Posted to rec.woodworking
Morgans Morgans is offline

Default AC in shop (was A Prognostication)

"John" wrote

The comments on rust, A/C, and TopCote clearly has my interest. Big
question...A/C operating costs. Down here it would have to run 26-28 hours a
day. Open the garage door and the figure would jump to 30 hours/day. How big
of an A/C are you guys using?

Sorry for posting so late on a thread. I've been busy, lately.

My garage has a room above it. There is a main trunk (fiberboard) running
through part of the garage. I cut a hole, about 8" x 14" in the trunk. I
fit a board to sit on the inside of the trunk, a couple inches larger than
the hole. When I want AC or heat, I slide the board to the side to let the
air blow out the hole. When I am done, I slide the board over to cover the
hole.

Sometimes when the AC is not running very hard, I turn the air handler to
fan on setting, and it blows the air from the house into the garage at
whatever temperature the house thermostat is set at, until it cycles on,
then it blows colder (or more warm) than the setting.

All we are trying to do is take the edge off the heat, or cold. It works
well for me.

-- Jim in NC