Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Banded plywood

I'm building some desk drawers out of plywood. To hide the edges of the
plywood, I banded them with a thin piece of pine. The trouble is, I got
ahead of myself and would like to remove the banding.

I could cut the banding off with the table saw without a problem, but In
true Norm fashion I shot a couple of nails in until the glue dried. Any
suggestions on how to remove the banding without messing up the plywood?

The glue was Titebond II.

Puckdropper
Posted to rec.woodworking

How about sinking the nails deeper so you don't hit them with the saw.
Assuming you are going to put banding back on, then the old nails are
covered.
Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 10/15/2011 6:51 PM, Puckdropper wrote:
I'm building some desk drawers out of plywood. To hide the edges of the
plywood, I banded them with a thin piece of pine. The trouble is, I got
ahead of myself and would like to remove the banding.

I could cut the banding off with the table saw without a problem, but In
true Norm fashion I shot a couple of nails in until the glue dried. Any
suggestions on how to remove the banding without messing up the plywood?

Assuming you didn't put a zillion in and they're not 16d spikes, take an
old blade and just go ahead and cut.

Or, assuming the banding isn't important (you can make more), dig out
enough of a hole around them and pull 'em.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 15 Oct 2011 23:51:04 GMT, Puckdropper
puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com wrote:

I'm building some desk drawers out of plywood. To hide the edges of the
plywood, I banded them with a thin piece of pine. The trouble is, I got
ahead of myself and would like to remove the banding.

A hot iron would take the banding right off, Pucky. It wouldn't,
however, clean up the edge. What does "ahead of myself" mean here?

--
Happiness lies in the joy of achievement and the thrill of creative effort.
-- Franklin D. Roosevelt
Posted to rec.woodworking

Puckdropper wrote:
I'm building some desk drawers out of plywood. To hide the edges of
the plywood, I banded them with a thin piece of pine. The trouble
is, I got ahead of myself and would like to remove the banding.

I could cut the banding off with the table saw without a problem, but
In true Norm fashion I shot a couple of nails in until the glue
dried. Any suggestions on how to remove the banding without messing
up the plywood?

The glue was Titebond II.

Read the Titebond web site. Heat will loosen it. If they are just
finishing nails and you didn't go crazy with them - just cut them off.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Puckdropper" puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com wrote in message
eb.com...
I'm building some desk drawers out of plywood. To hide the edges of the
plywood, I banded them with a thin piece of pine. The trouble is, I got
ahead of myself and would like to remove the banding.

I could cut the banding off with the table saw without a problem, but In
true Norm fashion I shot a couple of nails in until the glue dried. Any
suggestions on how to remove the banding without messing up the plywood?

The glue was Titebond II.

Puckdropper

To get the nails out, if you have a plug cutter cut around the nail. Pry the
round piece of the band away and pull the nails out. Then table saw the band
off. WW

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Puckdropper" wrote:

I'm building some desk drawers out of plywood. To hide the edges of
the
plywood, I banded them with a thin piece of pine. The trouble is, I
got
ahead of myself and would like to remove the banding.

-------------------------------
A 1500 watt heat gun is your friend.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Mike Marlow" wrote in news:6cfa3$4e9a26c0
:

Puckdropper wrote:
I'm building some desk drawers out of plywood. To hide the edges of
the plywood, I banded them with a thin piece of pine. The trouble
is, I got ahead of myself and would like to remove the banding.

I could cut the banding off with the table saw without a problem, but
In true Norm fashion I shot a couple of nails in until the glue
dried. Any suggestions on how to remove the banding without messing
up the plywood?

The glue was Titebond II.

Read the Titebond web site. Heat will loosen it. If they are just
finishing nails and you didn't go crazy with them - just cut them off.

I did not know about the heat. Maybe I can get the glue to loosen and
get a good grip on the nails once the pieces have separated.

Puckdropper
Posted to rec.woodworking

Larry Jaques wrote in
:

On 15 Oct 2011 23:51:04 GMT, Puckdropper
puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com wrote:

I'm building some desk drawers out of plywood. To hide the edges of
the plywood, I banded them with a thin piece of pine. The trouble is,
I got ahead of myself and would like to remove the banding.

A hot iron would take the banding right off, Pucky. It wouldn't,
however, clean up the edge. What does "ahead of myself" mean here?

Once the nails are gone or at least below the surface, sand paper would
clean up the edges nicely.

What "ahead of myself" means is I cut some wood strips and glued them on
the plywood before I had all the strips cut. I changed my mind on how to
build things so I've got 3 drawer fronts with banding I don't want and 3
without.

Puckdropper
Posted to rec.woodworking

Puckdropper wrote:
"Mike Marlow" wrote in
news:6cfa3$4e9a26c0 :

Puckdropper wrote:
I'm building some desk drawers out of plywood. To hide the edges of
the plywood, I banded them with a thin piece of pine. The trouble
is, I got ahead of myself and would like to remove the banding.

I could cut the banding off with the table saw without a problem,
but In true Norm fashion I shot a couple of nails in until the glue
dried. Any suggestions on how to remove the banding without messing
up the plywood?

The glue was Titebond II.

Read the Titebond web site. Heat will loosen it. If they are just
finishing nails and you didn't go crazy with them - just cut them
off.

I did not know about the heat. Maybe I can get the glue to loosen and
get a good grip on the nails once the pieces have separated.

I felt so informed when I wrote that! Turns out that just a week and a half
ago I was in a similar situation and had to look it up myself...

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10/15/2011 7:32 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:
On 15 Oct 2011 23:51:04 GMT, Puckdropper
puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com wrote:

I'm building some desk drawers out of plywood. To hide the edges of the
plywood, I banded them with a thin piece of pine. The trouble is, I got
ahead of myself and would like to remove the banding.

A hot iron would take the banding right off, Pucky. It wouldn't,
however, clean up the edge. What does "ahead of myself" mean here?

--
Happiness lies in the joy of achievement and the thrill of creative effort.
-- Franklin D. Roosevelt

He used nails to reinforce the banding, are you suggesting he burn the
banding off with the iron? I suspect the banding would burn before the
adhesive warmed up. ;~)
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10/16/2011 8:09 AM, Leon wrote:
On 10/15/2011 7:32 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:
On 15 Oct 2011 23:51:04 GMT, Puckdropper
puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com wrote:

I'm building some desk drawers out of plywood. To hide the edges of the
plywood, I banded them with a thin piece of pine. The trouble is, I got
ahead of myself and would like to remove the banding.

A hot iron would take the banding right off, Pucky. It wouldn't,
however, clean up the edge. What does "ahead of myself" mean here?

--
Happiness lies in the joy of achievement and the thrill of creative
effort.
-- Franklin D. Roosevelt

He used nails to reinforce the banding, are you suggesting he burn the
banding off with the iron? I suspect the banding would burn before the
adhesive warmed up. ;~)

I'd thing the adhesive would release first - just using a hot iron.

I'd also not expect to reuse it...
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10/16/2011 11:37 PM, Richard wrote:
[...]

That may all depend on the thickness of the thin banding. LOL

I have scorched 1/16"veneer edge banding with an iron but when He
mentioned using nails to hold it in place I immediately ruled out
veneer. The thinnest banding I have used with nails was 1/4" thick. My
finish nailer sinks the heads 1/8" deep, My brad nailer does not sink
the heads so I would not use it at all. I still believe that might take
an exceptionally long time to remove with an iron.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2011-10-17 04:37:23 +0000, Richard said:

On 10/16/2011 8:09 AM, Leon wrote:
On 10/15/2011 7:32 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:
On 15 Oct 2011 23:51:04 GMT, Puckdropper
puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com wrote:

I'm building some desk drawers out of plywood. To hide the edges of the
plywood, I banded them with a thin piece of pine. The trouble is, I got
ahead of myself and would like to remove the banding.

A hot iron would take the banding right off, Pucky. It wouldn't,
however, clean up the edge. What does "ahead of myself" mean here?

He used nails to reinforce the banding, are you suggesting he burn the
banding off with the iron? I suspect the banding would burn before the
adhesive warmed up. ;~)

I'd thing the adhesive would release first - just using a hot iron.

I'd also not expect to reuse it...

That depends on the banding material and the adhesive. If it is the
iron on veneer type, then this might work. But if it is solid wood, it
woudl be mroe difficult.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Puckdropper puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com wrote in
eb.com:

I'm building some desk drawers out of plywood. To hide the edges of
the plywood, I banded them with a thin piece of pine. The trouble is,
I got ahead of myself and would like to remove the banding.

I could cut the banding off with the table saw without a problem, but
In true Norm fashion I shot a couple of nails in until the glue dried.
Any suggestions on how to remove the banding without messing up the
plywood?

The glue was Titebond II.

Puckdropper

I wound up using a combination of methods... I started with a chisel
and pried the banding off until it broke (usually around the first
nail.) Once enough of the nail was exposed I tried to pull the nail (1
1/4" brad nail). Some pulled, others I had to bury in the plywood.

Some sanding to remove the bits that were glued tight and I've got a set
of drawers that match.

Puckdropper