Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Plugs

Now I only know wiring as blue to the left brown to the right when doing a
plug. However today I have come accross and old clock with a black and red
wire

Any ideas in my theory where the red and black go?

Thanks all

Sam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Samantha Booth wrote:
Now I only know wiring as blue to the left brown to the right when
doing a plug. However today I have come accross and old clock with a
black and red wire

Any ideas in my theory where the red and black go?

Thanks all

Sam

Red = Brown

Black = Blue

Toby...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Samantha Booth wrote:

Now I only know wiring as blue to the left brown to the right when doing
a plug. However today I have come accross and old clock with a black and
red wire

Any ideas in my theory where the red and black go?

red = live = brown
black = neutral = blue
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Samantha Booth wrote:
Now I only know wiring as blue to the left brown to the right when doing
a plug. However today I have come accross and old clock with a black
and red wire

Any ideas in my theory where the red and black go?

A new plug should give the wiring colours for both the current and old.

However, line is brown or red, and neutral is blue or black.

--
*A snooze button is a poor substitute for no alarm clock at all *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 2 Dec 2008 09:49:39 -0000, "Samantha Booth"
wrote:

Now I only know wiring as blue to the left brown to the right when doing a
plug. However today I have come accross and old clock with a black and red
wire

The other answers have given you the correct info but I would suggest
using left and right is not the best way to look at things like this .
The connections in a plug are usually marked Live, Neutral and Earth.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 02 Dec 2008 11:27:06 +0000, Owain wrote:

If it runs backwards, reverse the wires :-)

B-) Indeed.

Synchronous motors run either way equally well. Start direction can be
fairly random. Decent clocks had a mechanism that "wound up" if the motor
started in reverse then kicked the motor into the correct direction.

I hope Samantha checks the thing carefully, red and black wires indicates
something fairly old. It will take very little power so the smallest fuse
possible is recomended, 1A or less...

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Samantha Booth wrote:
Now I only know wiring as blue to the left brown to the right when doing
a plug. However today I have come accross and old clock with a black and
red wire
Any ideas in my theory where the red and black go?

If it runs backwards, reverse the wires :-)

Owain

A mains clock .Can't remember the last time I encountered one of them
apart from bedside alarms ..lol
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 02 Dec 2008 12:50:09 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:

On Tue, 02 Dec 2008 11:27:06 +0000, Owain wrote:

If it runs backwards, reverse the wires :-)

B-) Indeed.

Synchronous motors run either way equally well. Start direction can be
fairly random. Decent clocks had a mechanism that "wound up" if the motor
started in reverse then kicked the motor into the correct direction.

I hope Samantha checks the thing carefully, red and black wires indicates
something fairly old. It will take very little power so the smallest fuse
possible is recomended, 1A or less...

clock power points were usually 2amp
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2 Dec, 09:49, "Samantha Booth"
wrote:
Now I only know wiring as blue to the left brown to the right when doing a
plug.

Brown = Red = Live, which should be the only one with a fuse.

Don't rely on this being on the left, especially with old or unusual
kit.

Blue = Black = Neutral. This should not be fused, and that also
includes old kit with fuses on both sides.

Any ideas in my theory where the red and black go?

If that's red & black flexible cable (not just clock innards), then
I'd tend to throw it out! It'll be old and the insulation is likely to
be perished.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Samantha Booth wrote:
Now I only know wiring as blue to the left brown to the right when
doing a plug.

Blimey. How young are you?

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article
,
Andy Dingley wrote:
If that's red & black flexible cable (not just clock innards), then
I'd tend to throw it out! It'll be old and the insulation is likely to
be perished.

Lots and lots of PVC flex had red and black.

--
*No word in the English language rhymes with month, orange, silver,purple

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article
,
Andy Dingley wrote:
If that's red & black flexible cable (not just clock innards), then
I'd tend to throw it out! It'll be old and the insulation is likely to
be perished.

Lots and lots of PVC flex had red and black.

yes. And theres some lovely historic kit about. Reminds me of the hot
plate where the flex conductors each had their own individual
porcelain electrical connectors, and there were 3x bare 4mm pins
sticking out of the appliance. No matter how you connected the flex
you had a live pin sticking out.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2 Dec, 17:39, "Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:
In article
,
* *Andy Dingley wrote:

If that's red & black flexible cable (not just clock innards), then
I'd tend to throw it out! It'll be old and the insulation is likely to
be perished.

Lots and lots of PVC flex had red and black.

Not recently though, and I'm taking "perished" in a broad sense to
include any materials that have failed through age, not to imply that
they're necessarily natural rubber.

My new workshop is an ex-bakery and has effectively no re-usable
electrics. I don't know what's been spilled on some of this stuff, but
there's plenty of PVC in there that's downright _gooey_, not just
tired.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article
,
Andy Dingley wrote:
If that's red & black flexible cable (not just clock innards), then
I'd tend to throw it out! It'll be old and the insulation is likely to
be perished.

Lots and lots of PVC flex had red and black.

Not recently though, and I'm taking "perished" in a broad sense to
include any materials that have failed through age, not to imply that
they're necessarily natural rubber.

Well any flex should be inspected reqularly - and plug changing should
prompt you to do this. But because it's red and black doesn't say it will
be perished - perhaps especially on something that takes virtually no
current and is unlikely to have suffered abuse.

--
*INDECISION is the key to FLEXIBILITY *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Samantha Booth" wrote in message
Now I only know wiring as blue to the left brown to the right when doing a
plug. However today I have come accross and old clock with a black and red
wire

Any ideas in my theory where the red and black go?

Thanks all

Sam

Thanks All

Well before I put the plug on I removed the back off it and glad I did it
was a accident waiting to happen and has been returned to the seller now.
Thanks all, I was cautious when you all said it was old so checked it out
and glad I did.

Thanks again folks
Sam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
"Samantha Booth" writes:

"Samantha Booth" wrote in message
Now I only know wiring as blue to the left brown to the right when doing a
plug. However today I have come accross and old clock with a black and red
wire

Any ideas in my theory where the red and black go?

Thanks all

Sam

Thanks All

Well before I put the plug on I removed the back off it and glad I did it
was a accident waiting to happen and has been returned to the seller now.
Thanks all, I was cautious when you all said it was old so checked it out
and glad I did.

If you only just bought it, and it wasn't sold with a 13A plug
already on it, the seller was breaking the law anyway.

Most sellers are really careful about electrical safety of secondhand
appliances, because this is something trading standards do regularly
check up on. Second-hand shops pretty much either need to get everything
PAT tested, or decide they won't stock electrical goods.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
Samantha Booth wrote:
Now I only know wiring as blue to the left brown to the right when doing
a plug. However today I have come accross and old clock with a black and
red wire
Any ideas in my theory where the red and black go?

If it runs backwards, reverse the wires :-)

Owain

A mains clock .Can't remember the last time I encountered one of them
apart from bedside alarms *..lol

When removing an old mantelpiece at our house, I came across a funny
round socket with the words "Clock" on it. It looked like some sort
of custom connector used to attach mains powered clocks to the wall
and to the power at the same time. I think it was a Wylex device, it
was in black-ish brown-ish bakerlite. And when I tested it it was
still live, wired above the gas fire.......

Matt
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04 Dec 2008 13:22:26 GMT, Andrew Gabriel wrote:

If you only just bought it, and it wasn't sold with a 13A plug already
on it, the seller was breaking the law anyway.

Even from a private seller at a car boot or over eBay?

Certainly new goods must have a fitted plug and as you say the Elfin
Safety lot have effectively stopped many charity shops selling anything
electrical.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andrew Gabriel" wrote in message
In article ,
"Samantha Booth" writes:

[...]

I didn't know that It was from eBay. its been returned now anyway.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article et,
"Dave Liquorice" writes:
On 04 Dec 2008 13:22:26 GMT, Andrew Gabriel wrote:

If you only just bought it, and it wasn't sold with a 13A plug already
on it, the seller was breaking the law anyway.

Even from a private seller at a car boot or over eBay?

Yes, absolutely.

Certainly new goods must have a fitted plug and as you say the Elfin
Safety lot have effectively stopped many charity shops selling anything
electrical.

Like I said, it depends on them being able to be tested.
Some charity shops find an electrician who's happy to do the
odd free test for them. Other shops will get one of the staff
qualified to do PAT testing. You don't need to be an electrician
to do this -- the recognised C&G exam is intended to be achievable
by someone who knows how wire a plug and knows the difference
between milliohms and megohms (which is the bit most of the
real electricians actually struggle with).

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Owain writes:
Dave Liquorice wrote:
On 04 Dec 2008 13:22:26 GMT, Andrew Gabriel wrote:
If you only just bought it, and it wasn't sold with a 13A plug already
on it, the seller was breaking the law anyway.

Even from a private seller at a car boot or over eBay?

AIUI yes.

Certainly new goods must have a fitted plug and as you say the Elfin
Safety lot have effectively stopped many charity shops selling anything
electrical.

The alternative is to remove the plug, thus making the item
non-functional and describing it as a "collectable" for "decorative"
purposes only.

No, that's still illegal.

You have to remove at least the flex, and some people say you
have to strip out other electrical parts, such as lampholders.
An antique shop near me has to do that with antique lights.
You get the electrical bits in a separate bag, a bit like the
chicken giblets. The other option is to get them refurbished
so they can be safely used and legally sold.

--
Andrew Gabriel

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Andy Burns writes:
wrote:

When removing an old mantelpiece at our house, I came across a funny
round socket with the words "Clock" on it. It looked like some sort
of custom connector used to attach mains powered clocks to the wall
and to the power at the same time.

Anything like this?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Domesti...lock_connector

I have a couple of surface mount versions of those knocking around.
I used to use them for feeding kitchen cupboard lighting before the
Klik plugs become widespread. These take standard BS1362 plug fuses.

My parents have an older style MK BESA-box mounted one (no earth) in
their living room, which is used for the Christmas tree lights each year.
That takes the smaller sized clock fuse which came in 0.5A, 1A, 2A versions
(similar but not the same as 20mm fuses, and I can't recall the BS number).

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 05 Dec 2008 13:58:49 +0000, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

Alang wrote:

wrote:
Samantha Booth wrote:
Now I only know wiring as blue to the left brown to the right when doing
a plug. However today I have come accross and old clock with a black and
red wire
Any ideas in my theory where the red and black go?
If it runs backwards, reverse the wires :-)
Owain
A mains clock .Can't remember the last time I encountered one of them
apart from bedside alarms ..lol
When removing an old mantelpiece at our house, I came across a funny
round socket with the words "Clock" on it. It looked like some sort
of custom connector used to attach mains powered clocks to the wall
and to the power at the same time. I think it was a Wylex device, it
was in black-ish brown-ish bakerlite. And when I tested it it was
still live, wired above the gas fire.......

Yep. We had one of those in our house in the 50s. We had a Bakelite
clock connected to it. But we had a coal fire

Yes. we had one too. The socket was a spur of the (then) ultra new 'ring
main', with six 13A sockets on it It was a screw fastened plug with flex
in it that went to the clock but circa 194 made of new fangled WHITE
plastic. Nit the brown bakelite stuff.

Yes. Screw fastened plug to hold it in place.
The mains were a 5amp system using what may have been Northeastern
electric board proprietary plugs. They were brown cases on white base
with two offset blade conductors and a central hollow earth pin. I
have never seen any since the mid 60s.

Ah..the 50s. WHITE plugs, and Formica! How modern it all seemed.

One of the neighbours had a telephone