Posted to rec.woodworking

Larry Jaques wrote:

wrote:

[...]

Yeah, hyperbowls aren't not as subtle as they used to be, ain't they?

--
A sound mind in a sound body is a short but full description
of a happy state in this world.
-- John Locke

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

Larry, If you find yourself tired, and ouch'ed to death, you might enjoy
this A&C sketch:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q24mfUn9HFU

--
A sound mind in a sound body is a short but full description
of a happy state in this world.
-- John Locke

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

Yes, they isn't.

--
Do not let your fire go out, spark by irreplacable spark.

In the hopeless swamps of the not quite, the not yet, and
the not at all, do not let the hero in your soul perish
and leave only frustration for the life you deserved, but
never have been able to reach.

The world you desire can be won, it exists, it is real,
it is possible, it is yours.
-- Ayn Rand
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 10 Dec 2011 20:19:07 -0500, Bill wrote:

Larry, If you find yourself tired, and ouch'ed to death, you might enjoy
this A&C sketch:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q24mfUn9HFU

Oy, vay, you misunderestimate me. (Thank you, GWB!)

A&C = ouch.
Jim Carey = ouch.
3 Stooges = ouch.
Chris Rock = ouch.
Ben Stiller = ouch.

Old SNL skits = laugh.
Jeff "I keel you!" Dunham = laugh.
Redd Foxx = laugh.
George Carlin = laugh until tears.

Keep your Kostello, Kid.

--
Do not let your fire go out, spark by irreplacable spark.

In the hopeless swamps of the not quite, the not yet, and
the not at all, do not let the hero in your soul perish
and leave only frustration for the life you deserved, but
never have been able to reach.

The world you desire can be won, it exists, it is real,
it is possible, it is yours.
-- Ayn Rand

Posted to rec.woodworking

Larry Jaques wrote:

wrote:

[...]

'Course, it do appears to moi they yanked that stick in the head part of
your clip from Steven Martin, the famous hyperbowling banjo player. It
do indeed, don't it? Sparing his parablic hyperbolic hyperbowling head
in making the s(p)lit..all glory to God, Amen.

--
Do not let your fire go out, spark by irreplacable spark.

In the hopeless swamps of the not quite, the not yet, and
the not at all, do not let the hero in your soul perish
and leave only frustration for the life you deserved, but
never have been able to reach.

The world you desire can be won, it exists, it is real,
it is possible, it is yours.
-- Ayn Rand

Posted to rec.woodworking

Larry Jaques wrote:
On Sat, 10 Dec 2011 20:19:07 -0500, wrote:

Larry, If you find yourself tired, and ouch'ed to death, you might enjoy
this A&C sketch:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q24mfUn9HFU

Oy, vay, you misunderestimate me. (Thank you, GWB!)

A&C = ouch.
Jim Carey = ouch.
3 Stooges = ouch.
Chris Rock = ouch.
Ben Stiller = ouch.

Old SNL skits = laugh.
Jeff "I keel you!" Dunham = laugh.
Redd Foxx = laugh.
George Carlin = laugh until tears.

Keep your Kostello, Kid.

I mostly watch A&C with "yesterday's eyes", sort of like trying to
respect one's elders. I think they have plenty to teach.
On your list, I like Dunham the most--my wife does Peanut imitations!