Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Amana vs. Woodtek vs. Magnate router bits (1/8" double bead)

I need a double-bead router bit to match the mouldings around the panel
on some cabinite doors...

I found 3 different manufacturers on the web:

Amana $62.47 (with free shipping)
Woodtex $42 + $10 shipping
Magnate $21 + $10 shipping

Any experience with any of these brands to judge whether the price
differences make sense?

If I only need this to make a few doors with about 16 lineal feet of
molding will I be ok with the cheaper brands?
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Dec 6, 12:33*am, blueman wrote:
I need a double-bead router bit to match the mouldings around the panel
on some cabinite doors...

I found 3 different manufacturers on the web:

Amana $62.47 (with free shipping)
Woodtex $42 + $10 shipping
Magnate $21 + $10 shipping

Any experience with any of these brands to judge whether the price
differences make sense?

If I only need this to make a few doors with about 16 lineal feet of
molding will I be ok with the cheaper brands?

If Onsrud doesn't make it. and Royce doesn't... I buy Amana (insert
bits if required.) For straight cuts I go price. If a combo collection
1/2" goes, with coupons for 25 bits for 25 bucks.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 06 Dec 2011 00:33:52 -0500, blueman wrote:

If I only need this to make a few doors with about 16 lineal feet of
molding will I be ok with the cheaper brands?

I think that's the deciding factor. No sense paying a lot of money for a
bit for one time use. I think you'll be fine with the cheapest one.

BTW, did you look at MLCS? I've had good luck with their bits.

Posted to rec.woodworking

blueman wrote:

If I only need this to make a few doors with about 16 lineal feet of
molding will I be ok with the cheaper brands?

---------------------------------
The first time you have to spend 2-3 hours sanding out the burn marks
from a low cost bit that got dull after cutting less than 15-20 ft
may give you a whole different perspective on bit prices.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

Larry Blanchard wrote:

On Tue, 06 Dec 2011 00:33:52 -0500, blueman wrote:

If I only need this to make a few doors with about 16 lineal feet of
molding will I be ok with the cheaper brands?

I think that's the deciding factor. No sense paying a lot of money for a
bit for one time use. I think you'll be fine with the cheapest one.

BTW, did you look at MLCS? I've had good luck with their bits.

I second that!

--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"

Man. 2010.1 Spring
KDE4.4
2.6.33.5-desktop-2mnb

Posted to rec.woodworking

Larry Blanchard writes:

On Tue, 06 Dec 2011 00:33:52 -0500, blueman wrote:

If I only need this to make a few doors with about 16 lineal feet of
molding will I be ok with the cheaper brands?

I think that's the deciding factor. No sense paying a lot of money for a
bit for one time use. I think you'll be fine with the cheapest one.

BTW, did you look at MLCS? I've had good luck with their bits.

I have too but MLCS doesn't seem to have double or triple beading bits.

I ended up buying a triple beading bit for Rockler for $42 pre 20%-off
coupon. Using my router table, I can also get a double edge bead out of
it... so it sounded like a good deal. Plus they say 100% satisfaction
guaranteed so if it doesn't work, I just have to take it back to the
local store...
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Dec 7, 12:55*am, blueman wrote:
Larry Blanchard writes:
On Tue, 06 Dec 2011 00:33:52 -0500, blueman wrote:

If I only need this to make a few doors with about 16 lineal feet of
molding will I be ok with the cheaper brands?

I think that's the deciding factor. *No sense paying a lot of money for a
bit for one time use. *I think you'll be fine with the cheapest one.

BTW, did you look at MLCS? *I've had good luck with their bits.

I have too but MLCS doesn't seem to have double or triple beading bits.

I ended up buying a triple beading bit for Rockler for $42 pre 20%-off
coupon. Using my router table, I can also get a double edge bead out of
it... so it sounded like a good deal. Plus they say 100% satisfaction
guaranteed so if it doesn't work, I just have to take it back to the
local store...

Lee Valley has excellent bits.