Kazoo

Default What to do with wainscoting and low windows?

My problem is that the raised panels in the wainscoting will themselves be
taller than the bottom of the window, so I cannot continue the same pattern
under the windows as the rest of the wall. If I measure and mark correctly,
I'll get a raised panel that ends right before the window, and might just
use wider/shorter panels under... that might just do it. I'd like to see
pics/drawings of how people have done this, though, to get an idea of if
it's right.

randy, i would say that is the preferred look of wainscot. alot of old
houses have just that look, so if you center a panel in line with the
window itself, it'll look as though it was meant to be there. you just
need the stile to come down on either side of where the casing will be.

here is some bad ascii art for ya, complete with casing stool, an apron
is optional with wainscot, but if it covers up a gap use it. i would
replace any of the colonial casing with something more stout to give it
amore convincing look. but don't take my word for it, go to an old house
and see how "they" did it.

_____
| |
| |

--
"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend: and inside a dog,
it's too dark to read."