Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Gluing plywood back of cabinet...

Is there any problem with gluing 1/4" birch plywood back to the 3/4"
birch plywood frame?

i.e., can I assume that plywood is stable enough not to worry about cross
grain dimensional instability etc.
Posted to rec.woodworking

blueman wrote:
Is there any problem with gluing 1/4" birch plywood back to the 3/4"
birch plywood frame?

i.e., can I assume that plywood is stable enough not to worry about
cross grain dimensional instability etc.

Plywood is cross grained by definition. It creates stability.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/5/2011 10:52 PM, blueman wrote:
Is there any problem with gluing 1/4" birch plywood back to the 3/4"
birch plywood frame?

i.e., can I assume that plywood is stable enough not to worry about cross
grain dimensional instability etc.

No problem ...

--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/5/2011 10:52 PM, blueman wrote:
Is there any problem with gluing 1/4" birch plywood back to the 3/4"
birch plywood frame?

i.e., can I assume that plywood is stable enough not to worry about cross
grain dimensional instability etc.

That will work and you can do it to a solid wood frame also however it
is customary to use a mechanical fastener. Often a hole is added to run
an electrical cord through for what ever application and you may or may
not want to make that hole after the fact. Basically mechanical
fasteners make for easier replacement of thin back panels that may be
damaged or that you might want to modify in the future.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Dec 5, 11:52*pm, blueman wrote:
Is there any problem with gluing 1/4" birch plywood back to the 3/4"
birch plywood frame?

i.e., can I assume that plywood is stable enough not to worry about cross
grain dimensional instability etc.

I use wood screws so that you can pop the backs off and cut out for
outlets, plumbing, etc. No need for glue. Screws make a good strong
cabinet rigid.

RP

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Dec 5, 11:52*pm, blueman wrote:
Is there any problem with gluing 1/4" birch plywood back to the 3/4"
birch plywood frame?

i.e., can I assume that plywood is stable enough not to worry about cross
grain dimensional instability etc.

None, so long as you clean up all of the glue squeezeout,
which can screw up your finish. Inside corners are the
hardest part to clean up, and the inside of a cabinet has
plenty of them. 1" brads are up to the task, and you can
finish the cab and back before putting them together.