Posted to rec.woodworking

Default What Tool(s) To Use To Crush Ice Cubes Fast

I can put ice cubes into a plastic bag and swing it down to the
floor. It works -- one big problem -- the second swing breaks the
plastic bag. I put heavy nuts (nut and bolt nuts) into a container
and shook the container. This barely works at all. I bought an
expensive blender. The shaft broke inside where it cannot be gotten
to. I have run the cubes under that tap. This works fast but I don't
like having to make twice the ice. -------- One of you has an idea of
something I can put on the kitchen counter or on the garage work bench
and crush 10 or 12 cubes of ice with one pull of a lever or one blow
of a hammer or some thing-a-ma-bob I can by in hardware or automotive
store. Please give me your ideas even if you haven't had time to
prove them. I would really appreciate it. R E Williams, Surrey,
British Columbia
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 13 Sep 2011 16:57:57 -0700 (PDT), RadioDays
wrote:

I can put ice cubes into a plastic bag and swing it down to the
floor. It works -- one big problem -- the second swing breaks the
plastic bag. I put heavy nuts (nut and bolt nuts) into a container
and shook the container. This barely works at all. I bought an
expensive blender. The shaft broke inside where it cannot be gotten
to. I have run the cubes under that tap. This works fast but I don't
like having to make twice the ice. -------- One of you has an idea of
something I can put on the kitchen counter or on the garage work bench
and crush 10 or 12 cubes of ice with one pull of a lever or one blow
of a hammer or some thing-a-ma-bob I can by in hardware or automotive
store. Please give me your ideas even if you haven't had time to
prove them. I would really appreciate it. R E Williams, Surrey,
British Columbia

Take one thick rubber glove, one metric ton of ice cubes, one
largeasss bucket, and a simple stainless steel tablespoon.

Pick up one ice cube, rap soundly with the rounded portion of the
tablespoon, dump in bucket. Rinse, repeat until you can find some
other idiot to take over for you.

--
When you are kind to someone in trouble, you hope they'll remember
and be kind to someone else. And it'll become like a wildfire.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9/13/2011 6:57 PM, RadioDays wrote:
I can put ice cubes into a plastic bag and swing it down to the
floor. It works -- one big problem -- the second swing breaks the
plastic bag. I put heavy nuts (nut and bolt nuts) into a container
and shook the container. This barely works at all. I bought an
expensive blender. The shaft broke inside where it cannot be gotten
to. I have run the cubes under that tap. This works fast but I don't
like having to make twice the ice. -------- One of you has an idea of
something I can put on the kitchen counter or on the garage work bench
and crush 10 or 12 cubes of ice with one pull of a lever or one blow
of a hammer or some thing-a-ma-bob I can by in hardware or automotive
store. Please give me your ideas even if you haven't had time to
prove them. I would really appreciate it. R E Williams, Surrey,
British Columbia

dad used to use a gunny sack and the broad side of a three pound mallet
to crush ice for the ice cream freezer. Froze the blocks ourselves by
filling paper milk cartons, then all you had to do is put the cartons in
the bag, and pound away!

--
Steve Barker
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Steve Barker" wrote in message
[...]

The father of a friend of mine was out on the sidewalk with a gunny sack
(burlap bag) with a block of ice in it. He was swinging it back and forth
against the sidewalk when a car went by. He said loudly,"God damn kittens!"
Kerry

Posted to rec.woodworking

"RadioDays" wrote in message
I can put ice cubes into a plastic bag and swing it down to the
floor. It works -- one big problem -- the second swing breaks the
plastic bag. I put heavy nuts (nut and bolt nuts) into a container
and shook the container. This barely works at all. I bought an
expensive blender. The shaft broke inside where it cannot be gotten
to. I have run the cubes under that tap. This works fast but I don't
like having to make twice the ice. -------- One of you has an idea of
something I can put on the kitchen counter or on the garage work bench
and crush 10 or 12 cubes of ice with one pull of a lever or one blow
of a hammer or some thing-a-ma-bob I can by in hardware or automotive
store. Please give me your ideas even if you haven't had time to
prove them. I would really appreciate it. R E Williams, Surrey,
British Columbia

How about a hammer?

With this link, you could be supplied for at least a year or so given your
ability to break stuff. grin

http://www.salvex.com/listings/listi...331108c7489970
--

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.

V8013-R

Posted to rec.woodworking

[...]

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...CRX2CYMT84DDBM
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

I can put ice cubes into a plastic bag and swing it down to the
floor. It works -- one big problem -- the second swing breaks the
plastic bag.

Pick up one ice cube, rap soundly with the rounded portion of the
tablespoon, dump in bucket.

The long arm of an iced-tea spoon gives a better mechanical advantage.
Fast-moving light impactor gets you to cracked ice with minimum
energy input, as long as the ice cube is cold and brittle.

You can also get an ice shaver, lots of 'em on the market for
slush drinks (or juleps for the grownups) - it's just a bucket with a
plane-like knife blade on the bottom and a cranked wheel of icespikes
on top.
Posted to rec.woodworking

You can also get an ice shaver, lots of 'em on the market for
slush drinks (or juleps for the grownups) - it's just a bucket with a
plane-like knife blade on the bottom and a cranked wheel of icespikes
on top.

The ice scraper has been around a long time.... used for making snow
cones (as I recall) and the like, as you noted.

A snow cone machine is similar. The inside scrapers are blades, about
2" long, mounted each side of a disc, similar to looking at the bottom
of a hand planer. Load the ice in one end and a plunger is used to
push the ice through the shaving disc, which is spun by a motor.

Sonny

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sep 14, 2:07*pm, Sonny wrote:
You can also get an ice shaver, lots of 'em on the market for
slush drinks (or juleps for the grownups) - it's just a bucket with a
plane-like knife blade on the bottom and a cranked wheel of icespikes
on top.

The ice scraper has been around a long time.... used for making snow
cones (as I recall) and the like, as you noted.

A snow cone machine is similar. *The inside scrapers are blades, about
2" long, mounted each side of a disc, similar to looking at the bottom
of a hand planer. *Load the ice in one end and a plunger is used to
push the ice through the shaving disc, which is spun by a motor.

Sonny

He wants smaller cubes, crushed ice, totally different from shaved
iced/snow.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9/14/2011 1:49 PM, Robatoy wrote:

He wants smaller cubes, crushed ice, totally different from shaved
iced/snow.

Installed a dedicated $2k shaved ice maker in a recent kitchen remodel.

I would say wretched excess, but I want one too.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010

Posted to rec.woodworking

RadioDays wrote the following:
I can put ice cubes into a plastic bag and swing it down to the
floor. It works -- one big problem -- the second swing breaks the
plastic bag. I put heavy nuts (nut and bolt nuts) into a container
and shook the container. This barely works at all. I bought an
expensive blender. The shaft broke inside where it cannot be gotten
to. I have run the cubes under that tap. This works fast but I don't
like having to make twice the ice. -------- One of you has an idea of
something I can put on the kitchen counter or on the garage work bench
and crush 10 or 12 cubes of ice with one pull of a lever or one blow
of a hammer or some thing-a-ma-bob I can by in hardware or automotive
store. Please give me your ideas even if you haven't had time to
prove them. I would really appreciate it. R E Williams, Surrey,
British Columbia

http://www.chow.com/food-news/54266/...for-cocktails/
A 24 second video.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to rec.woodworking

In article , Kerry
Montgomery wrote:

The father of a friend of mine was out on the sidewalk with a gunny sack
(burlap bag) with a block of ice in it. He was swinging it back and forth
against the sidewalk when a car went by. He said loudly,"God damn kittens!"

You owe me a new keyboard... ROTFLMAO!
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sep 14, 4:10*pm, Swingman wrote:
On 9/14/2011 1:49 PM, Robatoy wrote:

He wants smaller cubes, crushed ice, totally different from shaved
iced/snow.

Installed a dedicated $2k shaved ice maker in a recent kitchen remodel.

I would say wretched excess, but I want one too.

--www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010
KarlC@ (the obvious)http://gplus.to/ewoodshop

Yabbut.....for a righteous single malt? I am sooo lucky to have a
friend who has the financial wherewithal and curiousity to be buying
some outrageous scotch at prices which would give anybody with a Dutch
heart a coronary.
He hates to drink alone...God bless him....
A few drops of mineral water to awake a single malt is de rigueur.

I am soooo fighting NOT to become a scotch 'aficionado' because I
dislike almost all 'aficionados'. But I like that ****.

But ICE??????? For a soda, who cares. To plunge your pecker in after
round 5..okay. But, like Jackie Gleason said after the bartender asked
if he wanted ice in his drink: "I am here to drink, not to skate."
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9/14/2011 3:53 PM, Robatoy wrote:

I am soooo fighting NOT to become a scotch 'aficionado' because I
dislike almost all 'aficionados'. But I like that ****.

As long as it's a single malt, and one word: Laphroaig

Too bad you can't buy the 15 year old any longer. That was my favorite
Scotch.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010
Posted to rec.woodworking

Robatoy wrote:

Yabbut.....for a righteous single malt? I am sooo lucky to have a
friend who has the financial wherewithal and curiousity to be buying
some outrageous scotch at prices which would give anybody with a Dutch
heart a coronary.
He hates to drink alone...God bless him....
A few drops of mineral water to awake a single malt is de rigueur.

I am soooo fighting NOT to become a scotch 'aficionado' because I
dislike almost all 'aficionados'. But I like that ****.

But ICE??????? For a soda, who cares. To plunge your pecker in after
round 5..okay. But, like Jackie Gleason said after the bartender asked
if he wanted ice in his drink: "I am here to drink, not to skate."
-------------------------------
The scotch doesn't exist that can't be improved with a splash of
drambuie.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

--------------------------------------
"Dave Balderstone" wrote:

You owe me a new keyboard... ROTFLMAO!

----------------------------------
Where I grew up, any cat more 1/4 mile from a barn was shot on the
spot.

No self respecting cat is going to walk away from a bowl of fresh milk
morning and night and a diet of fresh killed mice.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9/13/2011 11:59 PM, Kerry Montgomery wrote:
"Steve wrote in message
[...]

now THAT's funny, right there, i don't care who you are.

--
Steve Barker
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wednesday, September 14, 2011 1:53:06 PM UTC-7, Robatoy wrote:
On Sep 14, 4:10*pm, Swingman wrote:

Yabbut.....for a righteous single malt? ...
I am soooo fighting NOT to become a scotch 'aficionado' because I
dislike almost all 'aficionados'. But I like that ****.

But ICE???????

You Scotch drinkers are all missing something: at the right temperature,
a mint leaf can do amazing things to a simple oak-flavored Bourbon.

Besides, Bourbon is domestic, I can afford it. Ditto mint.
For a good Scotch, all I can afford is the splash of branch water...
Posted to rec.woodworking

In article om,
Lew Hodgett wrote:
...snipped...
Where I grew up, any cat more 1/4 mile from a barn was shot on the
spot.

No self respecting cat is going to walk away from a bowl of fresh milk
morning and night and a diet of fresh killed mice.

If it was a tomcat, a hike of a mile or 2 would not be unusual to get
to the nearest female in heat.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9/15/2011 5:55 PM, Larry W wrote:
In raweb.com,
Lew wrote:
...snipped...
Where I grew up, any cat more 1/4 mile from a barn was shot on the
spot.

No self respecting cat is going to walk away from a bowl of fresh milk
morning and night and a diet of fresh killed mice.

If it was a tomcat, a hike of a mile or 2 would not be unusual to get
to the nearest female in heat.

Not just limited to tom cats. Half-way 'round the world in some cases.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 15 Sep 2011 19:22:09 -0500, Swingman wrote:

On 9/15/2011 5:55 PM, Larry W wrote:
In raweb.com,
Lew wrote:
...snipped...
Where I grew up, any cat more 1/4 mile from a barn was shot on the
spot.

No self respecting cat is going to walk away from a bowl of fresh milk
morning and night and a diet of fresh killed mice.

If it was a tomcat, a hike of a mile or 2 would not be unusual to get
to the nearest female in heat.

Not just limited to tom cats. Half-way 'round the world in some cases.

You _did_?

P.S: I take women around the world when I get a chance. No travel
involved. wink, wink, nudge, nudge, knowwhatImean?

--
Self-development is a higher duty than self-sacrifice.
-- Elizabeth Cady Stanton
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sep 14, 7:16*pm, Swingman wrote:
On 9/14/2011 3:53 PM, Robatoy wrote:

I am soooo fighting NOT to become a scotch 'aficionado' because I
dislike almost all 'aficionados'. *But I like that ****.

As long as it's a single malt, and one word: Laphroaig

Too bad you can't buy the 15 year old any longer. That was my favorite
Scotch.

--www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010
KarlC@ (the obvious)http://gplus.to/ewoodshop

Laphroaig? Really? Last time I had some it tasted like drinking
liquid smoke - mixed with rock salt. Glenlivet 21 when I'm feeling
flush... Balvenie Doublewood 12 yr or Redbreast Irish Potstill 12 yr
for daily consumption.

My opinion.

D'ohBoy
Posted to rec.woodworking

In article ,
Swingman wrote:
As long as it's a single malt, and one word: Laphroaig

Ahhh, eyes glaze over beautiful stuff but Ardbeg is nice too.

Too bad you can't buy the 15 year old any longer.

well you can - at a price - around 100 quid the last time I looked.

--
Stuart Winsor

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 19 Sep 2011 23:00:54 +0100, Stuart
wrote:

In article ,
Swingman wrote:
As long as it's a single malt, and one word: Laphroaig

Ahhh, eyes glaze over beautiful stuff but Ardbeg is nice too.

Too bad you can't buy the 15 year old any longer.

well you can - at a price - around 100 quid the last time I looked.

Yabbut, what does she loo...oops, never mind.

--
A sound mind in a sound body is a short but full description
of a happy state in this world.