Posted to rec.woodworking

Default AC in shop (was A Prognostication)

Bill wrote:
John wrote:
If you use an AC, you are going to want to make sure
you keep it running and or control the humidity after you turn it
off. Think about a glass of ice water. If your iron is cold from the
AC and if warm humidity air finds it's way into the shop when you
turn off the AC you have problems. Humidity by it self is not as
much of a problem as when it condenses. You are going to have to
keep the warm humid air away from the cool iron so opening the big
garage door is going to work against you.

Thank you for mentioning this. The "condensation issue" had not
occurred to me.

Are there similar "hidden" downsides, that one would want to be aware
of, to using a heater in the winter?

Yes Bill - and you will investigate those thouroughly - even if they're not
real.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

Bill wrote in
:

Thank you for mentioning this. The "condensation issue" had not
occurred to me.

Are there similar "hidden" downsides, that one would want to be aware
of, to using a heater in the winter?

The only one I can think of is cost. Not so much operating cost, but
the cost of new materials to keep you busy. Then, after a few days of
working on one project, you'll realize how inferior a tool is and look
to replace it. Soon that old B&D jigsaw (hold the saw steady and move
the wood up and down) gives way to a new Bosch (Good investment) and the
old Skil sander has to be replaced with Festool and vacuum (Look at
combo kits).

The only possible issue with a heater in winter is lack of humidity.
Your tools won't care, but you will. The good news is humdifiers are
fairly inexpensive and easy to take care of. One with a big tank can be
left to run for days at a time.

I've got in-floor heat in my garshop and love it. If you're building
new, I'd recommend it. No humidity issues, as I'm warming concrete and
not drying air. (Plus, the concrete acts as a big heat reserve so
opening the garage door doesn't cool the garage for hours.)

Puckdropper

Posted to rec.woodworking

Puckdropper wrote:

I've got in-floor heat in my garshop and love it. If you're building
new, I'd recommend it. No humidity issues, as I'm warming concrete
and not drying air. (Plus, the concrete acts as a big heat reserve so
opening the garage door doesn't cool the garage for hours.)

I think Puckdropper went the right way with in floor heating, and if I had
it to do again, I'd do the same. That said, I have a forced air furnace in
my garage and I'm in the cold northeast. Even in the worst of winter,
opening the door to do anything - even protracted efforts, only results in
minutes to get things back to normal temperatures. Not an issue of cooling
the garage for hours.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

Yeah, in dry cold winter months you may prematurely split your wood or glue
it dry, crossgrain and have it split in the more humid months when the
drying heat isn't on.

Just keep lots of green lumber in the shop....LOL
--------------------

"Bill" wrote in message ...
Thank you for mentioning this. The "condensation issue" had not occurred
to me.

Are there similar "hidden" downsides, that one would want to be aware
of, to using a heater in the winter?

Posted to rec.woodworking

Mike Marlow wrote:
Bill wrote:

Are there similar "hidden" downsides, that one would want to be aware
of, to using a heater in the winter?

Yes Bill - and you will investigate those thouroughly - even if they're not
real.

I thought you'd at least mention "finishing". Low humidity was a given.
Hard day at work? BTW, thouroughtly is spelled thoroughly. For real!
Investigate the dictionary and see.

Posted to rec.woodworking

One thing this thread may have evidenced:

It may be better to be tough than cool!

Of course, most of us probably already knew that,
and some have the luxury of being both tough and cool.

Bill

Posted to rec.woodworking

Bill wrote:
Mike Marlow wrote:
Bill wrote:

Are there similar "hidden" downsides, that one would want to be
aware of, to using a heater in the winter?

Yes Bill - and you will investigate those thouroughly - even if
they're not real.

I thought you'd at least mention "finishing". Low humidity was a
given. Hard day at work? BTW, thouroughtly is spelled thoroughly.
For real! Investigate the dictionary and see.

Typo correction accepted.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

"John" wrote

The comments on rust, A/C, and TopCote clearly has my interest. Big
question...A/C operating costs. Down here it would have to run 26-28 hours a
day. Open the garage door and the figure would jump to 30 hours/day. How big
of an A/C are you guys using?

Sorry for posting so late on a thread. I've been busy, lately.

My garage has a room above it. There is a main trunk (fiberboard) running
through part of the garage. I cut a hole, about 8" x 14" in the trunk. I
fit a board to sit on the inside of the trunk, a couple inches larger than
the hole. When I want AC or heat, I slide the board to the side to let the
air blow out the hole. When I am done, I slide the board over to cover the
hole.

Sometimes when the AC is not running very hard, I turn the air handler to
fan on setting, and it blows the air from the house into the garage at
whatever temperature the house thermostat is set at, until it cycles on,
then it blows colder (or more warm) than the setting.

All we are trying to do is take the edge off the heat, or cold. It works
well for me.

-- Jim in NC