Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Vera Mahina: Sawdust and Formaldehyde

Always wear a mask to avoid inhaling toxic fumes, plywood, particle
board, strand-board, etc, all contain formaldehyde: thus, wearing a
mask is not a choice, it is a necessity.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Tara Hafiza wrote:
Always wear a mask to avoid inhaling toxic fumes, plywood, particle
board, strand-board, etc, all contain formaldehyde: thus, wearing a
mask is not a choice, it is a necessity.

My two experiences hand-sanding particle board and plywood are
consistent with your comments. It "ruined my day" both times.
Even being in the same room with freshly assembled Sauder furniture
makes me sweat (though I'm typing at a 17 year old Sauder desk now). I
may have always had these sensitivies but they got worse with age (or
exposure?). Doctor said I was just born 50 years too late...

Anyway--I think you're giving good advice.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Bill wrote:
Tara Hafiza wrote:
Always wear a mask to avoid inhaling toxic fumes, plywood, particle
board, strand-board, etc, all contain formaldehyde: thus, wearing a
mask is not a choice, it is a necessity.

My two experiences hand-sanding particle board and plywood are
consistent with your comments. It "ruined my day" both times.
Even being in the same room with freshly assembled Sauder furniture
makes me sweat (though I'm typing at a 17 year old Sauder desk now). I may
have always had these sensitivies but they got worse with age
(or exposure?). Doctor said I was just born 50 years too late...

Anyway--I think you're giving good advice.

Except that not all plywood contains formaldehyde.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

Mike Marlow wrote:
Bill wrote:
Tara Hafiza wrote:
Always wear a mask to avoid inhaling toxic fumes, plywood, particle
board, strand-board, etc, all contain formaldehyde: thus, wearing a
mask is not a choice, it is a necessity.

My two experiences hand-sanding particle board and plywood are
consistent with your comments. It "ruined my day" both times.
Even being in the same room with freshly assembled Sauder furniture
makes me sweat (though I'm typing at a 17 year old Sauder desk now). I may
have always had these sensitivies but they got worse with age
(or exposure?). Doctor said I was just born 50 years too late...

Anyway--I think you're giving good advice.

Except that not all plywood contains formaldehyde.

Yes, thank goodness. I'm looking forward to trying that stuff (though
I'll have to $$Pay$$ a little more for it!