Tattooed and Dusty

Default Frame and Panel Question

Hi All,
So I am starting or rather continuing to work on the design for a large
dresser that I will be my next project. I plan to use solid wood
construction throughout and am wondering about the back of the case. I
intend to use frame and panel style inserted into a rabbet in the case.

My question is there a size of panel that is too large? The overall
dimensions for the case are going to 60" x 36". I was planning on
dividing the back into two panels, with a somewhat large frame. This
would make each panel about 24" x 30" or so. If thius too large? Or am
I being overly cautious?

Thanks in advance for the wisdom

Andrew

George

"Tattooed and Dusty" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi All,
So I am starting or rather continuing to work on the design for a large
dresser that I will be my next project. I plan to use solid wood
construction throughout and am wondering about the back of the case. I
intend to use frame and panel style inserted into a rabbet in the case.

My question is there a size of panel that is too large? The overall
dimensions for the case are going to 60" x 36". I was planning on
dividing the back into two panels, with a somewhat large frame. This
would make each panel about 24" x 30" or so. If thius too large? Or am
I being overly cautious?

Thanks in advance for the wisdom

You're making dust frames too? If so, single panel, rabbeted on the edges
and tacked to dust frames would be just fine. More places secured, more
structural stiffening supplied.

Ken

I would use at least 3 panels or maybe even 4, this would allow for the
wood that you will have with that large of a span, wood will move approx.
1/4" for every 12" of width. When you use fewer panels , you might expose
the end of your tenons, as the wood contracts , or if your wood is on the
damp side it could push your joint apart.

Ken