Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Wood Plugs

For many years I have use plugs to cover up countersunk screws. I have
always made my own plugs and my early plugs were straight cut and glued
in with either white or yellow carpenters glue. They were never
noticeable unless you were looking for them.

Ten or fifteen years ago I started using tapered plug cutters but I
developed an odd phenomenon, although they fit tighter a glue ring
showed and the plugs became more noticeable.

So why does the ring now but not way back when? One reason could be
that I now use TBIII which dries to a dark brown vs the yellow and white
glues that almost dry clear.

The Snappy guys at the last WW show sell tapered plug cutters and advise
to remedy the ring problem by not using glue at all. They suggest
relying on the the tight fit to hold the plug in place.

So the question I have is if the plug will truly stay in place with out
glue over time? Does any one have any long term experience with using
tapered plugs with no glue?
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote:

[...]

-------------------------------------
SFWIW.

Spend any time around a boat yard and one of the first things you
learn is that bungs are held in place with varnish, not glue.

Of course, stain is verboten.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/9/2011 5:59 PM, Lew Hodgett wrote:
"Leon" wrote:

[...]

Would that be the varnish that you use as a finish or do you use the
varnish in the hole to be plugged?
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote:

Would that be the varnish that you use as a finish or do you use the
varnish in the hole to be plugged?

-------------------------------------
Dip the plug in the varnish, then set it in the hole with a hammer.

Think of it as an alternate to glue.

Use a pair of needle nose pliers to handle plugs.

Cuts down on the mess.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/9/2011 8:02 PM, Lew Hodgett wrote:
"Leon" wrote:

Would that be the varnish that you use as a finish or do you use the
varnish in the hole to be plugged?

-------------------------------------
Dip the plug in the varnish, then set it in the hole with a hammer.

Think of it as an alternate to glue.

Use a pair of needle nose pliers to handle plugs.

Cuts down on the mess.

Lew

Excelent! Thank you Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote:

Excelent! Thank you Lew

Find an electronics place that sells bits and pieces.

They will have all kinds of specialty clamps and tools to hold
components for soldering on PC boards.

I have a spring loaded, right angle pair of pliers with needle nose
jaws.

Gotta be 50+ years old.

Have fun.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Aug 9, 9:02*pm, "Lew Hodgett" wrote:
"Leon" wrote:
Would that be the varnish that you use as a finish or do you use the
varnish in the hole to be plugged?

-------------------------------------
Dip the plug in the varnish, then set it in the hole with a hammer.

Think of it as an alternate to glue.

Use a pair of needle nose pliers to handle plugs.

Cuts down on the mess.

Lew

Shear joint. Most anything will hold well.
Posted to rec.woodworking
10x 10x is offline

In article om, Lew
Hodgett wrote:

Of course, stain is verboten.

Unless, of course, you're plugging cherry ;-)

Joe
Posted to rec.woodworking

"10x" wrote in message
In article om, Lew
Hodgett wrote:

Of course, stain is verboten.

Unless, of course, you're plugging cherry ;-)

Joe

The plugs stay in much better if you use the same primer paint on them. The
seams blend in better after sanding before the final coat.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/11/2011 9:30 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

"10x" wrote in message
In article om, Lew
Hodgett wrote:

Of course, stain is verboten.

Unless, of course, you're plugging cherry ;-)

Joe

The plugs stay in much better if you use the same primer paint on them.
The seams blend in better after sanding before the final coat.

May be I could hold them in with a screw! I'll counter sink the screw
hiding plug to accept a retainer screw and putty over that! ;~)

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tuesday, August 9, 2011 6:40:39 PM UTC-4, Leon wrote:
For many years I have use plugs to cover up countersunk screws. I have
always made my own plugs and my early plugs were straight cut and glued
in with either white or yellow carpenters glue. They were never
noticeable unless you were looking for them.

Ten or fifteen years ago I started using tapered plug cutters but I
developed an odd phenomenon, although they fit tighter a glue ring
showed and the plugs became more noticeable.

Have you considered hide glue for the plug application? PVA glues
are not as finish-compatible, I hear.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/12/2011 10:19 AM, whit3rd wrote:
On Tuesday, August 9, 2011 6:40:39 PM UTC-4, Leon wrote:
For many years I have use plugs to cover up countersunk screws. I have
always made my own plugs and my early plugs were straight cut and glued
in with either white or yellow carpenters glue. They were never
noticeable unless you were looking for them.

Ten or fifteen years ago I started using tapered plug cutters but I
developed an odd phenomenon, although they fit tighter a glue ring
showed and the plugs became more noticeable.

Have you considered hide glue for the plug application? PVA glues
are not as finish-compatible, I hear.

I don't have a problem with the finish, the ring shows before the finish
goes on. I do wonder if the the ring might also be caused by crushed
wood fibers as the plug goes in more tightly.
Posted to rec.woodworking

In article , Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote:
On 8/12/2011 10:19 AM, whit3rd wrote:
On Tuesday, August 9, 2011 6:40:39 PM UTC-4, Leon wrote:
For many years I have use plugs to cover up countersunk screws. I have
always made my own plugs and my early plugs were straight cut and glued
in with either white or yellow carpenters glue. They were never
noticeable unless you were looking for them.

Ten or fifteen years ago I started using tapered plug cutters but I
developed an odd phenomenon, although they fit tighter a glue ring
showed and the plugs became more noticeable.

Have you considered hide glue for the plug application? PVA glues
are not as finish-compatible, I hear.

I don't have a problem with the finish, the ring shows before the finish
goes on. I do wonder if the the ring might also be caused by crushed
wood fibers as the plug goes in more tightly.

Sounds plausible. Is the problem more noticeable on light-colored woods? A
close look with a magnifying glass might also help determine the cause.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/14/2011 8:19 AM, Doug Miller wrote:
In articleSYydnVABvdztVdrTnZ2dnUVZ5vudnZ2d@giganews. com, Leonlcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote:
[...]

I think I will experiment, the magnifying glass is a good idea. I most
often notice the ring when using oak on oak. I used cherry plugs on oak
18 months ago and did not notice the problem but that stands to reason.
I plan on using walnut plugs on oak this coming week but I don't think
it will be an issue this time around either. Most noticeable when using
same color woods.

The crushed wood fiber may in fact be more of the problem. I seldom
coat the plug all around the perimeter and yet the ring shows up as
complete. Hummmmm.

Plugs Samantha Booth[_3_] UK diy 28 December 5th 08 06:10 PM
Using Oak Plugs Buck Turgidson Woodworking 11 March 23rd 07 10:53 PM
Rawl plugs / wall plugs - what's the secret? Peter Hucker UK diy 24 July 20th 05 01:45 AM
Buying pre-cut tapered wood plugs in the UK Niall Smart UK diy 1 March 8th 04 03:54 PM
Plugs Dan delaMare-Lyon UK diy 6 August 8th 03 07:48 PM