Posted to rec.woodworking
Max Max is offline

Default Basement Ceiling Insulation

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
On Mon, 3 Oct 2011 18:59:48 -0600, "Max"
wrote:

"m II" wrote in message
You do nothing for this group when it comes to intelligence....add to
the
noise in the group. greatly but nothing constructive.

Give us some cites for your unsubstantiated BS, for once. Impress the
few
listeners that haven't killfiled you yet.

-------------
"-MIKE-" wrote in message ...
Fiberglas insulation does virtually nothing in term of soundproofing.
It's a nice little marketing ploy my the Pink Panther to sell more
insulation.
The only "soundproofing" benefits might come from taking the hollow echo
out from the wall when you bang against it. But as far as stopping sound
from going through the wall, it does does virtually nothing.

Not quite true, but it all depends on the frequency of the noise.
Bass notes come right through it but it really dampens higher
frequencies.

It must be my imagination at work. I renovated one of the bathrooms in
our
house and in the process installed insulation in the wall that separates
the
bathroom from the den.
I can barely hear the TV in the den (at normal listening level) while I'm
in
the bathroom. But the most important effect is that while in the den and
someone flushes the toilet in that particular bathroom, it can't be heard
in
the den. Maybe it's the 30# felt I installed under the tile?

The felt will likely cause you adhesion problems later if ou put it
between your backer board and the tile. It also adds minimal sound
deadening, but the extra mass of the tile + backer board stops most of
it, while the fiberglass insulation absorbs 3-5dB. http://goo.gl/MkK5d

Better fiberglass matting for sound: http://goo.gl/i8tO8

The point is: Every little bit helps when it comes to sound blocking,
deadening, and absorbing.

Insulation between the studs. 30# felt. Backer board. Tile. In that order.
Has worked for me for many years. In any bathroom I've done.
"Every little bit helps" G AND........ I always try to have 2X6s in the
walls. AND......blocking for the installation of grab bars. If possible.

Max

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 4 Oct 2011 09:27:16 -0600, "Max"
wrote:

.. .

"-MIKE-" wrote in message ...
[...]

Whew! You had me scared there for a minute.

"Every little bit helps" G AND........ I always try to have 2X6s in the
walls. AND......blocking for the installation of grab bars. If possible.

Smart man, Max.

--
Worry is a misuse of imagination.
-- Dan Zadra

Please help with basement insulation Spork Home Repair 18 July 1st 10 12:43 PM
Which Insulation do I use for Open Basement Ceiling Overhead Subflloring, Flooring Mike Home Repair 12 February 6th 07 01:37 AM
Insulation options for a basement ceiling DL Home Repair 22 May 25th 05 05:02 PM
Basement Insulation Mick Home Repair 10 December 23rd 04 01:14 AM
Insulation of basement ceiling... spotty Home Repair 8 December 17th 04 09:13 PM