Posted to rec.woodworking

Default facing vice with leather

What type of glue would you use to put a leather face on a vice?
I was thinking 3M super 77, but want opinions.

Also when cutting the leather to shape, the old timers used a mallet and
just hit the edges. Was it a rubber or wooden mallet?
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jun 22, 6:19*pm, tiredofspam nospam.nospam.com wrote:

What type of glue would you use to put a leather face on a vice?
I was thinking 3M super 77, but want opinions.

I use Barge Cement. It's pretty much the leatherworker's go-to
contact cement, but any contact cement or caulk would do. Mainly it's
getting the metal totally clean.

Also when cutting the leather to shape, the old timers used a mallet and
just hit the edges. Was it a rubber or wooden mallet?

Hit the edges? Why? Do you mean to insure contact? Just glue up the
leather oversize, clamp the vise shut, and then trim the leather to
size following the vise jaw contours.

Posted to rec.woodworking

I'm not attaching the leather to metal,
I'm attaching to a wood face.

Because the old timers trimmed the leather by just hitting the leather.
It was a very efficient way of trimming. I just don't remember whether I
heard what type of mallet they used.

On 6/22/2011 8:40 PM, RicodJour wrote:
On Jun 22, 6:19 pm, tiredofspamnospam.nospam.com wrote:

What type of glue would you use to put a leather face on a vice?
I was thinking 3M super 77, but want opinions.

I use Barge Cement. It's pretty much the leatherworker's go-to
contact cement, but any contact cement or caulk would do. Mainly it's
getting the metal totally clean.

Also when cutting the leather to shape, the old timers used a mallet and
just hit the edges. Was it a rubber or wooden mallet?

Hit the edges? Why? Do you mean to insure contact? Just glue up the
leather oversize, clamp the vise shut, and then trim the leather to
size following the vise jaw contours.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"tiredofspam" nospam.nospam.com wrote in message
What type of glue would you use to put a leather face on a vice?
I was thinking 3M super 77, but want opinions.

Just about any contact cement should work. I've used Pliobond and
Weldwood with success.

Also when cutting the leather to shape, the old timers used a mallet and
just hit the edges. Was it a rubber or wooden mallet?

I've never heard of this before. Could also have been a rawhide mallet.
Art

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 22 Jun 2011 19:48:32 -0700, "Artemus"
wrote:

"tiredofspam" nospam.nospam.com wrote in message
What type of glue would you use to put a leather face on a vice?
I was thinking 3M super 77, but want opinions.

Just about any contact cement should work. I've used Pliobond and
Weldwood with success.

I'd glue leather to wood vise inserts with super77, contact cement, or
good old Titebond.

Also when cutting the leather to shape, the old timers used a mallet and
just hit the edges. Was it a rubber or wooden mallet?

I've never heard of this before. Could also have been a rawhide mallet.

Wood mallet. You don't want to break down the lower surface but you
want as solid and flat a hit as possible.

--
"Human nature itself is evermore an advocate for liberty.
There is also in human nature a resentment of injury, and

Posted to rec.woodworking

RicodJour wrote:

I use Barge Cement.

Good stuff.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jun 22, 10:32*pm, tiredofspam nospam.nospam.com wrote:

I'm not attaching the leather to metal,
I'm attaching to a wood face.

Ah. You didn't mention that. In that case use Barge cement.

Because the old timers trimmed the leather by just hitting the leather.
It was a very efficient way of trimming. I just don't remember whether I
heard what type of mallet they used.

I've worked leather for a while now, and I've never heard of trimming
leather by pounding it. Frankly, I don't see how that's possible if
you're mounting it to wood. You'd beat the living **** out of the
leather and it still wouldn't cut it cleanly. If you were pounding it
against a sharp metal edge, maybe, but why not just use a knife? Even
if the efficiency somehow was less than this other method you read
about, a knife couldn't take more than a few minutes to trim the
leather on the vice faces.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2011-06-24, RicodJour wrote:
[...]

This comes propably from metalworking folks. They don't have so often a good
knife with them as woodworkers. Leather can be cut by pounding with a heavy
wooden mallet if there is a sharp edge under it. Sometimes things like
bookmarks are made thus.

Much easier to use a knife or a plane. I use this to even leather ends.
http://www.biltema.fi/osteri/data/we...e/16-444_h.jpg

seismo malm
Posted to rec.woodworking

Subject

Trim learher proud with an Xacto knife.

Attach leather with Barge cement.

File leather flush with a 10" flat ******* file.

Grab a beer and adnire your handy work.

Have fun.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jun 24, 7:44*pm, "Lew Hodgett" wrote:
Subject

Trim learher proud with an Xacto knife.

Attach leather with Barge cement.

File leather flush with a 10" flat ******* file.

Grab a beer and adnire your handy work.

Have fun.

Lew

I glued mine with yellow glue, cut close with a knife, cleaned up with
a flush trim bit and then put an eigth-inch roundover on it. No
problems at all, other than the leather isn't real tacky so stuff
tends to want to slide a bit. I wonder if epdm would be a better way
to go?
JP

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article ,
Seismo R. Malm wrote:
On 2011-06-24, RicodJour wrote:
[...]

That little plane is _SO_ cute, but for trimming leather, you just GOT
to have one of these!

http://www.supertool.com/stanleybg/stan2.htm#num11

Posted to rec.woodworking

I couldn't resist these http://goo.gl/OLtFv

but these are even cuter, wot? http://goo.gl/cVftl

--
Invest in America: Buy a CONgresscritter today!
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2011-06-25, Jay Pique wrote:
On Jun 24, 7:44*pm, "Lew Hodgett" wrote:
Subject

Trim learher proud with an Xacto knife.

Attach leather with Barge cement.

File leather flush with a 10" flat ******* file.

Grab a beer and adnire your handy work.

Have fun.

Lew

I glued mine with yellow glue, cut close with a knife, cleaned up with
a flush trim bit and then put an eigth-inch roundover on it. No
problems at all, other than the leather isn't real tacky so stuff
tends to want to slide a bit. I wonder if epdm would be a better way
to go?
JP

Leather is very often treated with oils&waxes (etc. this trade has got very much
variance). So it might help if you vipe the surfaces with acetone or
isopropyl alcohol.

seismo malm
Posted to rec.woodworking

In article ,
Seismo R. Malm wrote:
On 2011-06-24, RicodJour wrote:
[...]

This is propably collectors item. Spokeshaves work pretty well with leather
and so does almost all little planes. For example Mujingfang makes suitable
ones, too bad nobody is selling them on Ebay (Dictum in Germany is selling
them but it would propably be cheaper to get them from Hong Kong directly).

http://www.mehr-als-werkzeug.de/prod...ane/detail.jsf

seismo malm