Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Jute Chinking - Oakum source...

Additionally, I spoke to an oldtimer, still in business, who said
packing floor gaps with jute, or similar, is rarely done anymore. He
recalled packing floor gaps with plumbers waxed cording, the stuff
plumbers used on cast iron piping. I remarked, that sounded similar
to what was used to pack boat shaft boxing, long ago. He said it was
the same stuff. He didn't recall the name of that packing and I don't
know, either. As for as using a waxed cording, long ago, I'm sure
floor finishing/refinishing techniques, if any in some of those cases,
were different than now, allowing for the waxed cording in some cases.

Sonny

For anyone curious or interested, oakum jute for caulking is still
available...

http://www.pollardwater.com/pages_product/P642oakum.asp
http://www.pollardwater.com/pages_other/contact_info.asp

--
Digger
Bob O'Dell

Posted to rec.woodworking

For anyone curious or interested, oakum jute for caulking is still
available...

http://www.pollardwater.com/pages_product/P642oakum.asp
http://www.pollardwater.com/pages_other/contact_info.asp

--
Digger
Bob O'Dell

Previous replies to my post... I knew someone would know what the
product was. Oakum! ^5.

That oakum is greased. Maybe some oakum, there, is waxed, also. If
one wants to color match a flooring, they need to get a raw, stainable
jute. Greased or waxed oakum may not allow for finishing/sealing a
"repair", either, if need be. Buying your own twine/rope allows one
to get the best diameter size, or multiple sizes, to fit the need(s).
Many floors have varying size gaps, especially older plank floors.

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/11/2011 11:42 AM, Sonny wrote:

For anyone curious or interested, oakum jute for caulking is still
available...

http://www.pollardwater.com/pages_product/P642oakum.asp
http://www.pollardwater.com/pages_other/contact_info.asp

--
Digger
Bob O'Dell

Previous replies to my post... I knew someone would know what the
product was. Oakum! ^5.

That oakum is greased. Maybe some oakum, there, is waxed, also. If
one wants to color match a flooring, they need to get a raw, stainable
jute. Greased or waxed oakum may not allow for finishing/sealing a
"repair", either, if need be. Buying your own twine/rope allows one
to get the best diameter size, or multiple sizes, to fit the need(s).
Many floors have varying size gaps, especially older plank floors.

Sonny

Yep, understood. I was simply pointing out that, evidently it is still
in demand and being used at least in the plumbing industry ...came as a
huge surprise to me!

Cheers,

--
Digger
Bob O'Dell

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Sonny" wrote in message

For anyone curious or interested, oakum jute for caulking is still
available...

http://www.pollardwater.com/pages_product/P642oakum.asp
http://www.pollardwater.com/pages_other/contact_info.asp

--
Digger
Bob O'Dell

Previous replies to my post... I knew someone would know what the
product was. Oakum! ^5.

That oakum is greased. Maybe some oakum, there, is waxed, also. If
one wants to color match a flooring, they need to get a raw, stainable
jute. Greased or waxed oakum may not allow for finishing/sealing a
"repair", either, if need be. Buying your own twine/rope allows one
to get the best diameter size, or multiple sizes, to fit the need(s).
Many floors have varying size gaps, especially older plank floors.

Sonny

Sonny:

Thanks for going the extra mile on the jute option.
I cut some very thin pieces off scrap repair stock
and we'll see how that goes. But I appreciate your
extra effort and put a plus in your account.

Wasn't that song "The Old Oakum Bucket"?
No, but that might have been an area of application
for the material.

Regards,

Edward Hennessey

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Digger" wrote in message

[...]

BOD:

Here's an acronym the Internet gave me: TIL.
Today I learned oakum can be jute. A quick,
further look said it can also be hemp or, more
widely, "rope fiber" used as a sealant with
various impregnating compounds.

Thanks.

Regards,

Edward Hennessey

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 11 May 2011 19:05:26 -0700, "Edward Hennessey"
wrote:

"Digger" wrote in message
.. .

[...]

"rope fiber" - generally either hemp, jute, or Sisal, or a blend of 2
or more. Other fibers can also be used, including synthetics and
cotton (most often used in "cording", not "rope")