Posted to rec.woodworking

Default NYC Area - Where to buy "nicer" wood?

Anybody from around here? (New York City) Where do you go to buy stuff
you can't find at HD? I'm not looking for Bubinga harvested strictly by
missionaries, mind you. But a place to get furniture grade plywood and
solid wood that's not twisted like the Red Baron's propeller would be nice.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sep 30, 11:31*am, Greg Guarino wrote:

Anybody from around here? (New York City) Where do you go to buy stuff
you can't find at HD? I'm not looking for Bubinga harvested strictly by
missionaries, mind you. But a place to get furniture grade plywood and
solid wood that's not twisted like the Red Baron's propeller would be nice.

Where exactly near NYC?

Furniture grade and exotic plywood
Honerkamp in the Bronx or Central Islip (never been to the one in
Islip).
http://www.honerkamp.com/

Hardwood
A big outfit in White Plains and Stormville (worth the drive even if
the other location is closer).
http://www.condonlumber.net/

A small outfit
Wood-ply was a small, kinda odd place with some nice wood, but I'm not
sure if they're still there - I haven't been there in three or four
years and the web site seems to be gone. They weren't the most
internet savvy about their site in the first place, so maybe they hid
it on the net somewhere. Worth a call to find out.
http://www.yelp.com/biz/wood-ply-lumber-corp-freeport

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9/30/2011 12:40 PM, RicodJour wrote:
On Sep 30, 11:31 am, Greg wrote:

Anybody from around here? (New York City) Where do you go to buy stuff
you can't find at HD? I'm not looking for Bubinga harvested strictly by
missionaries, mind you. But a place to get furniture grade plywood and
solid wood that's not twisted like the Red Baron's propeller would be nice.

Where exactly near NYC?

I live in Queens, but all of the locations you mention are reasonably
accessible by car. Thanks.

Furniture grade and exotic plywood
Honerkamp in the Bronx or Central Islip (never been to the one in
Islip).
http://www.honerkamp.com/

Hardwood
A big outfit in White Plains and Stormville (worth the drive even if
the other location is closer).
http://www.condonlumber.net/

A small outfit
Wood-ply was a small, kinda odd place with some nice wood, but I'm not
sure if they're still there - I haven't been there in three or four
years and the web site seems to be gone. They weren't the most
internet savvy about their site in the first place, so maybe they hid
it on the net somewhere. Worth a call to find out.
http://www.yelp.com/biz/wood-ply-lumber-corp-freeport

Posted to rec.woodworking

Perhaps www.woodfinder.com can help.

--
In the depth of winter, I finally learned
that within me there lay an invincible summer.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Greg Guarino wrote:
Anybody from around here? (New York City) Where do you go to buy stuff
you can't find at HD? I'm not looking for Bubinga harvested strictly
by missionaries, mind you. But a place to get furniture grade plywood
and solid wood that's not twisted like the Red Baron's propeller
would be nice.

It all depends what you are looking for - since you did not say. HD
actually has good oak - if that's what you're looking for. Not twisted at
all. As for other hardwood selections - sorry... don't know anything about
the NYC area. That said, if you want to make the trip up to Syracuse, I can
show you a great place.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9/30/2011 8:25 PM, Mike Marlow wrote:
Greg Guarino wrote:
Anybody from around here? (New York City) Where do you go to buy stuff
you can't find at HD? I'm not looking for Bubinga harvested strictly
by missionaries, mind you. But a place to get furniture grade plywood
and solid wood that's not twisted like the Red Baron's propeller
would be nice.

It all depends what you are looking for - since you did not say. HD
actually has good oak - if that's what you're looking for. Not twisted at
all. As for other hardwood selections - sorry... don't know anything about
the NYC area. That said, if you want to make the trip up to Syracuse, I can
show you a great place.

In my limited experience, I've found that I had to pick through to find
decent pieces of oak 1x2. Some aren't straight and many have other
flaws, some inflicted by careless customers, no doubt. But yes,
eventually I've been able to find something I can use.

Nicer plywood is what I'm really looking for. Another poster suggested a
couple of places that look promising, but for their hours, which are
weekdays only.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Greg Guarino wrote:

Nicer plywood is what I'm really looking for. Another poster suggested a
couple of places that look promising, but for their hours, which are
weekdays only.

Greg, I'm in Bergen County, NJ and have given up on the box stores for
decent lumber, ply or hardwood. I have several local 'lumber yards'
which carry better grades and better condition ply and lumber. Except
for the damn tolls on the bridges and tunnels, it might be worth
Googling for Bergen Cty lumber yards which most are open Saturday
mornings, and take a ride out here to the country.
tb
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Oct 1, 6:44*am, Greg Guarino wrote:

Nicer plywood is what I'm really looking for. Another poster suggested a
couple of places that look promising, but for their hours, which are
weekdays only.

I tell you about a plywood _candy store_ and you worry about the
hours! Sheesh.

Try Chesler Plywood.
http://www.cheslerplywood.com
Many moons ago I seem to recall going there on a Saturday morning, but
their site doesn't list their hours. Depending on where in Queens you
are, it might be easier to get there.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Han Han is offline

tommyboy wrote in
:

Greg Guarino wrote:

Nicer plywood is what I'm really looking for. Another poster suggested
a couple of places that look promising, but for their hours, which are
weekdays only.

Greg, I'm in Bergen County, NJ and have given up on the box stores for
decent lumber, ply or hardwood. I have several local 'lumber yards'
which carry better grades and better condition ply and lumber. Except
for the damn tolls on the bridges and tunnels, it might be worth
Googling for Bergen Cty lumber yards which most are open Saturday
mornings, and take a ride out here to the country.
tb

I'm in Bergen too (Fair Lawn, near Passaic). I'd like to ask which are
the lumber yards you frequent? There are too many to figure out which
ones are any good. And I'm lazy ...

--
Best regards
Han
Posted to rec.woodworking

Greg Guarino wrote:
[...]

Condon Lumber is where folks (commercial and individuals) from the
Mid-Hudson Valley go for good ply... They also have hardwoods. However,
there are some other distributers upstate, such as Curtis Lumber, that offer
a good selection of domestic and import wood. Whatever is closer tends to
rule! Also, for stuff like walnut, maple, oak, and other domestic hardwoods
from the N.E. most of the guys in my club buy rough cut from the many small
mills upstate.

http://www.condonlumber.net/

John

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 01 Oct 2011 16:45:40 GMT, Han wrote:

tommyboy wrote in
:

On Sat, 01 Oct 2011 06:44:36 -0400, Greg Guarino

I'm in Bergen too (Fair Lawn, near Passaic). I'd like to ask which are
the lumber yards you frequent? There are too many to figure out which
ones are any good. And I'm lazy ...

Han, know FL well, used to live and work there. I'm a bit north of you
up 208, off Cedar Hill.
Off the top of my head I'd give thumbs up to 84 Lumber in Oakland,
Kuiken in Midland Park and a close 3rd to Home in Hawthorne. Not that
I like the way the counter guys treat the non-tradesmen, but I do like
the fact that a gratuity to the guy who picks your order will usually
buy you the opportunity to go through the stock and pick your own, so
long as you don't leave a mess. Larkin in Paramus is pretty good,
also. Dykes on RT17 south up in Ramsey is also OK. If you need stuff
on Sunday, the HD on RT23 in Riverdale is worlds apart from the local
HDs. Decent stock, friendly and knowledgable staff for the most part.
tb

By the way, do you know anyone local who knows his way around a
Performax drum sander? Mine is giving me fits.
Posted to rec.woodworking
Han Han is offline

tommyboy wrote in news:1osg87h43jaosqji8h6ceren54t8fgd9h7
@4ax.com:

[...]

Thanks, Tommy. Looks like good info. Sorry, I don't know anything about
a performax drum sander. Currently going to adult ed woodworking at
Paramus high school, and there is a rather big drum sander/thicknesser.
Teacher used one of those almost 2x2" sandpaper cleaners on it to get the
sandpaper usable. Not sure thos one is exactly parallel to its table,
but it did a really good job on my resawn thin mahogany that is intended
as a thick venner to be used in a coaster glue-up from a magazine.

--
Best regards
Han
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sep 30, 11:31*am, Greg Guarino wrote:
Anybody from around here? (New York City) Where do you go to buy stuff
you can't find at HD? I'm not looking for Bubinga harvested strictly by
missionaries, mind you. But a place to get furniture grade plywood and
solid wood that's not twisted like the Red Baron's propeller would be nice.

Try Willard Brothers in Lawrenceville NJ.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10/1/2011 9:09 AM, RicodJour wrote:
On Oct 1, 6:44 am, Greg wrote:

Nicer plywood is what I'm really looking for. Another poster suggested a
couple of places that look promising, but for their hours, which are
weekdays only.

I tell you about a plywood _candy store_ and you worry about the
hours! Sheesh.

I'm not complaining, mind you. I'll probably eventually get over there,
but it will require taking a day off from work.

Try Chesler Plywood.
http://www.cheslerplywood.com
Many moons ago I seem to recall going there on a Saturday morning, but
their site doesn't list their hours. Depending on where in Queens you
are, it might be easier to get there.

That is a pretty convenient location. Thanks again.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Oct 3, 10:57*am, Greg Guarino wrote:
On 10/1/2011 9:09 AM, RicodJour wrote: On Oct 1, 6:44 am, Greg *wrote:

Nicer plywood is what I'm really looking for. Another poster suggested a
couple of places that look promising, but for their hours, which are
weekdays only.

I tell you about a plywood _candy store_ and you worry about the
hours! *Sheesh. *

I'm not complaining, mind you. I'll probably eventually get over there,
but it will require taking a day off from work.

Work is overrated.

Try Chesler Plywood.
http://www.cheslerplywood.com
Many moons ago I seem to recall going there on a Saturday morning, but
their site doesn't list their hours. *Depending on where in Queens you
are, it might be easier to get there.

That is a pretty convenient location. Thanks again.

You're welcome.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sep 30, 11:31*am, Greg Guarino wrote:
Anybody from around here? (New York City) Where do you go to buy stuff
you can't find at HD? I'm not looking for Bubinga harvested strictly by
missionaries, mind you. But a place to get furniture grade plywood and
solid wood that's not twisted like the Red Baron's propeller would be nice.

I live on Long Island. Here are two places I would go:

http://rosenzweiglumber.com/ In the Bronx. I've visited here but
not bought. They have a LOT of different species and will deliver
(free I think) for an order over $300.

http://www.robertsplywood.com/ In Deer Park, LI. I have bought
here. Nice folks, good selection of both plywood and hardwood.

Good luck, Bill Leonhardt