Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default burnt 3 pin plug.

I was moving a washing machibe in a friends flat last night, and I
noticed that the 3 pin plug has signs of burning around the live and
neutral pins - not too serious - just enough to discolour the plastic
and turn it brown.

What could cause this to happen?

Thanks,
Mark.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 9 Sep, 11:25, Andy Cap wrote:
On Tue, 9 Sep 2008 03:21:27 -0700 (PDT), wrote:
I was moving a washing machibe in a friends flat last night, and I
noticed that the 3 pin plug has signs of burning around the live and
neutral pins - not too serious - just enough to discolour the plastic
and turn it brown.

What could cause this to happen?

Thanks,
Mark.

Cheapo socket !

Andy C

Why would a cheap socket cause this to happen?

Thanks,
Mark.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
I was moving a washing machibe in a friends flat last night, and I
noticed that the 3 pin plug has signs of burning around the live and
neutral pins - not too serious - just enough to discolour the plastic
and turn it brown.

What could cause this to happen?

Thanks,
Mark.

Cheapo socket !

Andy C

Why would a cheap socket cause this to happen?

The metal wipers in the socket holes do not touch the pin over a big enough
area or firmly enough to give the minimum contact resistance or cut through
surface dirt/oxidation. This leads to heat and more oxidation, leading to
more heat.

This can happen over time with a decent socket - it never hurts to unplug
and plug back in every now and then (once or twice a year) to remake the
contact. Also loose wires inside a rewirable plug (not usual on a washing
machine now) can cause the same heating problem - check screw tightness too
if the plug is rewirable.

--
Bob Mannix
(anti-spam is as easy as 1-2-3 - not)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 9 Sep, 11:36, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
wrote:
I was moving a washing machibe in a friends flat last night, and I
noticed that the 3 pin plug has signs of burning around the live and
neutral pins - not too serious - just enough to discolour the plastic
and turn it brown.

What could cause this to happen?

Thanks,
Mark.

Corrosion in the socket and on the plug. Causes arcing RF interference
and heat.

Really replace both plug AND socket. It's not *likely* to catch fire,
but its happened..

Thanks!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
[...]

Mark.- Hide quoted text -

So there couldn't be a more sinister wirig problem at the root of
this?

Thanks,
Mark.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
I was moving a washing machibe in a friends flat last night, and I
noticed that the 3 pin plug has signs of burning around the live and
neutral pins - not too serious - just enough to discolour the plastic
and turn it brown.

What could cause this to happen?

Thanks,
Mark.

Corrosion in the socket and on the plug. Causes arcing RF interference
and heat.

Really replace both plug AND socket. It's not *likely* to catch fire,
but its happened..

Thanks!

As an aside - MK was derived from "Multi - Kontact". Their patent was to
ensure better contact in the days of round pins - when many makers were
using a fairly simple round hole, MK introduced spring loaded sectors to
make better contact.

Incidentally, the type of plastic does not discolour easily - so I think if
has been seriously hot. The wires in the socket may be damaged. Take care!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
I was moving a washing machibe in a friends flat last night, and I
noticed that the 3 pin plug has signs of burning around the live and
neutral pins - not too serious - just enough to discolour the plastic
and turn it brown.

What could cause this to happen?

Not using MK sockets,
not pushing it in properly,
hanging weights on the flex,
getting it covered in corrosive chemicals,

I would go for a cr@p socket or not pushing it in well.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 9 Sep, 12:23, "dennis@home" wrote:
wrote in message

I was moving a washing machibe in a friends flat last night, and I
noticed that the 3 pin plug has signs of burning around the live and
neutral pins - not too serious - just enough to discolour the plastic
and turn it brown.

What could cause this to happen?

Not using MK sockets,
not pushing it in properly,
hanging weights on the flex,
getting it covered in corrosive chemicals,
..

I would go for a cr@p socket or not pushing it in well.

Thanks guys - I shall advise they replace plug and socket!

Thanks,
Mark.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article
,
wrote:
I was moving a washing machibe in a friends flat last night, and I
noticed that the 3 pin plug has signs of burning around the live and
neutral pins - not too serious - just enough to discolour the plastic
and turn it brown.

What could cause this to happen?

Loose connections within the plug. Loose connections to the fuse. Poor
quality socket. Grease etc got onto the socket or plug pins. Plus a few
others I can't remember.

--
*Upon the advice of my attorney, my shirt bears no message at this time

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
dennis@home wrote:
Not using MK sockets,

MK *may* have been superior to some other makes many many years ago but
not anymore.

--
*I took an IQ test and the results were negative.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Andy Wade wrote:
So there couldn't be a more sinister wirig problem at the root of
this?

Loose terminal screws and/or fuse clips in the _plug_ is the most common
cause of this. If discolouration is evident I'd replace both plug and
socket as a precaution. Ensure that all terminal screws are really
tight, that the end-caps of the plug fuse are clean and that the fuse is
gripped firmly by the clips in the plug. Also ensure that the plug's
cord grip is correctly used and firmly clamps the sheath of the flex.

Of course unless it's pretty old it has probably got a factory fitted
moulded on plug. I dunno how these are connected to the flex - crimped?

--
*Avoid clichés like the plague. (They're old hat.) *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
dennis@home wrote:
Not using MK sockets,

MK *may* have been superior to some other makes many many years ago but
not anymore.

I don't think they are inferior to any ATM.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

dennis@home wrote:
Not using MK sockets,

MK *may* have been superior to some other makes many many years ago but
not anymore.

--
*I took an IQ test and the results were negative.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

I accept that - standards have improved - unless you buy absolute tat.
(Avoid Pound Shops and Sunday markets!)

All good brands will meet the proper requirements.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote

I was moving a washing machibe in a friends flat last night, and I
noticed that the 3 pin plug has signs of burning around the live and
neutral pins - not too serious - just enough to discolour the plastic
and turn it brown.

What could cause this to happen?

Thanks,
Mark.

Don't think this has been covered elsewhere.......
If the plug is rewirable, strongly recommend that you cut the flex back
approx 50mm and totally remake all wiring into the plug.
The amount of heat required to cause the blackening is likely also to have
"baked" the connecting wire and its insulation.
If you remove the plug and try to flex the individual conductors you will
probably find that all the insulation will simply flake off and the wire
ends may well break easily.
Also, if you replace the socket, then check out the ends of the mains wiring
also (I had a similar fault leading to the issues noted above).

Phil

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Thinking about it, a smear of silicone grease on the plug new plug that
you are going to install with the new socket should help a lot..

Is it conductive then? If so, I never knew that.

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

Dave wrote:
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Thinking about it, a smear of silicone grease on the plug new plug
that you are going to install with the new socket should help a lot..

Is it conductive then? If so, I never knew that.

Dave

Funny thing memory. You have just nudged back into my head that silicone
is a major problem for domestic electrical equipment. Seems excessive
use of Pledge (and similar) ends up with silicone spreading everywhere -
and effectively insulating components. One drop can spread out to cover
a square metre? So it causes failure of many televisions in there
wood-effect cases that were proudly polished.

However, my memory might be playing tricks. Or the original info. mght
have been duff. I await comments by others who *know* the answers.

--
Rod

onset.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave wrote:
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Thinking about it, a smear of silicone grease on the plug new plug
that you are going to install with the new socket should help a lot..

Is it conductive then? If so, I never knew that.

No. it isn't5, but it doesn't break down and turn to carbon.

So it makes a decent covering against corrosion.

Dave

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bob Mannix wrote:
wrote:
[...]

Are they not all made to a British Standard spec? I would assume that laid
down minimum contact areas?

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 09 Sep 2008 18:04:17 GMT, "The Medway Handyman"
wrote:

The metal wipers in the socket holes do not touch the pin over a big
enough area or firmly enough to give the minimum contact resistance
or cut through surface dirt/oxidation. This leads to heat and more
oxidation, leading to more heat.

This can happen over time with a decent socket - it never hurts to
unplug and plug back in every now and then (once or twice a year) to
remake the contact. Also loose wires inside a rewirable plug (not
usual on a washing machine now) can cause the same heating problem -
check screw tightness too if the plug is rewirable.

Are they not all made to a British Standard spec? I would assume that laid
down minimum contact areas?

It may or may not. As regards the sockets the actual area of contact
is governed by the profile of the contacts after they've been pressed
into the required shape and concealed within the plastic assy. Of
course the quality of the metal contact material is also significant.

Plenty sold on market stalls and in pound shops are counterfeit.

Sometimes stuff is claimed to be made to a BS spec (so that's all
right) but in fact has never been tested by an independant test house,
you've only *Their* word for it that it complies. Sometimes stuff is
type tested and passed but then the production methods are not
sufficient to ensure consistency of the product over the years of
production. For instance a colleague once went to China to install a
Swiss metal casting machine and found the "factory" had four walls and
a roof but just an earth floor. His precision casting machine weighed
3 tons. A famous local manufacturer of electric motors moved
production to Poland and found the rate of warranty failures and
customer complaints suddenly went through the roof. They sent somebody
over and found the "factory" was unheated and the operatives were
assembling motors in the Polish winter wearing overcoats and gloves.

Imagine how much of a mess a back street sweat shop in Bangalore could
make of a 13A socket.

Derek

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
I was moving a washing machibe in a friends flat last night, and I
noticed that the 3 pin plug has signs of burning around the live and
neutral pins - not too serious - just enough to discolour the plastic
and turn it brown.

What could cause this to happen?

Thanks,
Mark.

I find the 'modern' plugs with the 'half plastic' pins seem to get a lot
hotter when used on higher power items like fan heaters and other things
with elements in, like your washing machine. I suppose it isn't possible to
get the old, all brass items any more though.

If you don't have RCD protection, you may find that you have an earth leak
in the machine itself if the element is on the way out (RCD would trip out
when you switched on the machine if there was such a leak.)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Derek wrote:

Imagine how much of a mess a back street sweat shop in Bangalore could
make of a 13A socket.

I've seen 13A 3 pin plugs supplied with computer equipment that were
barely any bigger than the old triangular round-pin plugs. They had no
space for a fuse, and fingers could very easily touch the pins while
being plugged in! They basically looked like this

http://www.lakewoodconferences.com/d...uth_Africa.jpg

But the pins were square to fit UK sockets...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"chunkyoldcortina" wrote in message
Derek wrote:

Imagine how much of a mess a back street sweat shop in Bangalore could
make of a 13A socket.

I've seen 13A 3 pin plugs supplied with computer equipment that were
barely any bigger than the old triangular round-pin plugs. They had no
space for a fuse, and fingers could very easily touch the pins while being
plugged in! They basically looked like this

http://www.lakewoodconferences.com/d...uth_Africa.jpg

But the pins were square to fit UK sockets...

Report them to trading standards and they will be done for supplying illegal
equipment.
They can't even supply one without the insulated pins these days (I suppose
that technically they could just fit a six+ inch wide shield all around the
plug).