Posted to rec.woodworking

Default HVLP question

I purchased a cheap HVLP gun at HF to do some spraying. The question I
have is about pressure. the manual states to run it about 40psi, and
never run it higher than that. i have a small regulator at the gun, and
one at the compressor end. when i set the compressor regulator at 45, i
get about 40 at the gun (i have to use about 75' of 3/8" hose to get
where i need to spray as the compressor is a large tank in the
garashop). however, when i start spraying, it drops down to the 20 psi
range whilst i'm spraying, and going back up when i release the trigger.

when i crank the pressure up at the compressor regulator, the pressure
then, of course, goes up at the gun. when i start spraying, the pressure
drops pretty quickly, then rises back up when stopping spraying.

this is my first experience with an hvlp, so is this normal? is the
20psi during spraying good enough? it seems to be spraying a pretty fine
mist at 20psi when i did my testing with plain water.

what i'm spraying is mostly water anyway, so it shouldn't be too much
different viscosity.

thanks,
charlie
Posted to rec.woodworking

what i'm spraying is mostly water anyway, so it shouldn't be too much
different viscosity.

thanks,
charlie

My HVLP system has a turbo fan but I assume you are using straight
pressure HLVP conversion type gun. When I use a regular spray gun and
with my HVLP which uses compressor and turbo fan, I leave the
compressor at 110 as always and have a regulator on the gun. I don't
watch the exact setting on the gaugae I go by how it is spraying but I
think I usually run around 25-30 at the gun. I don't notice a drop.

If you are using a 1/4 or 3/8 hose you might want to grab a 1/2 hose
to add volume. At that distance it can make a difference.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 16 Nov 2011 11:00:20 -0700, chaniarts wrote:

[...]

Use a much larger hose for the first 60 feet.
basilisk
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Nov 16, 12:00*pm, chaniarts wrote:

however, when i start spraying, it drops down to the 20 psi
range whilst i'm spraying, and going back up when i release the trigger.

when i crank the pressure up at the compressor regulator, the pressure
then, of course, goes up at the gun. when i start spraying, the pressure
drops pretty quickly, then rises back up when stopping spraying.

Keep the pressure up at the compressor, just about at its limit. You
are going about it correctly by controlling the output to the gun with
a separate regulator at the gun handle. More compression behind the
gun will assure you that your compressor will not cycle as often as
low pressure.

I have a couple of those HF HVLP guns and they are surprisingly good.
I don't know your model (not that it would matter) but I usually find
the sweet spot for spraying at about 12 - 18 pounds at the gun. If
you are shooting at 40psi to the gun, no doubt you are draining your
compressor quickly. Remember, High Velocity, LOW Pressure.

If you can't get your material out at lower pressures, thin it out
more. When I was learning to shoot with a HVLP gun powered by a
compressor, I set it up like a high pressure gun. My compressor
couldn't keep up, I had lots of overspray and drift, and didn't see
any savings in material. After really woodshedding that gun and
getting some excellent advice, I got it to where I want it.

Remember, and HVLP setup will not atomize your finish material the way
an old fashioned high pressure spray will. It isn't designed to work
that way, hence, it simply won't.

this is my first experience with an hvlp, so is this normal? is the
20psi during spraying good enough? it seems to be spraying a pretty fine
mist at 20psi when i did my testing with plain water.

what i'm spraying is mostly water anyway, so it shouldn't be too much
different viscosity.

Shooting water shouldn't be a trick for any gun/compressor at any
pressure. Keep the pressure low, and adjust your feed and pressure as
needed to keep the water flowing.

Robert
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/16/2011 12:36 PM, wrote:
On Nov 16, 12:00 pm, wrote:

however, when i start spraying, it drops down to the 20 psi
range whilst i'm spraying, and going back up when i release the trigger.

when i crank the pressure up at the compressor regulator, the pressure
then, of course, goes up at the gun. when i start spraying, the pressure
drops pretty quickly, then rises back up when stopping spraying.

Keep the pressure up at the compressor, just about at its limit. You
are going about it correctly by controlling the output to the gun with
a separate regulator at the gun handle. More compression behind the
gun will assure you that your compressor will not cycle as often as
low pressure.

it's usually used for sandblasting, so is a large tank and relatively
large pump. i ran a test for about 15 minutes with plain water, and it
never kicked on to refill. the tank fills to 125psi but the regulator
there is normally set to 75 for blasting.

I have a couple of those HF HVLP guns and they are surprisingly good.
I don't know your model (not that it would matter) but I usually find
the sweet spot for spraying at about 12 - 18 pounds at the gun. If
you are shooting at 40psi to the gun, no doubt you are draining your
compressor quickly. Remember, High Velocity, LOW Pressure.

this is the one i picked up
http://www.harborfreight.com/professional-automotive-hvlp-spray-gun-kit-94572.html

If you can't get your material out at lower pressures, thin it out
more. When I was learning to shoot with a HVLP gun powered by a
compressor, I set it up like a high pressure gun. My compressor
couldn't keep up, I had lots of overspray and drift, and didn't see
any savings in material. After really woodshedding that gun and
getting some excellent advice, I got it to where I want it.

it's probably 98% water, so i doubt that it can be thinned more. the
product is the liquid that is in Scotchguard rattle cans purchased in
bulk. i'm spraying a lot of furniture.

Remember, and HVLP setup will not atomize your finish material the way
an old fashioned high pressure spray will. It isn't designed to work
that way, hence, it simply won't.

this is my first experience with an hvlp, so is this normal? is the
20psi during spraying good enough? it seems to be spraying a pretty fine
mist at 20psi when i did my testing with plain water.

what i'm spraying is mostly water anyway, so it shouldn't be too much
different viscosity.

Shooting water shouldn't be a trick for any gun/compressor at any
pressure. Keep the pressure low, and adjust your feed and pressure as
needed to keep the water flowing.

Robert

thanks for the help all.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Nov 17, 10:26*am, "Mike Marlow"
wrote:
chaniarts wrote:
On 11/16/2011 12:36 PM, wrote:

I have a couple of those HF HVLP guns and they are surprisingly good.
I don't know your model (not that it would matter) but I usually find
the sweet spot for spraying at about 12 - 18 pounds at the gun. *If
you are shooting at 40psi to the gun, no doubt you are draining your
compressor quickly. *Remember, High Velocity, LOW Pressure.

this is the one i picked up
http://www.harborfreight.com/professional-automotive-hvlp-spray-gun-k....

I have recommended a lot of Harbor Freight guns to people over the years,
and some of their models are very good guns - especially for the price.
That said - I would not consider the model this link points to, to be and
HVLP gun. *At 35-40 psi, this gun is in the league of the old siphon guns.
HVLP should be running under 20 psi. *Depending on what I'm shooting in my
Devilibiss HVLP, I'm anywhere between 13 psi and 23 psi. *You can't expect
to get ~10 psi at the cap if the input pressure gets too high. *The guns are
not magic, and can only do so much in reducing the delivery pressure. *At a
point, you're not really delivering HVLP anymore. *Compare the material
useage and the overspray with that of an old siphon gun, and I'll bet you
don't see a lot of difference.

--

-Mike-

Even if the job isn't very big, I'm a pot-fed kinda fella. (PUT those
wisecracks away!!LOL) So easy to adjust, sprays upside down. You can
get the whole shebang for 60 bucks for a 2 litre.
The cleaning is only a bit more work, and just the reduced fatigue in
the spray arm alone is worth it. Currently, I own a couple of HVLP
guns, a 2 litre pot and a 5qt floor pot. Nice lightweight hoses and a
gravity fed HVLP with a 2 mil tip for thick stuff like Jay Cooke
primer.
I can kick my ass for selling my Iwata gun, but it has since been
improved upon, but a bit spendy. http://www.danielsmith.com/Item--i-155-030-005
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 17 Nov 2011 08:11:28 -0800 (PST), Robatoy
wrote:

Even if the job isn't very big, I'm a pot-fed kinda fella. (PUT those
wisecracks away!!LOL)

Too easy!

So easy to adjust, sprays upside down. You can

How often do you find yourself hanging by your ankles to shoot a bit
of paint, sir? Inquiring minds, y'know...

get the whole shebang for 60 bucks for a 2 litre.
The cleaning is only a bit more work, and just the reduced fatigue in
the spray arm alone is worth it. Currently, I own a couple of HVLP
guns, a 2 litre pot and a 5qt floor pot. Nice lightweight hoses and a
gravity fed HVLP with a 2 mil tip for thick stuff like Jay Cooke
primer.

What do you use your guns for, Toy?

I can kick my ass for selling my Iwata gun, but it has since been
improved upon, but a bit spendy. http://www.danielsmith.com/Item--i-155-030-005

http://www.chicagoairbrushsupply.com/iwrg3mispgun.html Save $75 if
you haven't already bought one.

--
Most powerful is he who has himself in his own power.
-- Seneca
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Even if the job isn't very big, I'm a pot-fed kinda fella. (PUT those
wisecracks away!!LOL)

Too easy! *

So easy to adjust, sprays upside down. You can

How often do you find yourself hanging by your ankles to shoot a bit
of paint, sir? *Inquiring minds, y'know...

get the whole shebang for 60 bucks for a 2 litre.
The cleaning is only a bit more work, and just the reduced fatigue in
the spray arm alone is worth it. Currently, I own a couple of HVLP
guns, a 2 litre pot and a 5qt floor pot. Nice lightweight hoses and a
gravity fed HVLP with a 2 mil tip for thick stuff like Jay Cooke
primer.

What do you use your guns for, Toy?

I can kick my ass for selling my Iwata gun, but it has since been
improved upon, but a bit spendy.http://www.danielsmith.com/Item--i-155-030-005

http://www.chicagoairbrushsupply.com...pgun.html*Save $75 if
you haven't already bought one.

nice CATCH!!! Thankee kindly, Sir! I will order.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

I was so thrilled with keeping 75 smackereoonies in my pockets that I
forgot to answer your question.

I do not like brushing paint. I do so much better spraying and signs
are perfect candidates for spraying primers, base coats, and other
trickery.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Even if the job isn't very big, I'm a pot-fed kinda fella. (PUT those
wisecracks away!!LOL)

Too easy! *

So easy to adjust, sprays upside down. You can

How often do you find yourself hanging by your ankles to shoot a bit
of paint, sir? *Inquiring minds, y'know...

get the whole shebang for 60 bucks for a 2 litre.
The cleaning is only a bit more work, and just the reduced fatigue in
the spray arm alone is worth it. Currently, I own a couple of HVLP
guns, a 2 litre pot and a 5qt floor pot. Nice lightweight hoses and a
gravity fed HVLP with a 2 mil tip for thick stuff like Jay Cooke
primer.

What do you use your guns for, Toy?

Hiding your use, eh?

I can kick my ass for selling my Iwata gun, but it has since been
improved upon, but a bit spendy.http://www.danielsmith.com/Item--i-155-030-005

http://www.chicagoairbrushsupply.com...pgun.html*Save $75 if
you haven't already bought one.

nice CATCH!!! Thankee kindly, Sir! I will order.

Jewelcome.

--
Most powerful is he who has himself in his own power.
-- Seneca
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

What kind of stuff do I spray? A lot of Jay Cooke primer in my signs,
a lot of One-shot enamel in fades and back-grounds on those signs, the
odd piece of furniture, a quick refinish for an old couple's
kitchen... The rims on my kids car.... etc...
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

What do you use your guns for, Toy?

What kind of stuff do I spray? A lot of Jay Cooke primer in my signs,
a lot of One-shot enamel in fades and back-grounds on those signs, the
odd piece of furniture, a quick refinish for an old couple's
kitchen... The rims on my kids car.... etc...

"Stuff", got it. Thanks.

http://www.haradhesive.com/jay_cooke.html Looks like good stuff.
Expensive?

--
Most powerful is he who has himself in his own power.
-- Seneca
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
What do you use your guns for, Toy?

What kind of stuff do I spray? A lot of Jay Cooke primer in my signs,
a lot of One-shot enamel in fades and back-grounds on those signs, the
odd piece of furniture, a quick refinish for an old couple's
kitchen... The rims on my kids car.... etc...

"Stuff", got it. *Thanks.

http://www.haradhesive.com/jay_cooke.html*Looks like good stuff.
Expensive?

--
Most powerful is he who has himself in his own power.
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *-- Seneca

The bit of extra money per gallon, gets reimbursed by the serious
build-up. I'll look at my invoices, around mid- 30$
http://www.raycosignsupply.com/852
Posted to rec.woodworking

Robatoy wrote:

The bit of extra money per gallon, gets reimbursed by the serious
build-up. I'll look at my invoices, around mid- 30$
http://www.raycosignsupply.com/852

Do you have any problems with shrinkage?

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
What do you use your guns for, Toy?

What kind of stuff do I spray? A lot of Jay Cooke primer in my signs,
a lot of One-shot enamel in fades and back-grounds on those signs, the
odd piece of furniture, a quick refinish for an old couple's
kitchen... The rims on my kids car.... etc...

"Stuff", got it. *Thanks.

http://www.haradhesive.com/jay_cooke.html*Looks like good stuff.
Expensive?

The bit of extra money per gallon, gets reimbursed by the serious
build-up. I'll look at my invoices, around mid- 30$
http://www.raycosignsupply.com/852

Not bad, $23.25/gal. One thing you need for an outdoor sign is a
paint which will handle the temp extremes without cracking or flaking
for a long while.

--
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable
one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore,
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Nov 19, 4:58*pm, "Mike Marlow"
wrote:
Robatoy wrote:
The bit of extra money per gallon, gets reimbursed by the serious
build-up. I'll look at my invoices, around mid- 30$
http://www.raycosignsupply.com/852

Do you have any problems with shrinkage?

Only when I swim in cold water.
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
Come ON! Somebody had to say that.. Now. re paint...
No problem with shrinkage.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
[...]

There are signs around here that survived Banana/Blizzard weather for
20 years. It's stuff designed for the job.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Robatoy wrote:
On Nov 19, 4:58 pm, "Mike Marlow"

Do you have any problems with shrinkage?

Only when I swim in cold water.
.
.
Come ON! Somebody had to say that.. Now. re paint...
No problem with shrinkage.

Hell I have that shrinkage problem without the damned cold water...

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

Robatoy wrote:

Only when I swim in cold water.

-----------------------------
Nuther reason I came to SoCal.

"Throw another log on the fire,
Hustle up another cup of tea."

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 19 Nov 2011 17:27:41 -0800 (PST), Robatoy
wrote:

On Nov 19, 4:58*pm, "Mike Marlow"
wrote:
Robatoy wrote:
The bit of extra money per gallon, gets reimbursed by the serious
build-up. I'll look at my invoices, around mid- 30$
http://www.raycosignsupply.com/852

Do you have any problems with shrinkage?

Only when I swim in cold water.
.
.
.
Come ON! Somebody had to say that..

"Boy? Who you callin' boy? You musta seen me after a cold showah."

Now. re paint...No problem with shrinkage.

I wouldn't think so. Is that an acrylic? I forgot to read the MSDS.