Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Need a Paint Sprayer...

Hi All,
It's woodworking time again. Making some smaller bathroom free
standing cabinets, and SWMBO wants Gloss White rather than the usual
stain and wipe on oil stuff. So I need a sprayer. Ace has a
HomeRight Pro 5.5 that seems like it will work. And within the
budget.

Will this work for smaller projects? I won't use it for doing a house
or deck, or a car. I will probably spray oil based stuff, varnish,
urethane, and some Glossy White paint as well.

Any comments will be most welcome!!!

Rich.....
Posted to rec.woodworking

In article 0f3e2d2f-1e17-4ce9-933f-3070b7d97181
@q35g2000prh.googlegroups.com, says...

Hi All,
It's woodworking time again. Making some smaller bathroom free
standing cabinets, and SWMBO wants Gloss White rather than the usual
stain and wipe on oil stuff. So I need a sprayer. Ace has a
HomeRight Pro 5.5 that seems like it will work. And within the
budget.

Will this work for smaller projects? I won't use it for doing a house
or deck, or a car. I will probably spray oil based stuff, varnish,
urethane, and some Glossy White paint as well.

Any comments will be most welcome!!!

Just use rattle cans and you'll get about as good a finish. Airless is
fine for painting houses, not so good for cabinetry.

This jobbie here
http://www.harborfreight.com/high-volume-low-pressure-
spray-gun-kit-44677.html actually works pretty well. Bit lightweight
for latex but does fine with oil, varnish, and urethane.

Of course the right way to do it is to get a compressor and a proper
spray gun with the right tip for whatever you're going to spray, but
that may be more bucks than you want to spend.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 25 Oct 2011 15:48:08 -0700 (PDT), rich
wrote:

Hi All,
It's woodworking time again. Making some smaller bathroom free
standing cabinets, and SWMBO wants Gloss White rather than the usual
stain and wipe on oil stuff. So I need a sprayer. Ace has a
HomeRight Pro 5.5 that seems like it will work. And within the
budget.

I just used my little Graco (crappy 30 y/o electric spinner model) on
a fence yesterday. They work OK, but I wouldn't buy another one. I
had to thin and use Floetrol in it to get it to work better, and they
drip enough to be messy.

Will this work for smaller projects? I won't use it for doing a house
or deck, or a car. I will probably spray oil based stuff, varnish,
urethane, and some Glossy White paint as well.

Save some money. HF has one for $19 on sale right now.
http://goo.gl/EYRst

Or an HVLP for $99: http://goo.gl/Suluu This or a much nicer gun,
the Earlex 5000. (Tell 'em, Swingy.) http://goo.gl/L7Y4e

--
Learning to ignore things is one of the great paths to inner peace.
-- Robert J. Sawyer
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10/25/2011 5:48 PM, rich wrote:
Hi All,
It's woodworking time again. Making some smaller bathroom free
standing cabinets, and SWMBO wants Gloss White rather than the usual
stain and wipe on oil stuff. So I need a sprayer. Ace has a
HomeRight Pro 5.5 that seems like it will work. And within the
budget.

Will this work for smaller projects? I won't use it for doing a house
or deck, or a car. I will probably spray oil based stuff, varnish,
urethane, and some Glossy White paint as well.

Any comments will be most welcome!!!

Rich.....

You could use a paint brush and foam roller.
Posted to rec.woodworking

rich wrote:
Hi All,
It's woodworking time again. Making some smaller bathroom free
standing cabinets, and SWMBO wants Gloss White rather than the usual
stain and wipe on oil stuff. So I need a sprayer. Ace has a
HomeRight Pro 5.5 that seems like it will work. And within the
budget.

Will this work for smaller projects? I won't use it for doing a house
or deck, or a car. I will probably spray oil based stuff, varnish,
urethane, and some Glossy White paint as well.

Any comments will be most welcome!!!

IMO, it will work just fine. Especially if you practice with it a bit to
learn to use it properly...correct atomization, volume and technique
determine the results.

For the last 20 years I have used a similar one from Wagner. Everyone here
will tell you those are total junk. All I know is it worked fine...used
mainly for louvered doors but also to lacquer a whole bunch of kitchen
cabinet doors and various other small projects. It finally died when I was
painting a stuccoed wall around my garden. I will probably replace the
Wagner with an inexpensive HVLP sprayer because it will suit my needs
better.

The one you are considering has two things going for it...

1. It has an accessory nozzle on a stem that can be bent up or down
(Wagner does too but it is an extra cost item). When using this kind of
sprayer with the cup you need to keep the sprayer vertical enough so that
the suction tube end is totally within the paint else it will spit gobs of
paint. Keeping that position is easy enough when the cup is full, but not
when the cup is close to empty. The bendable stem lets you keep the sprayer
vertical but direct the spray up or down.

2. Optionally, it lets you draw paint directly from the can. Cups
generally hold a quart and that quart weighs 2+ pounds...doesn't sound like
much but it can get heavy. Sucking from a can is a definite plus.

For really small projects, rattle cans or Preval type sprayers are handier
because of the lack of cleaning needed.
http://www.preval.com/shopping

http://www.google.com/products/catal...ed=0CFcQ8wIwAQ

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Hi All,
It's woodworking time again. Making some smaller bathroom free
standing cabinets, and SWMBO wants Gloss White rather than the usual
stain and wipe on oil stuff. So I need a sprayer. Ace has a
HomeRight Pro 5.5 that seems like it will work. And within the
budget.

Will this work for smaller projects? I won't use it for doing a house
or deck, or a car. I will probably spray oil based stuff, varnish,
urethane, and some Glossy White paint as well.

Any comments will be most welcome!!!

Rich.....

If you have a compressor with enough output (8 CFM @ 40 PSI minimum)
take a look at the Harbor Freight:

http://www.harborfreight.com/20-oz-h...gun-47016.html

I used one last month to stain over 100' of 6' high stockade fencing.
At the time I bought it is was on sale for $9.99. I thought for that
price I'd throw it away if it didn't work. I was surprised at how
well it worked. Cleaning it is a breeze.
--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10/25/2011 5:48 PM, rich wrote:
Hi All,
It's woodworking time again. Making some smaller bathroom free
standing cabinets, and SWMBO wants Gloss White rather than the usual
stain and wipe on oil stuff. So I need a sprayer. Ace has a
HomeRight Pro 5.5 that seems like it will work. And within the
budget.

Will this work for smaller projects? I won't use it for doing a house
or deck, or a car. I will probably spray oil based stuff, varnish,
urethane, and some Glossy White paint as well.

Any comments will be most welcome!!!

Rich.....

I'm on my second one now, the first one lasted a good ten years but I
killed it by not cleaning varnish out right.

But before that it painted three or four airplanes, my shop (Rustoleum
Rusty Metal Primer) a couple of trailers and a stray cat.

Not bad for $99

http://www.harborfreight.com/high-vo...kit-44677.html
Posted to rec.woodworking

In article ,
says...

wrote:

[...]

The gotcha is that Harbor Freight keeps changing the gun and
discontinuing the parts, including the needles, nozzles, and caps, so
when you change paints and need a different size you can't get it.

http://www.tcpglobal.com/spraygundepot/tcpgate.aspx will sell you
pretty much the same gun Harbor Freight does for about the same price
and they'll provide you any needle/nozzle/cap you want now or later.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 26 Oct 2011 21:28:31 -0400, "J. Clarke"
wrote:

In article ,
says...

wrote:

[...]

$99 seems to be a long way from $9 to me.
--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 27 Oct 2011 07:59:55 -0400, Nova wrote:

On Wed, 26 Oct 2011 21:28:31 -0400, "J. Clarke"
wrote:

In article ,
says...

wrote:

[...]

Sorry, I didn't scroll down far enough on the page you posted.

I'll have to check the air caps on my other guns to see if they fit
the Harbor Freight gun.
--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Posted to rec.woodworking

Thanks to All...

I got the HomeRight Pro 5.5 today, and will start the practice this
weekend. It seems to have bendable nozzle, extension tube to draw
from a can, and 3 different tips. Titanium and ceramic guts. I'm
guessing practice will make good primer coats!

Rich.....

Paint Sprayer ? James Nipper Home Repair 15 August 12th 11 07:46 PM
Paint sprayer SBH[_4_] Home Repair 7 January 10th 11 11:44 PM
Paint sprayer Dan[_13_] Home Repair 13 January 14th 10 01:08 PM
Paint sprayer & latex paint Adam Preble Home Repair 3 May 27th 06 01:57 PM
Paint sprayer Jim Mac Home Repair 2 June 4th 05 01:33 PM