Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Hard paint recommendation

I'm looking for recommendations for a paint that will cure harder than
the standard variety acrylic latex or alkyd enamel available in
hardware stores. Use to be indoors without any particular concerns
for water or chemical resistance. My past experience with the above
paints has resulted in premature wear on items subject to some hard
use. My requirements are that it be suitable for rolling/brushing or
available in a spray can since I don't have an appropriate spray rig.
I also want a one-part formulation, preferably available in sizes
smaller than 1 gallons. My initial research points to
urethane-modified alkyds such as Interlux Brightside, Pettit Easypoxy,
Epifanes monourethane, etc. used for boat painting.

I've found that the standard test for paint hardness is the pencil
hardness test. However, the specs for this value are often only
available for the paints for the industrial market, and I'm not sure
how well the values compare across suppliers due to variability in the
test as acknowdedged in the ASTM method.

Any recommendations?

Thanks,
John
Suffolk, VA
remove knowspaam for email
Posted to rec.woodworking

"John Mitchell" wrote in message
[...]

Have you considered paint intended for floors?
Art

Posted to rec.woodworking

John Mitchell wrote:

I'm looking for recommendations for a paint that will cure harder than
the standard variety acrylic latex or alkyd enamel available in
hardware stores. Use to be indoors without any particular concerns
for water or chemical resistance.

Alright - indoors... for what? Floor? Walls? Ceiling? Doors?

My past experience with the above
paints has resulted in premature wear on items subject to some hard
use.

Like explanation would be helpful. You really don't think your requirements
are sufficient for any reasonable response, do you? "I want a hard paint,
and I've found other paints not to be hard enough..."

I've found that the standard test for paint hardness is the pencil
hardness test. However, the specs for this value are often only
available for the paints for the industrial market, and I'm not sure
how well the values compare across suppliers due to variability in the
test as acknowdedged in the ASTM method.

Any recommendations?

Not really - don't know what it is that you want. For a starting point at
least, what is the application, what pencil test hardness do you think you
want and why do you think that?s

Posted to rec.woodworking

John Mitchell wrote:
[...]

appliance epoxy paint.

the paint on all my kitchen door pulls was chipping off after about 9 years
of not very heavy use. it wasn't well bonded to the underlying metal. i
sandblasted all the pulls down to bare metal, which left a pretty matte
surface. i then followed up with 2 coats of appliance epoxy paint (rustoleum
rattle cans from HD). it was pretty soft even after being left in the sun
for a few days. i fired them in my kiln at 350F for 4 hours. now, it's
extremely hard paint and hasn't shown any markings or chips in a couple of
years.

Posted to rec.woodworking

chaniarts wrote:

appliance epoxy paint.

the paint on all my kitchen door pulls was chipping off after about 9
years of not very heavy use. it wasn't well bonded to the underlying
metal. i sandblasted all the pulls down to bare metal, which left a
pretty matte surface. i then followed up with 2 coats of appliance
epoxy paint (rustoleum rattle cans from HD). it was pretty soft even
after being left in the sun for a few days. i fired them in my kiln
at 350F for 4 hours. now, it's extremely hard paint and hasn't shown
any markings or chips in a couple of years.

Cause and effect. It's not that the epoxy is better in your application,
it's more that the prep was not done right. Any paint should hold up for
that application, if the prep is proper.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

Thanks,
John
Suffolk, VA
remove * knowspaam for email

Hammerite in a spray can, or you can get quarts as well. I have a
steel pipe mailbox that I painted in 1996 and it is `just now` looking
like it could use a touch up. It is full of xylene and porcelain
chips in suspension... and cures hard as a rock. Comes in lots of
colors too.

wouldn't recommend it for wooden surfaces unless you are sure the wood
won't move (i.e. seal all sides) much.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jun 22, 9:04*pm, John Mitchell
wrote:
[...]

Tinted nitro lacquer, or nitro over a colored base coat.