Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Hinge allignment...

Almost forgot the reason I fired up the 'Puter. When I install blind
hinges, I have a tough time getting the alignment perfect. You can
get one side installed, but how do you mark/drill the other side so
that with the door closed the fit is "just right"? Is there a tool
that you can use to mark the 2nd side kinda like the set of pins
Rockler sells to allign wooden pegs between two boards? Maybe
something like this?????

--- ----Double sided sharp points to mark the wood
I ----Thin "handle" to hold between the hinge when
marking

To use, place between the hinge leafs for location, tap/pound the
door to mark the holes.

Any help or comments will be appreciated!

Rich.....

Posted to rec.woodworking

When I install blind hinges, I have a tough time getting the alignment perfect. You can
get one side installed, but how do you mark/drill the other side so
that with the door closed the fit is "just right"?

Welcome to the club. I have a small shop so I make small things, lots
of boxes. I made a run of three tea chests and spent more time on the
damn mortised hinges than on the boxes.

I've seen a couple videos at the FWW website; it's definitely worth
the $15/yr to be an online member. Also in the paper mag.

I'll see if I can scrape up some references.

-Zz
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10/25/2011 6:42 PM, Zz Yzx wrote:
When I install blind hinges, I have a tough time getting the alignment perfect. You can
get one side installed, but how do you mark/drill the other side so
that with the door closed the fit is "just right"?

Welcome to the club. I have a small shop so I make small things, lots
of boxes. I made a run of three tea chests and spent more time on the
damn mortised hinges than on the boxes.

I've seen a couple videos at the FWW website; it's definitely worth
the $15/yr to be an online member. Also in the paper mag.

I'll see if I can scrape up some references.

-Zz

Best I can offer is to set up to do it with the door open.

Try the edge of the table - open 90 degrees - and snug against the edge.
(special tools come outta that...)

Posted to rec.woodworking

rich wrote:
Almost forgot the reason I fired up the 'Puter. When I install blind
hinges, I have a tough time getting the alignment perfect. You can
get one side installed, but how do you mark/drill the other side so
that with the door closed the fit is "just right"? Is there a tool
that you can use to mark the 2nd side kinda like the set of pins
Rockler sells to allign wooden pegs between two boards? Maybe
something like this?????

That can be a bear, can't it?

What I do is one of two things...

1. Use a piece of scrap wood the same length as the interior vertical
opening to lay out desired mortice positions then transfer those markings to
the door and stile. If you want to be fancy, you can make a template.

2. a) Cut the stile mortice & install hinge

b) Open hinge 90 degrees

c) Rest door in 90 degree open position on cabinet bottom, shimming
so bottom and top spacing is as desired

d) Mark hinge position on door face

e) Transfer marks to door edge and cut mortice

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Oct 25, 6:59*pm, rich wrote:
Almost forgot the reason I fired up the 'Puter. *When I install blind
hinges, I have a tough time getting the alignment perfect. *You can
get one side installed, but how do you mark/drill the other side so
that with the door closed the fit is "just right"? *Is there a tool
that you can use to mark the 2nd side kinda like the set of pins
Rockler sells to allign wooden pegs between two boards? *Maybe
something like this?????

* * * * * * I
* * * * *--- * * * ----Double sided sharp points to mark the wood
* * * * * * I
* * * * * * I
* * * * * * I * * * ----Thin "handle" to hold between the hinge when
marking

* * *To use, place between the hinge leafs for location, tap/pound the
door to mark the holes.

Any help or comments will be appreciated!

Rich.....

Put an appropiate size screw in a drill press (upside down), cut the
head off with a metal file, it should be coned shaped. Install the
hinge on the door,then Insert the cone shaped screw head in a hole you
want to mark, close the hinge then align the door and press to make a
mark where the screw will go.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"rich" wrote in message
Almost forgot the reason I fired up the 'Puter. When I install blind
hinges, I have a tough time getting the alignment perfect. You can
get one side installed, but how do you mark/drill the other side so
that with the door closed the fit is "just right"? Is there a tool
that you can use to mark the 2nd side kinda like the set of pins
Rockler sells to allign wooden pegs between two boards? Maybe
something like this?????

--- ----Double sided sharp points to mark the wood
I ----Thin "handle" to hold between the hinge when
marking

To use, place between the hinge leafs for location, tap/pound the
door to mark the holes.

Any help or comments will be appreciated!

Rich.....

Attach one side of the hinge then use double sided tape or hot
glue to temporarily hold the remaining side after you have aligned
the door and pushed it into place. Carefully open the door and
mark the screw holes.
Art

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 25 Oct 2011 15:59:01 -0700 (PDT), rich
wrote:

When I install blind hinges, I have a tough time getting the alignment perfect. You can
get one side installed, but how do you mark/drill the other side so
that with the door closed the fit is "just right"?

http://www.finewoodworking.com/item/...inges/page/all
http://www.finewoodworking.com/subsc....aspx?id=32056
http://www.finewoodworking.com/Skill....aspx?id=32815
http://www.finewoodworking.com/Skill....aspx?id=32815

You might need to be a member to access some of these. Some are just
pdf's of the magazine article.

-Zz