Posted to rec.woodworking

Default akeda dovetail jig

so I finally decide to break down a buy an akeda jig and I'll be
darned that there has been a shortage on these things and they aren't
available now. I called the jigstore and got some blond who really
wasn't much help. does anyone have any information when these jigs are
going to be available?
thanks in advance
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9/14/2011 10:50 AM, Dave redon wrote:

so I finally decide to break down a buy an akeda jig and I'll be
darned that there has been a shortage on these things and they aren't
available now. I called the jigstore and got some blond who really
wasn't much help. does anyone have any information when these jigs are
going to be available?
thanks in advance

IIRC they have been unavailable for most of this year and last.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9/14/2011 10:50 AM, Dave redon wrote:

so I finally decide to break down a buy an akeda jig and I'll be
darned that there has been a shortage on these things and they aren't
available now. I called the jigstore and got some blond who really
wasn't much help. does anyone have any information when these jigs are
going to be available?
thanks in advance

If you find out let us know here. I've been trying to buy one for two years.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010
Posted to rec.woodworking

Dave redon wrote the following:
so I finally decide to break down a buy an akeda jig and I'll be
darned that there has been a shortage on these things and they aren't
available now. I called the jigstore and got some blond who really
wasn't much help. does anyone have any information when these jigs are
going to be available?
thanks in advance

Does it have to be an Akeda?

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to rec.woodworking

Swingman wrote:
On 9/14/2011 10:50 AM, Dave redon wrote:

so I finally decide to break down a buy an akeda jig and I'll be
darned that there has been a shortage on these things and they aren't
available now. I called the jigstore and got some blond who really
wasn't much help.

How did you find out that he or she was blond?

does anyone have any information when these jigs are
going to be available?
thanks in advance

If you find out let us know here. I've been trying to buy one for two
years.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sep 14, 11:50*am, Dave redon wrote:
so I finally decide to break down a buy an akeda jig and I'll be
darned that there has been a shortage on these things and they aren't
available now. I called the jigstore and got some blond who really
wasn't much help. does anyone have any information when these jigs are
going to be available?
thanks in advance

Is $50 a lot for one?

http://hartford.craigslist.org/tls/2593094671.html

Probably already gone, but...

Posted to rec.woodworking

RicodJour wrote the following:
On Sep 14, 11:50 am, Dave redon wrote:
so I finally decide to break down a buy an akeda jig and I'll be
darned that there has been a shortage on these things and they aren't
available now. I called the jigstore and got some blond who really
wasn't much help. does anyone have any information when these jigs are
going to be available?
thanks in advance

Is $50 a lot for one?

http://hartford.craigslist.org/tls/2593094671.html

Probably already gone, but...

Not enough information. What size jig does the OP want and what size jig
is the seller offering? Where is the OP, anywhere near Hartford, CT?
BTW, I checked my local CL and there were none there, neither were there
any on eBay.
Also, Akeda does not know, or say, that their products are no longer
available.
http://www.akeda.com/

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
In the original Orange County. Est. 1683
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 14 Sep 2011 21:49:56 -0400, willshak wrote:

Also, Akeda does not know, or say, that their products are no longer
available.
http://www.akeda.com/

On http://www.akeda.com/find-a-dealer.html:

"Notice

AKEDA is experiencing a temporary shortage of jigs. Parts and accessories
are not affected. We appreciate your patience.

When we have an ETA on the next shipment it will be posted here. "

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9/15/2011 11:39 AM, Larry Blanchard wrote:
On Wed, 14 Sep 2011 21:49:56 -0400, willshak wrote:

Also, Akeda does not know, or say, that their products are no longer
available.
http://www.akeda.com/

On http://www.akeda.com/find-a-dealer.html:

"Notice

AKEDA is experiencing a temporary shortage of jigs. Parts and accessories
are not affected. We appreciate your patience.

When we have an ETA on the next shipment it will be posted here. "

That's been there for the almost two years that I've been checking.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010
Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 9/15/2011 11:39 AM, Larry Blanchard wrote:
On Wed, 14 Sep 2011 21:49:56 -0400, willshak wrote:

Also, Akeda does not know, or say, that their products are no longer
available.
http://www.akeda.com/

On http://www.akeda.com/find-a-dealer.html:

"Notice

AKEDA is experiencing a temporary shortage of jigs. Parts and accessories
are not affected. We appreciate your patience.

When we have an ETA on the next shipment it will be posted here. "

They haven't said it, but might as well--that "temporary shortage" has
been two years or more now that folks have been posting of not being
able to order them(+).

IMO, they're effectively out of business. No idea what the real problem
must be, but there seems little point in the status quo for either them
or the woodworking community.

$0.02, etc., etc., etc., of course...

(+) Oh, in looking, now I see Karl did note his frustration--I'm pretty
sure I recall others who've posted here as well.

Similar to my experience w/ Freud on their planer knives--I had standing
order refreshed every month for nearly three years that never was
delivered. They finally "won" when the update/reconfirm order mechanism
was modified to require a manual response instead of an autobot reply
and I was out of town and they had canceled the order by the time I got
back. Great price offered for solid carbide knives but didn't cost 'em
a thing as long as they never had product to actually deliver.

Posted to rec.woodworking

dpb wrote the following:
[...]

Joke follows:
A guy walks into a store to buy an Akeda Dovetail Jig.
The clerk says, "We have it, it's (insert price here)"
The guy says, "Why so much, the store cross town sells them for (insert
lower price here)".
The clerk says, "Well, why don't you buy it there"?
The guy says, "There out of them".
The clerk says, "Well, when we are out of them, we sell them for that
price too."

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
In the original Orange County. Est. 1683
Posted to rec.woodworking

willshak wrote the following:
dpb wrote the following:
[...]

Brain fart. 'They're' instead of 'There'.

The clerk says, "Well, when we are out of them, we sell them for that
price too."

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
In the original Orange County. Est. 1683
Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 9/15/2011 2:31 PM, willshak wrote:
willshak wrote the following:

Joke follows:

The clerk says, "Well, when we are out of them, we sell them for that
price too."

Yeah. The difference w/ the Freud incident I had was they could use it
as a loss-leader kind of come on (apparently) since they did/do have
other product that they do actually sell. Akeda, afaict, really doesn't
have anything else under this guise and it's difficult to imagine
there's any revenue of significance generated from whatever parts they
actually have/sell or accessories to what must be a _very_ limited
audience that actually has one of their jigs.

It is a puzzle as to what must be going on. I conjecture it must be
something like a health or other similar issue w/ a sole
proprietorship-type organization so there's nobody to mind the store
when something happens. But, who knows????

It's all a mystery but it surely seems there's no reason for anybody to
wait and expect to get one any time _real_soon_now_ (tm).

Posted to rec.woodworking
Han Han is offline

dpb wrote in :

[...]

I bought an Akeda jig setup when they were available. I had trouble
setting it up so it would give nicely fitting tails and pins, and I
damaged something (IIRC) in trying - I think it was one of the plastic
thingies that guide the router. That was a while ago. I'll have to try
again some time, but if it doesn't work right for me, I might be
persuaded to let it go ...

--
Best regards
Han
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9/14/2011 6:49 PM, willshak wrote:

Also, Akeda does not know, or say, that their products are no longer
available.
http://www.akeda.com/

Yes they do. It's right on the "find a dealer" page. The availability of
the Akeda jig has always been spotty. I thought it would have been gone
by now.