Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Frame and Panel Capillary !!

Popular wisdom has it that inset panels should be stained/dyed before
building the frame in order to avoid witness lines as the wood moves with
ambient humidity. But switching to water-based dye, I just discovered that
panels can be safely colored after construction, as capillary action will
readily move the dye well into the covered portions--all the way to the very
edge of the panel! This may not work with more viscous stains. Water-based
dyes also avoids the whole splotchiness business since wood is quite good at
absorbing water, no need to wipe. In my case, I am dealing with cherry dye
on maple. I don't quite have my TransTint formula perfected, but I am
getting close.

I am sure this has long been obvious to most, but I just discovered it and
thought to report it in case a similarly daft person is pondering this very
issue...

Cheers, Shawn

PS: I also discovered that large "catheter" syringes and a few mason jars
takes all the mess out of dealing with finish.