Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Performax 16/32

The feed belt broke on my 16/32 sander second time So I'm sure
everyone familiar with this sander will agree feed belt is the weak
link. So I just ordered the upgraded rubber feed belt, the
information I can’t find is do you use the tracking blocks or not? I
found one review the poster said the belt worked better without the
tracking blocks. So anyone that’s installed the upgraded feed belt
have an opinion from your experience?
Posted to rec.woodworking

Sac Dave wrote:
The feed belt broke on my 16/32 sander second time So I'm sure
everyone familiar with this sander will agree feed belt is the weak
link. So I just ordered the upgraded rubber feed belt, the
information I can’t find is do you use the tracking blocks or not? I
found one review the poster said the belt worked better without the
tracking blocks. So anyone that’s installed the upgraded feed belt
have an opinion from your experience?

My 16/32 is about 15 years old. I am on my second feed belt; first one was
soon frayed because there *were* no tracking blocks then.

So, I can't directly answer your question but I sure wouldn't want to use
any belt without tracking blocks.

If your belts are breaking could it be from too much tension?

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/19/2011 10:10 AM, Sac Dave wrote:
The feed belt broke on my 16/32 sander second time So I'm sure
everyone familiar with this sander will agree feed belt is the weak
link. So I just ordered the upgraded rubber feed belt, the
information I can’t find is do you use the tracking blocks or not? I
found one review the poster said the belt worked better without the
tracking blocks. So anyone that’s installed the upgraded feed belt
have an opinion from your experience?

I have the 22/44 and I think the guide blocks were later used to keep
the conical belt on track, obviously. Had the belts been the same
diameter on both sides the guides probably would not have been needed.

So if the new belt is rubber thee probably will be no need for those blocks.

FWIW I had tracking problems until the belt broke in but Performax sent
me a replacement belt any way. During the conversation the tech
indicated that the guide blocks were actually not needed at all if
everything was working correctly. IMHO they were a stop gap measure to
compensate for the lack of QC in the conveyor belts.

Could you steer me towards the upgrade information or site.

Thanks.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Nov 19, 12:07*pm, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote:
[...]

This is about as much information that I could find.
http://www.accuramachinetools.com/re...c-1632-sa.html
I did notice a couple places that sold the Rubber type said the
sandpaper ones were no longer available, but I also found the old
style about $40 less.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Sac Dave wrote:

I did notice a couple places that sold the Rubber type said the
sandpaper ones were no longer available, but I also found the old
style about $40 less.

Any place that makes belts will be glad to make you one. And usually at
about half the $50 "official" price. Here's one...
http://www.80grit.com/FeedBeltPerfor...rP1632FeedBelt

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 19 Nov 2011 09:10:11 -0700, Sac Dave wrote
(in article
):

The feed belt broke on my 16/32 sander second time So I'm sure
everyone familiar with this sander will agree feed belt is the weak
link. So I just ordered the upgraded rubber feed belt, the
information I can’t find is do you use the tracking blocks or not? I
found one review the poster said the belt worked better without the
tracking blocks. So anyone that’s installed the upgraded feed belt
have an opinion from your experience?

I purchased this belt:
http://www.amazon.com/Replacement-co...rformax-Ryobi-
sanders/dp/B000HTM4WG/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1321804088&sr=8-4
I ended up _not_ using the guides since they seemed unnecessary. The belt
slips more than the gritted belt, but doesn't have that bump at the seam
which transfers through to the wood at times.

-Bruce

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/19/2011 9:10 AM, Sac Dave wrote:
The feed belt broke on my 16/32 sander second time So I'm sure
everyone familiar with this sander will agree feed belt is the weak
link. So I just ordered the upgraded rubber feed belt, the
information I can’t find is do you use the tracking blocks or not? I
found one review the poster said the belt worked better without the
tracking blocks. So anyone that’s installed the upgraded feed belt
have an opinion from your experience?

In my experience, if you own a Performax 16/32 and you're a hobbiest
rather than a professional, you suck.
Posted to rec.woodworking
Roy Roy is offline

On Sat, 19 Nov 2011 08:10:11 -0800 (PST), Sac Dave
wrote:

The feed belt broke on my 16/32 sander second time...

So, about the time B.A.D. posted the above note, SWMBO and I were at an estate
sale buying a Performax 16/32. In the mad frenzy at the time we forgot to get
the Tuftool that came with it. To be honest, it wasn't until we got home and
read the manual that we even knew the Tuftool existed.

SWMBO identified it as she had grabbed it to threaten one clod who had reached,
for the third time, for the box she carried that held our planned purchases,
including a never used LN dovetail saw. Apparently the Tuftool could excel as a
device to twist and wind up certain parts of the male anatomy in preparation of
her "planting a foot in your stomach and ripping your balls off if you come near
me again" as she loudly, but delicately, phrased it.

Well, it is obvious to me the tool is useful, but the question I wanted to ask
the group is whether I need to get one to use on the Performax sander we bought?
I hope to be able to pick up the one that should have come with the sander, but
if I can't, should I buy one anyway. Anybody use the tool for its intended
purpose?

Thanks,
Roy

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

I have a 16-32. I don't have a Tuftool (they didn't exist when I bought the
sander). I have always just used my right middle finger to do what it does;
doing so is a PITA because I have some arthritis. Buy the tool.

PS: life would have beed easier if they had set the thing up to wind right
to left instead of left to right.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

i have the 22-44. The tuftool is handy, but I've also used my fingers successfully.

scott
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Nov 19, 8:10*am, Sac Dave wrote:
The feed belt broke on my 16/32 sander second time So I'm sure
everyone familiar with this sander will agree feed belt is the weak
link. So I just ordered the upgraded rubber feed belt, the
information I can’t find is do you use the tracking blocks or not? *I
found one review the poster said the belt worked better *without the
tracking blocks. So anyone that’s installed the upgraded feed belt
have an opinion from your experience?

I installed the new belt, more like more like nylon than rubber (more
like rubber roofing) left the guide blocks off seems to track just
fine. I do notice your work piece slips kind of disappointed in that
fact, hopefully some of the slickness will wear off then it might work
better. Looking at the new belt I think it will last longer.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Nov 20, 4:29*am, "dadiOH" wrote:
Sac Dave wrote:
I did notice a couple places that sold the Rubber type said the
sandpaper ones were no longer available, but I also found the old
style about $40 less.

Any place that makes belts will be glad to make you one. *And usually at
about half the $50 "official" price. *Here's one...http://www.80grit.com/FeedBeltPerfor...rP1632FeedBelt

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...
Get it athttp://mysite.verizon.net/xico

I saw that web site the price $24.40 just seemed to low made me
wonder about the quality. So haw was the belt in your opinion ? For
the price I might just buy one the slipping in new rubber belt is
going to become an irritation quick.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Sac Dave wrote:
On Nov 20, 4:29 am, "dadiOH" wrote:
Sac Dave wrote:
I did notice a couple places that sold the Rubber type said the
sandpaper ones were no longer available, but I also found the old
style about $40 less.

Any place that makes belts will be glad to make you one. And usually
at
about half the $50 "official" price. Here's
one...http://www.80grit.com/FeedBeltPerfor...rP1632FeedBelt

I saw that web site the price $24.40 just seemed to low made me
wonder about the quality. So haw was the belt in your opinion ? For
the price I might just buy one the slipping in new rubber belt is
going to become an irritation quick.

I can't speak as to the quality because I've never had one. I've only had
two belts, both "official". The first was chewed up pretty rapidly because
Peformax didn't have the accessory tracking gizmos at the time...belt would
wander and the edge would get chewed up before I noticed. The second belt
is at least 10 years old and still good. Next time I need a belt I'll be
getting a non-official one...$50 is just waaaaay too much for a belt. So is
$24.40 IMO, YMMV, but it is better than $50.

Here's another place that will make any size belt. Never had a transport
belt from them but have purchased numerous other things, all fine.
https://www.econabrasives.com/products.php

--

dadiOH

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Performax 16/32 adjustment? Toller Woodworking 1 November 24th 05 02:08 AM
Any reason I shouldn't get a Performax 22-44? David Woodworking 33 November 12th 05 02:30 AM
Performax Lequist Woodworking 13 October 29th 04 03:29 AM
16-32 performax Sacramento Dave Woodworking 15 October 22nd 04 04:18 AM
Performax 22-44 PLUS Mark Bronkalla Woodworking 5 October 20th 03 11:44 PM