Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Burnt shellac

As glue, cure time?
Posted to rec.woodworking

Father Haskell wrote:

As glue, cure time?

The real question is,"why do you want to use shellac as a glue?"

Deb
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Oct 2, 12:16*am, "Dr. Deb" wrote:
Father Haskell wrote:
As glue, cure time?

The real question is,"why do you want to use shellac as a glue?"

Deb

Musical instrument construction uses it for wood - metal
joints. Reputed to be very strong, no water content,
non-hygroscopic, so it won't rust hidden metal surfaces
and later fail. It's also a good way to use up expired shellac,
which I have no shortage of. Fun stuff to make if you
have a pyromaniac streak, end result is a lovely caramel -
colored syrup, looks almost good enough to eat.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Father Haskell"

............. Fun stuff to make if you
have a pyromaniac streak, end result is a lovely caramel -
colored syrup, looks almost good enough to eat.

OK, but just how is the cooking done please?

Jeff

--
Jeff Gorman, West Yorkshire, UK
email : Username is amgron

Posted to rec.woodworking

You candle it over an alcohol flame same way you do furniture repair
sticks I assume.

Thanks Father Haskell, I didn't know shellac was used that way... good
info.. Better than the dumb argument over SawStop...

On 10/2/2011 2:30 AM, Jeff Gorman wrote:
"Father

............ Fun stuff to make if you
have a pyromaniac streak, end result is a lovely caramel -
colored syrup, looks almost good enough to eat.

OK, but just how is the cooking done please?

Jeff

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article , tiredofspam
says...

You candle it over an alcohol flame same way you do furniture repair
sticks I assume.

Thanks Father Haskell, I didn't know shellac was used that way... good
info.. Better than the dumb argument over SawStop...

According to google you pour orange shellac dissolved in alcohol into a
cake pan, light it, and when the alcohol's mostly burned off you cover
the pan to put it out.

On 10/2/2011 2:30 AM, Jeff Gorman wrote:
"Father

............ Fun stuff to make if you
have a pyromaniac streak, end result is a lovely caramel -
colored syrup, looks almost good enough to eat.

OK, but just how is the cooking done please?

Jeff

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Oct 2, 5:00*pm, "J. Clarke" wrote:
In article , tiredofspam
says...

You candle it over an alcohol flame same way you do furniture repair
sticks I assume.

Thanks Father Haskell, I didn't know shellac was used that way... good
info.. Better than the dumb argument over SawStop...

According to google you pour orange shellac dissolved in alcohol into a
cake pan, light it, and when the alcohol's mostly burned off you cover
the pan to put it out.

Preferably outdoors, at night, so you can see the
otherwise nearly invisible flames. I had a nice, 2 foot
fireball over the cake pan. Did a splendid job taking the
chill off the evening.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 2 Oct 2011 17:00:00 -0700 (PDT), Father Haskell
wrote:

On Oct 2, 5:00*pm, "J. Clarke" wrote:
In article , tiredofspam
says...

You candle it over an alcohol flame same way you do furniture repair
sticks I assume.

Thanks Father Haskell, I didn't know shellac was used that way... good
info.. Better than the dumb argument over SawStop...

According to google you pour orange shellac dissolved in alcohol into a
cake pan, light it, and when the alcohol's mostly burned off you cover
the pan to put it out.

Preferably outdoors, at night, so you can see the
otherwise nearly invisible flames. I had a nice, 2 foot
fireball over the cake pan. Did a splendid job taking the
chill off the evening.

Sorry I am late to this party; I haven't lurked here in a while.

Tage Frid's book describes how to light shellac on fire to to make
shellac burn-in sticks.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Oct 19, 5:06*pm, Jim Weisgram
wrote:
On Sun, 2 Oct 2011 17:00:00 -0700 (PDT), Father Haskell

wrote:
On Oct 2, 5:00*pm, "J. Clarke" wrote:
In article , tiredofspam
says...

You candle it over an alcohol flame same way you do furniture repair
sticks I assume.

Thanks Father Haskell, I didn't know shellac was used that way... good
info.. Better than the dumb argument over SawStop...

According to google you pour orange shellac dissolved in alcohol into a
cake pan, light it, and when the alcohol's mostly burned off you cover
the pan to put it out.

Preferably outdoors, at night, so you can see the
otherwise nearly invisible flames. *I had a nice, 2 foot
fireball over the cake pan. *Did a splendid job taking the
chill off the evening.

Sorry I am late to this party; I haven't lurked here in a while.

Tage Frid's book describes how to light shellac on fire to to make
shellac burn-in sticks.

Useful to know since Woodcraft stopped selling them. I'd
love to use them for quick and cheap "inlay."

Burnt Wire camryguy89 Home Repair 17 September 10th 09 01:41 PM
burnt 3 pin plug. [email protected] UK diy 31 September 10th 08 07:42 PM
Burnt Electrode - Rod.JPG (1/1) Al Electronic Schematics 17 October 26th 07 02:41 AM
Burnt Chip GregS Electronics Repair 0 April 5th 06 09:18 PM
burnt and no clue, UPS [email protected] Electronics Repair 4 June 14th 05 10:26 PM