Randy Chapman

Default What to do with wainscoting and low windows?

Folks,

Long-term planning here. I'm looking at my dining room, which has a nice
new "antique pine" laminate flooring, needing trim, new windows in need of
trim (bare sheetrock, and just studs where one was taken out), etc, and LOML
and I think that wainscoting (frame and raised panel style), chair rail and
crown are the order of the day to fix it (after a complete re-sheetrock so I
can insulate the walls, replace crappy wiring, blahblah).

I'm having one problem figuring this out, however. The windows are low --
28" off the floor. While height rules for chair rail and wainscoting are
flexible, and the room is short (7'8" or so), that's too low for me. Just
drawing on the wall confirms this. What I've not been able to find so far
is a good reference -- eg, decent pictures or drawings -- showing the proper
continuation of window molding and wainscoting profiles where it goes under
the window.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!
--randy

Leon

In our master bathroom I ran the wainscotings under against the bottom of
the window sill and then added the typical lower window molding on top of
the wainscoting and against the bottom of the window sill. Is that what you
are asking about?

On Wed, 07 Jul 2004 05:06:24 GMT, "Randy Chapman"
wrote:

[...]

chair rail butts into window casing. wainscott fills in.
Agki Strodon

"Randy Chapman" wrote in message

[...]

Not sure I understand. Are you asking what you should do to get a nice
abutment of the wainscoting with the window apron below the stool? I didn't
bother. I removed the apron and the trim (I hated it so I replaced it
completely with molding I custom made), ran the wainscot 1/4" below the
stool, and then replaced the trim and apron. Making the new molding wasn't
too hard but I had to leave a lip the width of the wainscot (it was actually
paneling above 30") so that when I put it back the panel edge was covered
and the molding edge made a nice joint with the window frame.

Agkistrodon

Sam Schmenk

"Leon" wrote in message om...
In our master bathroom I ran the wainscotings under against the bottom of
the window sill and then added the typical lower window molding on top of
the wainscoting and against the bottom of the window sill. Is that what you
are asking about?

Each job is different. Did something similar to this. I found
planing (using a jointer) the lower window moulding down a bit kept it
from looking "protruding". Each job is different. Most likely you
will need to rabbet some trim to get all pieces to overlap properly.

Bottom line: wainscoting first, trim after.

Randy Chapman

"Agki Strodon" wrote in message
ink.net...

[...]

My problem is that the raised panels in the wainscoting will themselves be
taller than the bottom of the window, so I cannot continue the same pattern
under the windows as the rest of the wall. If I measure and mark correctly,
I'll get a raised panel that ends right before the window, and might just
use wider/shorter panels under... that might just do it. I'd like to see
pics/drawings of how people have done this, though, to get an idea of if
it's right.

thanks!
--randy

Kazoo

My problem is that the raised panels in the wainscoting will themselves be
taller than the bottom of the window, so I cannot continue the same pattern
under the windows as the rest of the wall. If I measure and mark correctly,
I'll get a raised panel that ends right before the window, and might just
use wider/shorter panels under... that might just do it. I'd like to see
pics/drawings of how people have done this, though, to get an idea of if
it's right.

randy, i would say that is the preferred look of wainscot. alot of old
houses have just that look, so if you center a panel in line with the
window itself, it'll look as though it was meant to be there. you just
need the stile to come down on either side of where the casing will be.

here is some bad ascii art for ya, complete with casing stool, an apron
is optional with wainscot, but if it covers up a gap use it. i would
replace any of the colonial casing with something more stout to give it
amore convincing look. but don't take my word for it, go to an old house
and see how "they" did it.

_____
| |
| |

--
"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend: and inside a dog,
it's too dark to read."