Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Resaw some 8/4 Cherry in Southern Arizona

I need to find a mill or the like to resaw some 8/4 Cherry. 6" to 12"
wide. 6' to 12' long. Tried the usual such as Home Depot, Lowes and
such. One place in Phoenix referred me to two places here in Tucson
but neither place was interested in doing any resawing.

So any suggestions will be appreciated.

Thajmks
Bob AZ
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Bob AZ" wrote:

I need to find a mill or the like to resaw some 8/4 Cherry. 6" to 12"
wide. 6' to 12' long. Tried the usual such as Home Depot, Lowes and
such. One place in Phoenix referred me to two places here in Tucson
but neither place was interested in doing any resawing.

So any suggestions will be appreciated.

---------------------------------
Time to buy a bandsaw, maybe?

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9/3/2011 3:06 AM, Lew Hodgett wrote:
"Bob AZ" wrote:

I need to find a mill or the like to resaw some 8/4 Cherry. 6" to 12"
wide. 6' to 12' long. Tried the usual such as Home Depot, Lowes and
such. One place in Phoenix referred me to two places here in Tucson
but neither place was interested in doing any resawing.

So any suggestions will be appreciated.

---------------------------------
Time to buy a bandsaw, maybe?

Lew

Too big for the usual bandsaw. What he could use is an Alaska Sawmill
which can cut them to dimension without lifting the beams.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Check with your local tree cutting services. They may know of a
nearby sawmill, even if it's a personal one.

Or start he http://www.google.com/search?sourcei...Tucson%2c+ AZ

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

Hello Bob,

I wood google for local woodworking clubs. (pun intended)

And / or seek assistance at www.owwm.org (a part of vintagemachines.org)

Mike in Ohio

On 09/03/2011 02:59 AM, Bob AZ wrote:
I need to find a mill or the like to resaw some 8/4 Cherry. 6" to 12"
wide. 6' to 12' long. Tried the usual such as Home Depot, Lowes and
such. One place in Phoenix referred me to two places here in Tucson
but neither place was interested in doing any resawing.

So any suggestions will be appreciated.

Thajmks
Bob AZ

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9/3/2011 2:59 AM, Bob AZ wrote:
I need to find a mill or the like to resaw some 8/4 Cherry. 6" to 12"
wide. 6' to 12' long. Tried the usual such as Home Depot, Lowes and
such. One place in Phoenix referred me to two places here in Tucson
but neither place was interested in doing any resawing.

So any suggestions will be appreciated.

If you have a lot of it, contact Wood-Mizer Customer Service
(www.wood-mizer.com), and they can put you in touch with owners of their
mills in your area.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Time to buy a bandsaw, maybe?

Lew

In Albuquerque, NM: http://www.govliquidation.com/auctio...tionId=4685220
Posted to rec.woodworking

How about putting a small classified ad in the newspaper?

Pete Stanaitis
------------------

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 03 Sep 2011 07:04:05 -0500, godsword wrote:

Too big for the usual bandsaw. What he could use is an Alaska Sawmill
which can cut them to dimension without lifting the beams.

Oh? Jet's 18" bandsaw has 12.25" resaw capability. For that matter, my
low end Rikon 14" bandsaw can resaw 13". What's your definition of usual?

Posted to rec.woodworking

---------------------------------
Time to buy a bandsaw, maybe?

Lew

I have two of them and the use of several more but the cut it too wide/
tall to manage. I would like to keep the keep manageable so as to get
3 boards/slabs from each board. And also to keep the after cutting
planning more manageable.

Thanks for the response.
Bob AZ

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9/3/2011 12:13 PM, Larry Blanchard wrote:
On Sat, 03 Sep 2011 07:04:05 -0500, godsword wrote:

Too big for the usual bandsaw. What he could use is an Alaska Sawmill
which can cut them to dimension without lifting the beams.

Oh? Jet's 18" bandsaw has 12.25" resaw capability. For that matter, my
low end Rikon 14" bandsaw can resaw 13". What's your definition of usual?

Tell me son, how do you propose to hold that 12 foot long timber the
size of a tree while you feed it through your bandsaw. Do you have an
understanding of how heavy that size beam would be?? It is NOT the
height it is the Length plus the height.

Now if you happen to have a twelve foot roller table both input side and
the output side, then I am sure that you could do it. But how many of us
has such equipment in our shops.

Jack
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9/3/2011 2:32 PM, godsword wrote:
On 9/3/2011 12:13 PM, Larry Blanchard wrote:
On Sat, 03 Sep 2011 07:04:05 -0500, godsword wrote:

Too big for the usual bandsaw. What he could use is an Alaska Sawmill
which can cut them to dimension without lifting the beams.

Oh? Jet's 18" bandsaw has 12.25" resaw capability. For that matter, my
low end Rikon 14" bandsaw can resaw 13". What's your definition of usual?

Tell me son, how do you propose to hold that 12 foot long timber the
size of a tree while you feed it through your bandsaw. Do you have an
understanding of how heavy that size beam would be??

Do *you*?

Let's do the math: 8/4 thickness x 12" width x 12' length = 2 cubic
feet, or about 80-85 pounds, which is hardly unmanageable if you have a
helper or two.

It is NOT the height it is the Length plus the height.

Now if you happen to have a twelve foot roller table both input side and
the output side, then I am sure that you could do it. But how many of us
has such equipment in our shops.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 3 Sep 2011 10:15:10 -0500, "Pete S"
wrote:

How about putting a small classified ad in the newspaper?

Or call the sawmill manufacturers to see if they can refer you to one
of their buyers. Some guys want referrals to help defer the cost of
the mill.

--
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable
one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore,
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sep 3, 11:32 am, godsword wrote:
On 9/3/2011 12:13 PM, Larry Blanchard wrote: On Sat, 03 Sep 2011 07:04:05 -0500, godsword wrote:

Too big for the usual bandsaw. What he could use is an Alaska Sawmill
which can cut them to dimension without lifting the beams.

Oh? Jet's 18" bandsaw has 12.25" resaw capability. For that matter, my
low end Rikon 14" bandsaw can resaw 13". What's your definition of usual?

Tell me son, how do you propose to hold that 12 foot long timber the
size of a tree while you feed it through your bandsaw. Do you have an
understanding of how heavy that size beam would be?? It is NOT the
height it is the Length plus the height.

Now if you happen to have a twelve foot roller table both input side and
the output side, then I am sure that you could do it. But how many of us
has such equipment in our shops.

Jack

These things are do-able with roller stands and a helper. The problem
is, this stuff is rough and 10-12 inches wide, so his yield suffers.
Bob and I just resawed a 2x10x6 footer+ and the second board resawn
was about 4 feet long. It ran about 2-3 inches a minute. The saw
_was_ screaming some.