Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Plugs

Alang wrote:
On Thu, 4 Dec 2008 08:07:40 -0800 (PST),
wrote:

On Dec 2, 1:19 pm, wrote:
On Tue, 02 Dec 2008 11:27:06 +0000, Owain

wrote:
Samantha Booth wrote:
Now I only know wiring as blue to the left brown to the right when doing
a plug. However today I have come accross and old clock with a black and
red wire
Any ideas in my theory where the red and black go?
If it runs backwards, reverse the wires :-)
Owain
A mains clock .Can't remember the last time I encountered one of them
apart from bedside alarms ..lol

When removing an old mantelpiece at our house, I came across a funny
round socket with the words "Clock" on it. It looked like some sort
of custom connector used to attach mains powered clocks to the wall
and to the power at the same time. I think it was a Wylex device, it
was in black-ish brown-ish bakerlite. And when I tested it it was
still live, wired above the gas fire.......

Yep. We had one of those in our house in the 50s. We had a Bakelite
clock connected to it. But we had a coal fire

Yes. we had one too. The socket was a spur of the (then) ultra new 'ring
main', with six 13A sockets on it It was a screw fastened plug with flex
in it that went to the clock but circa 194 made of new fangled WHITE
plastic. Nit the brown bakelite stuff.

Ah..the 50s. WHITE plugs, and Formica! How modern it all seemed.