Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Cherry Bookcase

Finished my cherry bookcase. 1.5 months of work (took longer than
anticipated).

Comments critiques welcomed.

Photos:
http://www.garagewoodworks.com/pictu...nbookcase4.jpg
http://www.garagewoodworks.com/pictures/_MG_5865.jpg
http://www.garagewoodworks.com/pictures/_MG_5864.jpg

Video (Part 6 of build):
http://www.garagewoodworks.com/video.php
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 6/25/2011 1:57 PM, GarageWoodworks wrote:
Finished my cherry bookcase. 1.5 months of work (took longer than
anticipated).

Comments critiques welcomed.

Photos:
http://www.garagewoodworks.com/pictu...nbookcase4.jpg
http://www.garagewoodworks.com/pictures/_MG_5865.jpg
http://www.garagewoodworks.com/pictures/_MG_5864.jpg

Video (Part 6 of build):
http://www.garagewoodworks.com/video.php

Gorgeous piece of furniture, the grain is awesome! In two years it will
be even more spectacular.

Well done!

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010
Posted to rec.woodworking

GarageWoodworks wrote the following:
Finished my cherry bookcase. 1.5 months of work (took longer than
anticipated).

Comments critiques welcomed.

Photos:
http://www.garagewoodworks.com/pictu...nbookcase4.jpg
http://www.garagewoodworks.com/pictures/_MG_5865.jpg
http://www.garagewoodworks.com/pictures/_MG_5864.jpg

Video (Part 6 of build):
http://www.garagewoodworks.com/video.php

If I can say it, it looks pretty, :-)

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to rec.woodworking
No Name

On 6/25/2011 2:57 PM, GarageWoodworks wrote:
Finished my cherry bookcase. 1.5 months of work (took longer than
anticipated).

Comments critiques welcomed.

Photos:
http://www.garagewoodworks.com/pictu...nbookcase4.jpg
http://www.garagewoodworks.com/pictures/_MG_5865.jpg
http://www.garagewoodworks.com/pictures/_MG_5864.jpg

Video (Part 6 of build):
http://www.garagewoodworks.com/video.php

If I had one criticism, it would be that the holes for the shelf
adjustment would be less noticeable if they were in the sides of the
rear supports rather than the front. On the other hand, you could use
those purdy little brass cups and use it as an accent feature. Once
the unit is full of stuff, it will probably not even be noticed ... it
only stands out when empty.

Oh ... BTW ... NICE JOB !!!

__ Bøb __

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jun 25, 5:03*pm, "__ Bøb __" wrote:
[...]

My wife actually came up with the same 'criticism' after I made the
holes sigh. I might implement that suggestion next time. Thanks
for looking!
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 6/25/2011 1:57 PM, GarageWoodworks wrote:
Finished my cherry bookcase. 1.5 months of work (took longer than
anticipated).

Comments critiques welcomed.

Photos:
http://www.garagewoodworks.com/pictu...nbookcase4.jpg
http://www.garagewoodworks.com/pictures/_MG_5865.jpg
http://www.garagewoodworks.com/pictures/_MG_5864.jpg

Video (Part 6 of build):
http://www.garagewoodworks.com/video.php

Looks great!

Two things though that I consider to be over kill and one item that I
would have changed.

1. No need to glue and screw the bottom shelf in, one or the other is
enough.

2. The molding around the bottom shelf draws your eye away from the
rest of the unit and kinda sorta looks unfinished with the abrupt stop
at the front, too busy for an other wise elegantly simple shelf unit.

3. I would have placed the back shelf adjustment holes parallel with
the back/front so that they would be less noticeable.

Other than that the unit looks well balanced in stock sizing and the
wood looks great, better yet in a couple of years.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 25 Jun 2011 11:57:00 -0700 (PDT), GarageWoodworks

http://www.garagewoodworks.com/pictu...nbookcase4.jpg

Nice build. Construction is classic, but you can never go wrong with a
build like that. Nice clean lines, destined to be an heirloom.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Finished my cherry bookcase. 1.5 months of work (took longer than
anticipated).

Comments critiques welcomed.

Photos:
http://www.garagewoodworks.com/pictu...nbookcase4.jpg
http://www.garagewoodworks.com/pictures/_MG_5865.jpg
http://www.garagewoodworks.com/pictures/_MG_5864.jpg

Bless you, my son, for not putting bloody Wild Cherry stain and Poly
on the poor thing. Looking spiffy!

Interesting pegboard corner design for the shelf supports. Clean.

Video (Part 6 of build):
http://www.garagewoodworks.com/video.php

You just scared the absolute **** out of me, Brian. When you wiped the
dust off the unguarded, spinning jointer table, with your entire flat
hand just inches from the blades, my nutsack crinkled as the boys went
up inside to hide from the gore. Shame on you! Dust before starting
the jointer, but I hope you use a shop brush (or air gun) for the
task. It's much safer. /nanny (4:25 into the VI vid)

--
Invest in America: Buy a CONgresscritter today!
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jun 25, 2:57*pm, GarageWoodworks
wrote:
Finished my cherry bookcase. *1.5 months of work (took longer than
anticipated).

Comments critiques welcomed.

Photos:http://www.garagewoodworks.com/pictu...s/_MG_5864.jpg

Video (Part 6 of build):http://www.garagewoodworks.com/video.php

Thanks everyone! (If you see duplicate posts of mine I'm having
trouble with the google.)
Posted to rec.woodworking

"GarageWoodworks" wrote in message
Finished my cherry bookcase. 1.5 months of work (took longer than
anticipated).

Comments critiques welcomed.

Photos:
http://www.garagewoodworks.com/pictu...nbookcase4.jpg
http://www.garagewoodworks.com/pictures/_MG_5865.jpg
http://www.garagewoodworks.com/pictures/_MG_5864.jpg

Video (Part 6 of build):
http://www.garagewoodworks.com/video.php

Very nice! What color are you going to paint it?

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
Finished my cherry bookcase. *1.5 months of work (took longer than
anticipated).

Comments critiques welcomed.

Photos:http://www.garagewoodworks.com/pictu...s/_MG_5864.jpg

Video (Part 6 of build):http://www.garagewoodworks.com/video.php

Nice. Clean work that doesn't try to outdo the wood
is always the best.
Posted to rec.woodworking

GarageWoodworks wrote:

Finished my cherry bookcase. 1.5 months of work (took longer than
anticipated).

Comments critiques welcomed.

Photos:
http://www.garagewoodworks.com/pictu...nbookcase4.jpg
http://www.garagewoodworks.com/pictures/_MG_5865.jpg
http://www.garagewoodworks.com/pictures/_MG_5864.jpg

Video (Part 6 of build):
http://www.garagewoodworks.com/video.php

Nice job, don't ya love Cherry?

--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"

Man. 2010.1 Spring
KDE4.4
2.6.33.5-desktop-2mnb

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jun 25, 5:41*pm, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote:
[...]

Thanks Leon. I agree with you with the back shelf adjustment holes.
My wife suggested that AFTER I made the holes.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jun 25, 5:03*pm, "__ Bøb __" wrote:
[...]

Thank you. (my last post never showed up, so if this is posted again
- sorry).
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 6/26/2011 7:50 PM, GarageWoodworks wrote:
[...]

After about 200 completed pieces you start to remember this stuff. ;~)
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 6/25/2011 9:09 PM, Robatoy wrote:
On Jun 25, 2:57 pm,
wrote:
Finished my cherry bookcase. 1.5 months of work (took longer than
anticipated).

Comments critiques welcomed.

Photos:http://www.garagewoodworks.com/pictu...s/_MG_5864.jpg

Video (Part 6 of build):http://www.garagewoodworks.com/video.php

That's some of the nicer figured cherry I have seen lately.

NICE!!

Thank you sir!
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

Sorry for the scare!

--
Invest in America: Buy a CONgresscritter today!

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2011-06-25 18:49:55 -0400, GarageWoodworks
said:

Finished my cherry bookcase. *1.5 months of work (took longer than
anticipated).

Thanks for the videos. In watching them, I found an answer to something
puzzling me about a current project. Of course, I can no longer
remember what that answer was -- but let's hope I internalized it and
will incorporate said solution...

What is the trade name of the wax resist you used to minimize glue clean up?

Lovely case, and the best use of exercise equipment, too!

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2011-06-25 18:49:55 -0400, GarageWoodworks
said:

Finished my cherry bookcase. 1.5 months of work (took longer than
anticipated).

Thanks for the videos. In watching them, I found an answer to something
puzzling me about a current project. Of course, I can no longer remember
what that answer was -- but let's hope I internalized it and will
incorporate said solution...

What is the trade name of the wax resist you used to minimize glue clean
up?

It's Waxilit sold by LeeValley

http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/pag...?p=32092&cat=1

Lovely case, and the best use of exercise equipment, too!

Yes indeed. The most action it's seen in months.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jun 25, 11:57*am, GarageWoodworks
wrote:
Finished my cherry bookcase. *1.5 months of work (took longer than
anticipated).

Comments critiques welcomed.

Photos:http://www.garagewoodworks.com/pictu...s/_MG_5864.jpg

Video (Part 6 of build):http://www.garagewoodworks.com/video.php

Beautiful work. Some non-standard details but that just proves you are
an innovator.

Cool video.

- You can create a (disposable) zero clearance base for the bandsaw
pretty easily to kill backside chip out.
- Not sure I like either way you leveled the hard edge on the shelf.
On the router table a standing piece like that is not fun, safe or
accurate per se without some jig setup. The face milling concept with
the handheld is also a little iffy. I use a precise setup with
feathers to cut kerfs in the ply and use splines. Then they are close
enough to one side that you can just sand them, leaving the underside
strong.
- The notching on the table saw again was kind of cowboy. You really
should have some better setup, maybe a sled. I can tell lots of ways
that ends badly and if you are making videos you may have some
liability.
- I didn't see any thought given to expansion at the bottom. You "may"
learn that you needed some over the years
- Nice )safe" jig for cutting the modling miters.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Comments critiques welcomed.

[Not sure why my first post didn't show. I apologize if it is a
repeat]

Beautiful work. Some non-standard detaails but that shows you ar an
innovator.

Critique:
1. Hint: You can easily make a temporary zero clearance for the
bandsaw to stop backside chip out.
2. The two ways you leveled the hard edgeband were neither my
favorite.
- On router table kind of dangerous and inaccurate doing tall
pieces like that without an additional fixture
- Flat fly cutter method is not great, just too easy to gouge out
and just not typical wood practice
- I use slots and splines. Do a tightly controlled (feather boards)
to make the slots indexed to the top face. Then splines. You can just
sand the top and leave the bottom proud
3. Notching on the table saw like that, tall piece on miter gague,
even with an extended fence is kind of cowboy. Lots of really bad
things can happen. If you are making videos you need to consider your
liability and that is not super safe, moving that fast with no
secondary method of keeping that board from falling forward or kicking
up/back except your (flesh hands) which could be easily followed by
your (flesh) face, etc.
4. Good practice to allow for expansion on the top but what about the
bottom shelf? It could expand and cause problems in a few seasons.
Hopefully it will just pop off your cute molding, but maybe this is a
case for a few brads to keep them in place, although that could be the
least of your worries.
5. Excellent fixture/sled for mitering the moldings and the pencil
with the non-slip erase is an excellent little innovation.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Comments critiques welcomed.

[Not sure why my first post didn't show. I apologize if it is a
repeat]

I have seen reports that Google Groups has been having issues the last
bit, for some people.

--
Froz...

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article ,
FrozenNorth wrote:

Comments critiques welcomed.

[Not sure why my first post didn't show. I apologize if it is a
repeat]

I have seen reports that Google Groups has been having issues the last
bit, for some people.

It's been a clusterfark.
Posted to rec.woodworking

should have some better setup, maybe a sled. I can tell lots of ways
that ends badly and if you are making videos you may have some
liability.

Liability? You don't watch much TV do you?

Cherry Bookcase Finished GarageWoodworks Woodworking 26 February 20th 10 02:21 AM
Need to stain cherry to dark cherry CraigT Woodworking 24 October 25th 07 02:52 AM
BOOKCASE. J T Woodworking 0 March 11th 06 07:10 PM
DOLLHOUSE BOOKCASE J T Woodworking 0 March 11th 06 01:07 AM
bookcase help George Snyder Woodworking 2 April 3rd 05 09:21 PM