Posted to uk.d-i-y,rec.woodworking

Default Drawers need metal runners.

Inherited these *other-worldly* plastic runners on the sides of the kitchen
unit drawers and they are disintegrating after about thirty years of
frequent use.

http://tinypic.com/r/k0muc3/7

The kitchen drawers themselves are unfortunately plastic. The drawers are
8.5cm (3. 3/8")high and 48cm (19") deep and 45cm (17. 3/4")wide. (The front
panel with the handle is a bit higher and a bit wider).

I don't have the skills to make new wooden drawers myself, so shall start
looking around at units where perhaps I can buy them ready made?

My immediate and first task now is to buy some new substantial metal runners
for the sides of the drawers.

Could anyone recommend some very simple runners please, preferably ones easy
to fit. Thanks for any advice.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,rec.woodworking

On Thu, 28 Jul 2011 22:39:10 +0100, john thompson
wrote:

[...]

Have a look he

http://www.blum.com/gb/en/01/30/index.php

Download the available documents and study for a while. For most things,
precise fitting instructions are presented.

Might not be exactly what you want but it is a good place to get started.

Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y,rec.woodworking

"john thompson" wrote in message
Inherited these *other-worldly* plastic runners on the sides of the
kitchen unit drawers and they are disintegrating after about thirty years
of frequent use.

http://tinypic.com/r/k0muc3/7

The kitchen drawers themselves are unfortunately plastic. The drawers are
8.5cm (3. 3/8")high and 48cm (19") deep and 45cm (17. 3/4")wide. (The
front panel with the handle is a bit higher and a bit wider).

I don't have the skills to make new wooden drawers myself, so shall start
looking around at units where perhaps I can buy them ready made?

My immediate and first task now is to buy some new substantial metal
runners for the sides of the drawers.

Could anyone recommend some very simple runners please, preferably ones
easy to fit. Thanks for any advice.

You could do worse than look in B&Q warehouse. Decent choice in ours. 3 or 4
quid as I remember.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,rec.woodworking

In article ,
john thompson wrote:
Inherited these *other-worldly* plastic runners on the sides of the
kitchen unit drawers and they are disintegrating after about thirty
years of frequent use.

http://tinypic.com/r/k0muc3/7

The kitchen drawers themselves are unfortunately plastic. The drawers
are 8.5cm (3. 3/8")high and 48cm (19") deep and 45cm (17. 3/4")wide.
(The front panel with the handle is a bit higher and a bit wider).

I don't have the skills to make new wooden drawers myself, so shall
start looking around at units where perhaps I can buy them ready made?

My immediate and first task now is to buy some new substantial metal
runners for the sides of the drawers.

Could anyone recommend some very simple runners please, preferably ones
easy to fit. Thanks for any advice.

I had the same problem and bought metal ones from Screwfix. Slightly
fiddly to fit as they have less tolerance side to side as plastic. But
well worth the effort.

--
*I pretend to work. - they pretend to pay me.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,rec.woodworking

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
john thompson wrote:
[...]

I have just made some using
http://www.toolstation.com/documents...ue40/?hl=97709

If they are the correct depth you only need a base and the drawer front (and
a back if you don't buy the metal one).
You do need to be careful about cutting the base but its not hard or you
could get b&q to do it.

Drawers need metal runners. john thompson UK diy 4 July 29th 11 01:36 PM
Tips on tuning up wood-runners on old built-in drawers blueman Woodworking 5 February 10th 10 07:43 PM
Cut-and-Runners Have Won Wes[_2_] Metalworking 1 August 25th 08 03:10 AM
Desk runners? Where to buy mo UK diy 5 October 30th 07 02:16 AM
Who sells metal drawers for wood toolbox? mlambert Home Ownership 2 January 11th 05 09:26 PM